Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Integration of AA/US During Flight Disruptions Leaves Room for Improvement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

Today has not been my favorite travel day with all the weather on the East Coast. First, flight cancelled that was on AA metal. The good: called AA, and they quickly ticketed me on a US flight (with an AA Codeshare). The bad: When I came to the airport, US wanted $18 for an exit row. Fussed a bit and they agreed I wasn't supposed to be charged. The bad: showed up at the AC -- with my AA ticket on the US operated flight and was told ... QF Club isn't supposed to let you in unless its AA metal. They let me in any way. The bad: US Airways Express is still the operational disaster I remembered from before -- to the plane, no crew, oops back to the gate area. On the plane, oops back to the gate area to wait. The bad: flight cancels -- no alert from AA even though I had an AA flight number. There are 50 people in line. Call the EXP line and learn there is nothing they can do other than book me on an AA flight which isn't practical. They can't protect me on alternate cities like they can on AA metal. The bad: Call EXP line -- they can't help. They tell me to wait in the line. Ultimately, wait in line and get on standby on another US flight. The good: back to the AC where another AC agent lets me in. The semi-good: I see a seat open for sale on the flight. I go to talk to one of the AAngels. She says there is nothing she can do but she calls the US Airways Club to have them help. I walk over to US Airways Club and they issue me a ticket.

Next time .... I'll stick with AA metal as the EXP desk and AC folks have flexibility over AA seats but seem to lose control once they put you on US metal, even if its an AA ticket.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Today has not been my favorite travel day with all the weather on the East Coast. First, flight cancelled that was on AA metal. The good: called AA, and they quickly ticketed me on a US flight (with an AA Codeshare). The bad: When I came to the airport, US wanted $18 for an exit row. Fussed a bit and they agreed I wasn't supposed to be charged. The bad: showed up at the AC -- with my AA ticket on the US operated flight and was told ... QF Club isn't supposed to let you in unless its AA metal. They let me in any way. The bad: US Airways Express is still the operational disaster I remembered from before -- to the plane, no crew, oops back to the gate area. On the plane, oops back to the gate area to wait. The bad: flight cancels -- no alert from AA even though I had an AA flight number. There are 50 people in line. Call the EXP line and learn there is nothing they can do other than book me on an AA flight which isn't practical. They can't protect me on alternate cities like they can on AA metal. The bad: Call EXP line -- they can't help. They tell me to wait in the line. Ultimately, wait in line and get on standby on another US flight. The good: back to the AC where another AC agent lets me in. The semi-good: I see a seat open for sale on the flight. I go to talk to one of the AAngels. She says there is nothing she can do but she calls the US Airways Club to have them help. I walk over to US Airways Club and they issue me a ticket.

Next time .... I'll stick with AA metal as the EXP desk and AC folks have flexibility over AA seats but seem to lose control once they put you on US metal, even if its an AA ticket.
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. I went AA-US-AA on flight cancellation and they had a really hard time going from US back to AA. That was the first and last time that I tried that experiment...all AA all the time.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Sorry to hear of the travel woes. Any seasoned traveler has been through days like this, and they sure aren't fun!

That is why it takes merged airlines 18-24 months, typically, to truly operate as a single airline with a single operating ticket. There are so many facets that need to be synchronized that it's especially difficult with things go awry. Fingers crossed, for all of us, that Parker and Team learn from their CEO colleagues who have gone through this and that things get better quickly.

Safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.