Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Plus Fares and Agent Roulette

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

I had success on this before so now need a reality check. I just spoke with an agent who couldn't understand what I was trying to explain and didn't want to press the issue because of all the weather-related things happening today. But am I right about this?

I bought a Choice Plus fare last week and now the exact itinerary is pricing $100 less. Technically, choice plus means no change fee, so I could "cancel" and then rebook the exact same fare and end up with a credit for the $100 difference, right? I've done this before more than once, but the agent I just spoke with told me there was no way she could do this. I explained I wasn't asking for a refund or a credit but couldn't make any headway.

Is it something about the way I'm asking or should I just try for another agent later?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this pertains to the pre-merger American Airlines, it is being moved to that forum.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
HUCA.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I've done this twice recently with no problem. HUACA.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
I've done this a few times, too. Just call again.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

thanks. forgot to mention in OP that my reservation also has a miles upgrade to A. will I be guaranteed to have that still available if I cancel/rebook or is it not certain the award space will be there again?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
You can do this online, too. I just saved $50 on an itin doing the exact same, paid for the Choice Plus just like that.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone
thanks. forgot to mention in OP that my reservation also has a miles upgrade to A. will I be guaranteed to have that still available if I cancel/rebook or is it not certain the award space will be there again?
Upgrade will be dependent on availability on the new itinerary. That being said, A space is usually available on domestic flights.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Upgrade will be dependent on availability on the new itinerary. That being said, A space is usually available on domestic flights.
Right. But if it is the identical itinerary booked minutes after releasing the original reservation, does the award space instantly reappear too?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:20 pm

Right. But if it is the identical itinerary booked minutes after releasing the original reservation, does the award space instantly reappear too?
Not always. For example, say you booked the original ticket when A inventory was at 5. But time has passed and many other seats have been purchased. If A inventory is now 0, there is no guarantee that it will become 1 when you release the original reservation. Revenue management is context dependent.

All things considered, however, the above scenario is not common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.