Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA changed my routing involuntarily, do I have any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
One more question, how likely is it that I will be rerouted with one segment on AS metal?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
At the moment it appears I'm confirmed on MIA-JFK with no seat assignment and no seats left. What does this mean in practice?
I wouldn't worry about the seat. Someone will no show or VDB (for the generous sum that AA is likely to have to offer, now that they've oversold) -- and you'll fly.

If no seat opens in F, you may be able to sit in Y, for compensation -- in which case you should still get credit with BA for the original F class, plus the comp $$ you're offered by AA.

Get to the gate as early as you can, and present your situation. The GA should at the very least protect an MCE seat for you, just in case. There's still lots of Y seating not assigned, even though the flight(s) show F0, Y0.

Then as to this:

One more question, how likely is it that I will be rerouted with one segment on AS metal?
Likelihood = zero, as long as you can get to JFK. AA 235 JFK-SEA (on which I presume you are booked) is wide open, and AS does not fly from JFK.

Good luck. Do let us know what happens.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I always thought a ticket, with flights, times and dates, formed a contract.

I didnt realize the airline can put you on whatver flight they want..interesting.
No, the contract is for transportation, and the airline can vary the transportation to get you there if the originally-agreed transportation (the flights, times, dates you booked) cannot be achieved. This includes overbooking. [1]

Don't be too hasty to decry the airline for this: this is what means that they will put you on a different flight, or even a different airline, to get you to your destination - instead of, perhaps, just giving you your money back and leaving you to sort things out yourself.

Since they have a lot more ability to sort things out than you do (such as agreements with other carriers you don't personally have, putting you on a more expensive route at the same cost, and so on) that is worth a lot to you and that is why the rules are the way they are.

[1] This is a simplified view of a complex situation.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rules are the way they are because the vast majority of consumers are perfectly happy with them. If people stopped flying for reasons such as OP's, carriers would either change the rules or go belly up.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Everything was fine in the end. Agent handed BP with seat assignments for original itin when I checked in.

On a side note, service on JFK-SEA was superb ^
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Everything was fine in the end. Agent handed BP with seat assignments for original itin when I checked in.

Glad to hear it.

Have a nice time in SEA.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by wrp96
AA will usually give ORC if you are crediting to AA but usually won't if you are crediting to BA - a common lament on the BA boards for people that get rerouted due to IROPs.
Last year I had booked HND-xHKG-JFK on CX with HKG-JFK on the AA code. On the way to HND, a typhoon halted ground transport and I missed check in. CX rebooked me, but onto CX888. In doing so, I lost a large amount of points from cabin and status bonuses.
I asked QF for ORC and it was posted a few days later. Either CX or AA paid QF for the extra ~8000 points.

Perhaps AA doesn't want to pay for 'extra' Avios.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Himeno
Last year I had booked HND-xHKG-JFK on CX with HKG-JFK on the AA code. On the way to HND, a typhoon halted ground transport and I missed check in. CX rebooked me, but onto CX888. In doing so, I lost a large amount of points from cabin and status bonuses.
I asked QF for ORC and it was posted a few days later. Either CX or AA paid QF for the extra ~8000 points.

Perhaps AA doesn't want to pay for 'extra' Avios.
No, you paid for the points when you bought your tickets.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold

Glad it worked out for you, and welcome to Seattle, where the weather is -- as I trust you expected -- raunchy.

Odds were LOW that AA wouldn't seat you, given your paid F. It's very rare, and potentially quite costly to the airline, for them to ever actually oversell F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.