Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Class Ticket..Business Class Seat Assignment

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Economy Class Ticket..Business Class Seat Assignment

FL refugee here and new to AA thread. Need help (or some guidance to a thread that might be useful) Unfamiliar with AA SOP's

Recently booked two Economy award tickets on a 9 hour flight. Triple 7 metal. Was lucky enough to be assigned seating in Row 13 which is definitely Business. Ticket still says Economy. Will I be receiving full business amenities (ie food, entertainment etc) or will I be an Economy passenger occupying an extremely comfortable seat?

The latter option is quite acceptable but it would help to know what to expect.

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:20 pm

What is the routing/flight #? It would seem very, very unusual to have a ticket booked in economy, with economy on the itinerary or BP, but be seated in the business cabin. You sure it's not a 767 flight?

That said, if you did get seated in business, you'd theoretically get the full business class service (unless it was some sort of gate upgrade where they specifically told you they didn't have the seat catered, or something like that).
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
do you have any elite status (or on a challenge or similar)?

what's the routing?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When international configured 777s do domestic routes, the business cabin is sold as economy and elites are put into these seats as this cabin is treated as the extra leg room section. If this is an international flight, then you've received an opup. More details of the route is needed to give you an accurate answer though.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

I am not an elite

Three business seats were open to Economy passengers

I do not have alot of recent AA experience so I dont know how unusual it is

AA 940 SCL -> DFW

Dave_261 answered my question
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Possibly an UP fare where you paid economy and UPed to business? Something is off here if that wasn't the case (not aware if UP fares are available in this market).
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Possibly an UP fare where you paid economy and UPed to business? Something is off here if that wasn't the case (not aware if UP fares are available in this market).
No clue, It was award ticket. What is an UP fare?

I think that I should just count my blessings
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261
That said, if you did get seated in business, you'd theoretically get the full business class service (unless it was some sort of gate upgrade where they specifically told you they didn't have the seat catered, or something like that).
This is incorrect. You see the 777 and 77W on LAX-DFW routinely (less so for the later). It's only sold as two cabin and service is only that of two cabin. It's F/Y not F/J/Y.

Think of this as Extra Extra Main Cabin Extra. Nice seat, same service as anyone else in Y.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
This is incorrect. You see the 777 and 77W on LAX-DFW routinely (less so for the later). It's only sold as two cabin and service is only that of two cabin. It's F/Y not F/J/Y.

Think of this as Extra Extra Main Cabin Extra. Nice seat, same service as anyone else in Y.
Fair point, although the OP did point out that it was a 9-hour flight, which clearly was international.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by henryf
FL refugee here and new to AA thread. Need help (or some guidance to a thread that might be useful) Unfamiliar with AA SOP's

Recently booked two Economy award tickets on a 9 hour flight. Triple 7 metal. Was lucky enough to be assigned seating in Row 13 which is definitely Business. Ticket still says Economy. Will I be receiving full business amenities (ie food, entertainment etc) or will I be an Economy passenger occupying an extremely comfortable seat?

The latter option is quite acceptable but it would help to know what to expect.

Thanks
If it is a 777 (and that would be consistent w/SCL-DFW) indeed row 13 is business and thus you have placed in the incorrect cabin for an economy award. You should not count on occupying the seats on the actual flight.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261
Fair point, although the OP did point out that it was a 9-hour flight, which clearly was international.
But OP also holds a Y ticket. Based on a Y ticket there would be no reason to expect J service. I was just using LAX-DFW as an example of other places 3 class equipment is used as 2 class and how it is handled.

Originally Posted by bdemaria
If it is a 777 (and that would be consistent w/SCL-DFW) indeed row 13 is business and thus you have placed in the incorrect cabin for an economy award. You should not count on occupying the seats on the actual flight.
Unless the 777 retrofit as 2 cabin that we've been hearing about is done by OP's flight, then it's possible that this is a 3 cabin plane being sold as 2 cabin, which would put J in the Y cabin.

Pulling up a handful of other dates shows this being flown by a 763 regularly, which is setup as a 2 cabin. The 777s are all 3 cabin that I've seen so far, but I know we've heard of retrofits to 2 cabin here on FT.

Last edited by PainCorp; Mar 3, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No retrofitted 772s I'm aware of flying in revenue service at the moment. One was to be trialled, then no more until Q3 2014.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by PainCorp

Unless the 777 retrofit as 2 cabin that we've been hearing about is done by OP's flight, then it's possible that this is a 3 cabin plane being sold as 2 cabin, which would put J in the Y cabin.

Pulling up a handful of other dates shows this being flown by a 763 regularly, which is setup as a 2 cabin. The 777s are all 3 cabin that I've seen so far, but I know we've heard of retrofits to 2 cabin here on FT.
If the OP isn't traveling for some time, this could explain it. Jan '15 SCL-DFW shows a 2 class 777, row 13 is a coach row. If its in the near future: its a mistake.

Either way, the OP should be prepared to fly coach

Last edited by bdemaria; Mar 4, 2014 at 6:48 am
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
You will be seated in coach when you board the flight, regardless of what you may be seeing now.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
There's an easy explanation to all of this. The SCL-DFW flight is being downgraded to a 767. Unfortunately, the seat maps have not been updated, and up to a few weeks ago you could still buy tickets in F/Z. I know this because I bought 2 award tickets on this route a few months ago and noticed the seat assignments disappeared at some point. After calling the EXP desk I was able to confirm that the equipment was being downgraded till EOS.

While it's true that the 777 may be reinstated at some point, I wouldn't count on flying in J if I was the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.