Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Loophole in new non-refundable policy - schedule change for Int'l ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM

I have a non-refundable ticket that I purchased in Sept for travel mid-Nov. I cannot make the trip. Instead of figuring out when I might possibly be able to travel again, can I take advantage of a quirk in the rules to get a full refund?

The return trip is Bonaire to Orlando. My ticket has me on a flight departing BON at 7:00am and arriving Orlando at 12:10pm connecting in SJU. After the ticket was issued, AA changed the schedule slightly - now the flight leaves BON 7:10am. Arrival in Orlando is the same time, the connections is still legal.

The New Nonrefundable Ticket Usage Rules state "For itineraries with travel dates after October 1, 2002 that include international travel (not including travel to the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico), the following also apply: A refund may be issued if there is a schedule change implemented by American Airlines"

Granted, this schedule change does have me arriving later or departing earlier, so there is no way I could argue that the schedule change it inconvenient. But would I have to? Is there an "official copy" of this rule that I could use in my argument with them (which I'm expecting) for a full refund. What do you think my chances of getting a refund are?

- Kevin
my email is my username followed by AT yahoo.com
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:19 am

Although I have not ever been in your exact situation, I believe that you are entitled to a full refund. There is a copy of the "Contract of Carriage" on www.aa.com with all rules (including the one you quoted above).
One caution: Be prepared for a lengthy delay in receiving your refund (in my experience, usually 2 months minimum and closer to 3 months average) and be prepared to call their non-tollfree number a time or two to
push the refund process along.

[This message has been edited by dogcanyon (edited 10-20-2002).]
Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
I had an international non-refundable ticket refunded in about a week last January because of a schedule change but in my case AA 86'd the flight altogether.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I searched the entire contract of carrage and there was no reference to this refund policy for schedule changes to int'l tickets. However, it is mentioned in the following:
http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omotionContent
Old Oct 20, 2002, 6:04 pm
cxn

Take your ticket down to the airport, say that the flight was changed and you want a full refund. They cant do it at the airport but they will fill out a form and give you a copy. You should get your full amount back on your Credit Card within 4 weeks.

Christian
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Condition of Carriage, which covers all tickets, int'l or domestic, does specify that in the event of a schedule change, the customer can either accept the new schedule or get a full refund.

Of course, any agent you tell this to will know you're just using it as a loophole. Nobody really cancels a ticket for a 10 minute change unless you had an insanely tight transit.

Nevertheless, they will process the refund for you.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dogcanyon:
One caution: Be prepared for a lengthy delay in receiving your refund (in my experience, usually 2 months minimum and closer to 3 months average) and be prepared to call their non-tollfree number a time or two to push the refund process along.</font>
This was supposed to have changed with the voluntary customer service plans the major carriers implemented in 1999 to stave off a legislative solution to customer service problems. AA called its solution the Customer Service Plan. From their website:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">For all eligible paper and electronic tickets purchased within the U.S. with a credit card or cash, refunds will be provided within 7 business days of receipt of the required refund information. </font>
There are some exceptions, such as for lost tickets, but your situation should fall under the standard refund situation assuming that you provide a brief written explanation as to why you're deserving of a refund.

If you run into a delay, I'd point to their own policy on their website.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:39 pm

I wish I had known about this stated policy during my most recent refund experience. AA cancelled their service to Taipei in October 2001 and offered full refunds to passengers already ticketed. Since I had electronic tickets and there was no question whatsoever that they were refundable and therefore nothing to research, I naively assumed that it would be a speedy process. Two months passed and no refund. I called their non-tollfree number and the agent laughed when I said that I had applied for a refund 2 months earlier. She assured me that it was "normal" to take at least 2 months before a refund was processed (I wish I had known about their stated "7 day refund" policy so that I could have quoted it to her). It took another phone call and another month to finally get my refund.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 6:55 am
Original Poster

I spoke to a resv. agent this morning and she said that refunds in the event of a schedule change is NOT in the condition of carriage, but "handled on a case-by-case basis". I looked at the C of C and I cannot find it either, but I will print out the page from AA (cited in an earlier message) and bring it to the airport and see what I can do.

[This message has been edited by ks_8999 (edited 10-21-2002).]
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's covered under

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">AA may, in the event of a force majeure event, without notice, cancel, terminate, divert, postpone or delay any flight or the right of carriage or reservation of traffic accommodations without liability except to issue an involuntary refund. The involuntary refund will be made in the original form of payment in accordance with involuntary refund rules for any unused portion of the ticket. AA will also reserve the right to determine if any departure or landing should be made without any liability except the afore mentioned involuntary refund. </font>
The change of your flight from the originally scheduled time represents an involuntary postponement of the flight. Delay is a flight not taking off on time. Postpone is the flight schedule being changed. As such, you have a right to ask for a refund.

[This message has been edited by Plato90s (edited 10-21-2002).]
Old Oct 22, 2002, 6:15 am
Original Poster

I went to the ORD Int'l counter yesterday to get a refund on this ticket (I started this thread), and the refund request was denied.

- I was told that this postponement is not because of a "force majeure event", it is because of a schedule adjustment by AA. Therefore, nothing in the C of C applies. I was told the C of C does not address ticket refund in the event of schedule changes.
- The "new rules for non-refundable tickets" posted on the AA web site which implies I can get a refund in "incomplete". The guidelines that AA implements are based on whether the passenger is "inconvenienced" by the schedule change. I really cannot argue that 5-10 minute change in the flight time is an inconvenience.

This decision was made after consultation with a Int'l counter supervisor at O'Hare, and a phone conversation with a supervisor in the AA refund department.

[This message has been edited by ks_8999 (edited 10-22-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.