Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No More Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel No Longer Offered

Note: AA no longer refunds tickets purchased within the seven days of flight time frame when one cancels within 24 hours, as of 12 June 2015.

Please follow that topic / policy here: AA No more Refunds within 24 hours if booked inside 7 day window

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

1) Allowing one to "hold" a booking for 24 hours rather than purchase immediately. Unfortunately, some may not know this and purchase thinking they can cancel within 24 hours free of fees or cost.

Q: How do I "Hold" a reservation?
A: You may place your reservation on hold for 24 hours if you are booking your reservation seven or more days prior to departure. When you make a reservation on aa.com for American Airlines flights, including American flights operated by codeshare partners, look for the “Free 24 hour hold” option on the “Review and Pay” page during the booking process.

AA Reservations FAQ - Link
Hold Your Reservation On aa.com (Link)

As a convenience for your travel planning, aa.com offers hold* options during booking. You may place your reservation on hold for up to 24 hours for free, or you may pay to place your reservation on hold for an extended time period. When you make a reservation on aa.com for American Airlines flights, including American flights operated by codeshare partners, look for the "Hold" option on the "Review and Pay" page during the booking process.

Hold your reservation for 24 hours or more
* Did you find a good fare, but need more time? Hold your trip.
Here's how it works:
* All holds are free for the first 24 hours.
* If you choose to hold longer, you’ll be charged after 24 hours.
* Hold charges are non-refundable.
* When you’re ready, go to the confirmation email or My Trips to pay for or cancel your trip.
* Be sure to pay with a credit card from the same country you used to hold your trip or your fare may change.
Once you select the Hold option, the Free Hold and Extended Hold offers will display:

Book your flight now!

* Actual hold period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.
2) If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process.. The DOT does not require a refund for cancelation within 24 hours of purchase, nor a 24 hour hold. AA used to allow refunds within 24 hours of booking within the seven day purchase to flight time frame; it no longer does so as of 12 June 2014.

Link to PDF USDOT "Guidance on the 24-Hour Reservation Requirement"

Updated 1 July 2015

Print Wikipost

No More Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Terrible news for me personally. I don't think I've booked a ticket in the last 10 years that I didn't hold first. But I guess there is a war against people holding fictitious seats for selfish purposes and this is the result.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Globehopper
Just another cut that chips away at the once great airline.

+ 1000

And sadly this is only the beginning.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vasantn
Terrible news for me personally. I don't think I've booked a ticket in the last 10 years that I didn't hold first. But I guess there is a war against people holding fictitious seats for selfish purposes and this is the result.
You did catch that this is applicable to travel within 7 days, not across the board.

Are you saying that you all your tickets in the last 10 years were booked inside a 7 day window?

Regards
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
You did catch that this is applicable to travel within 7 days, not across the board.

Are you saying that you all your tickets in the last 10 years were booked inside a 7 day window?

Regards
Close to 50%.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
This will suck when a cancellation happens and there are long hold times, I typically now can go on the mobile app, find the flight I want to change to, put it on hold, and then when I get to either a phone agent or airport agent they can rebook me on that flight, now if I buy it outright I would imagine I am stuck paying for the new ticket....

Anyone else have thoughts on this situation? This happened a lot this year with the weather issues.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
Close to 50%.
Fair enough.

Regards
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by lexicon77
This will suck when a cancellation happens and there are long hold times, I typically now can go on the mobile app, find the flight I want to change to, put it on hold, and then when I get to either a phone agent or airport agent they can rebook me on that flight, now if I buy it outright I would imagine I am stuck paying for the new ticket....

Anyone else have thoughts on this situation? This happened a lot this year with the weather issues.
Yes. The thought, as pretty clearly outlined in this thread, is that the scenario you just described above will not work anymore and for many that is a bummer. But it is pretty cut and dry, not a lot of fuzziness here; the button to hold is simply gone...

Regards
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
DP Why do you hate us?

Really Doug? Really? You couldn't help yourselves could you? One of those minor details that meant so much but got so little coverage. I definitely chose to spend the extra $25-50 on domestic short haul because I could do this while making other arrangements safe in knowing I don't have to try and figure out whether I will get a refund 24hrs post.

I guess its worth it for the newAA, but at what cost?

I never thought I would ever ever utter these words -- Southwest just looked a little better with that never ending price adjustment!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. This change does not violate DOT rules. The DOT rules carve out the 7-day period prior to travel.

2. Another example of what happens when there are too many gamers. Just look at FT where people actually advise others to do this in order to increase their shot at an UG when the space isn't ticketed. That is called inventory spoilage and you can see that AA is agressively fighting this on all fronts, not just cancellations. Just take a look at the threads regarding people who book and cancel space and have their AA accounts shut down.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Originally Posted by Often1

2. Another example of what happens when there are too many gamers. Just look at FT where people actually advise others to do this in order to increase their shot at an UG when the space isn't ticketed. That is called inventory spoilage and you can see that AA is agressively fighting this on all fronts, not just cancellations. Just take a look at the threads regarding people who book and cancel space and have their AA accounts shut down.
Rather than use the proverbial broad sword, if this is what AA is really concerned with, inventory spoilage by UG gamers, there is a more surgical solution. Just require that in order to make a hold one has to log into their AAdvantage account (one populated with verified identification details, e.g. passport or known traveller id number). That should be deterrent enough for most people and still provides a genuine benefit to frequent flyers.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by TopGunner
Really Doug? Really? You couldn't help yourselves could you?
He's happily following UA to the bottom. I can't wait to see what he has in store for us next!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:08 am

They should make this an option for PLT and EXP at least. This is very frustrating. This was a big advantage from AAdvantage!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Did this change on Monday?

I was able to hold a last minute flight Saturday night for Sunday both on the phone and online.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
IMO, the close in hold will return as an "enhancement" (up-sell). At some point we will be offered the "new" feature of "Not ready to decide? Put your flight on hold for 48 hours (because they have to make it better than the formerly free 24 hours) for only $X." If you book within 48 hours the hold charge is deducted from the price. Really, even a $.99 hold fee would dramatically cut down on inventory spoilage, but once they can get away charging a fee, they're going to want to make money on it. I'm guessing about $5.

Of course, if they just switched from free hold to paid hold, people would have complained. So now, when they roll out this paid hold, people will be grateful. I figure we'll be seeing this in 60-90 days. And along with that, an enhanced hold for more than 7 days out.

The reason I think this will be a little different is that most new fees and charges are directed at more casual flyers. This is one aimed squarely at the most frequent flyers and business travelers so I have to believe there will be a part two to this story.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by skunker
Maybe a response to people holding J and F seats to increase their chances of upgrade?
Are there really that many people who want to lend AA that much money to try for an upgrade in that way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.