Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lounge access if TATL in J, intraeurope in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, BA
lounge access if TATL in J, intraeurope in Y?

My wife and I are going to rome via LHR in may on AA136 in J, but the BA flight to rome is only available in coach. This is an award ticket. A couple of questions:
1. Will they place us in the "paid for" cabin if seats are available (business).
2. I think we have to go from terminal T3-T5, so will we have access to a lounge in T5 due to the next flight being coach?
3. Is it worth it to get a 1.5 hour later flight for a business LHR-FCO? We then wouldnt get in until 1130pm.

thanks for the help, 1st time to LHR.
tim
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
1 Not automatically - you will have to monitor availability and if you find it, call them
2 No - unless you have OW status (Sapphire or Emerald)
3 Depends. The business class seats on BA in Europe are exactly the same as economy with the middle seat blocked out. This would, however, give you access to lounge and might make your connection less stressful (if tight).
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AA 1MM, HHonors DIA
I disagreee on #2. I can't guarantee that the BA lounge dragons will follow the rules but according to the OneWorld webiste:
Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
- First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

- Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

- You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
You may want to print that page if the T5 lounge agent doesn't want to admit you. Also, note that there are two Galleries lounges in T5, just incase you get a particularly surly dragon on the first try.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:08 pm

You definitely SHOULD get lounge access in LHR. I wouldn't know if the dragons deny those connecting from int'l J since I have status, but the oneworld rules clearly allow for access in your case.

Also for future reference, this is the thread for lounge access queries.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ess-rules.html
It can be found with search terms "lounge access".
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by adamki
I disagreee on #2. I can't guarantee that the BA lounge dragons will follow the rules but according to the OneWorld webiste:

You may want to print that page if the T5 lounge agent doesn't want to admit you. Also, note that there are two Galleries lounges in T5, just incase you get a particularly surly dragon on the first try.
I guess I stand corrected on 2.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:23 pm

Just to add. I shouldn't be so negative about the BA lounge employees. They almost always get the rules right but when they are wrong it can be ... difficult to attempt to (politely) correct them.

An aside, I once watched a Galleries Agent confiscate and unceremoniously cut up a BA Gold card that had expired. It was like watching a public castration.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help and the oneworld website info. My first question I meant was, at LHR, will they put us inJ on the domestic portion at the airport if seats are available, because it is a J award? I don't think standby is the right word...
tim
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by yztim
Thanks for all the help and the oneworld website info. My first question I meant was, at LHR, will they put us inJ on the domestic portion at the airport if seats are available, because it is a J award? I don't think standby is the right word...
tim
Was your award ticket issued by AA? If so, I think it may be difficult for BA airport staff to make a change like that. AA would have to do any reticketing, and that would depend on award availability. I'm not sure BA airport staff will even be able to see that you're on a business class award. They may only see that you're booked in coach on a ticket issued by AA.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:57 pm

I think Ready2Go is correct that the BA staff won't know that you booked a business award an the short-haul flight.

If you log onto AA.com and look at your receipt, what booking code is listed for the Rome flight? If it says Y then BA surely won't know.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

yeah, the booking code is X on the BA flight LHR-FCO. Is there a AA customer service counter in T3 that could put me on a "standby" type list or only if a award seat is available?
The bigger issue is it sounds like we should have access to the BA lounge in T5 with our 3.5 hour layover.
tim
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by adamki
An aside, I once watched a Galleries Agent confiscate and unceremoniously cut up a BA Gold card that had expired. It was like watching a public castration.
Not to defend said employee, but quite a few people carry around expired OW Emerald cards, trying to use those to get into First Class lounges when they don't qualify.

Originally Posted by yztim
yeah, the booking code is X on the BA flight LHR-FCO. Is there a AA customer service counter in T3 that could put me on a "standby" type list or only if a award seat is available?
The bigger issue is it sounds like we should have access to the BA lounge in T5 with our 3.5 hour layover.
tim
AA can call BA, but they don't have the ability to put you on a list for BA's flight, as they are in a different system.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO, cutting up an expired card someone is using to attempt lounge access or other perk is just the right thing to do.

You will have access to either of the two Galleries Business lounges in T-5. Now - as to getting those seats in Club Europe instead of World Traveller, there's not a marked difference (and IMO not worth 1.5 hours wait and getting into FCO late at night). At its best, you'll have 33" legroom like this:

We'll merge this into the Lounge Help Desk thread. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.