Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American cancels 750 flights Monday, jet fuel supplies frozen in Chicago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American cancels 750 flights Monday, jet fuel supplies frozen in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Wonder how bad the ripple effect is going to be for Thursday night flights back home
Now I'm sitting here wondering about the freezing point of Ripple.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
I also heard they were affected by groud crew issues because ground crew could not stay outside very long (3-5 minutes max).

The rebooking center in terminal A was backed up to A28 around 2:00pm. It was a complete zoo. They had two AAgents working. I popped in there and gave them both aaplause certificates, I couldn't imagine having to deal with all those upset people.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
While that's very good information to know, it's also possible that the vouchers were due to something else, like taking a voluntary bump from an oversold flight. Even if an extreme oversell is due to weather, those taking a voluntary bump will be furnished with accommodations (in addition to whatever the VDB voucher is offered).
Good follow-up question. The groups I talked to were on PM CANX legs like mine and were late arriving anyway. They didn’t take any bumps (who would with kids). Turns out from my limited interaction they would not have made it to their CANX leg even if it was still on. I did not bore too deeply since the Moms were pretty stressed out - maybe AA just helped them out at rebooking since they had small children? I’ll never know but I’ve never had that happen. But if it did for them I admire AA for helping them out.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Don't worry, it's not the fuel or glycol that froze, it was the water they used to dilute it
As pointed out above, in the case of glycol, this isn't true. A solution of glycol in water has a much lower freezing point than pure glycol.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:06 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by john398
Wow I did not realize fuel could freeze, I know my Absolute does not freeze
Sure it does. put it in an ice cube tray (silicone works well) then pour liquid nitrogen over it.

Wearing your protective gloves, drop a cube in orange juice and as the cube melts the alcohol content will increase.

Alcohol will freeze as will everything else in the known universe except maybe Helium. You should have stayed awake in physics and chemistry classes.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
I've been sitting on an aircraft for over 2 hours waiting for fuel at ORD. This isn't a dig because I support AA working through this, but I do have to ask why united isn't having the same issues with freezing fuel or something associated with fuel.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
From the Chicago Tribune, reported in the last hour:

At Chicago O'Hare, American had "minimal operations" and canceled nearly 380 flights, including American Eagle flights.

"The problem we - and other carriers - faced very early is the fueling pumper trucks wouldn't work," said American spokeswoman Mary Frances Fagan. "Parts were frozen. Fuel nozzles were also frozen and had to be taken to a hangar to thaw out. It's slow going."

Southwest Airlines suspended flights at Chicago Midway airport on Monday, also citing fueling problems. United Continental Holdings canceled 460 flights at O'Hare, including 380 on regional carriers.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,2157061.story
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:29 pm

My AA 954 ORD - DCA was one of the fortunate flights today. The flight was originally scheduled at 6:25am. At 2am I got a phone call that dept. was delayed to 8am. After going to the gate, the GAs kept announcing about the fuel problem over and over.

Finally, after fueling and 2 other MX issues fixed, we flew at 11:30am. It appeared that AA was hell bent on not canceling the flight.....phew!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes. And I thought 8 degrees at JFK early Saturday morning was bad. Ice in the wheel well and a few other MX issues kept us at the gate almost an extra 2 hrs. There were a lot of idling trucks on the ramp around the plane, I presumed that's where the ground staff waited to stay warm.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
It could be more of a viscosity issue at low temperatures, you don't want sludge trying to push through the fuel systems of the planes, or the support equipment.

-Patrick
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Antarius
There could also be an issue with water in the fuel. Wasn't extremely cold temperatures and ice crystals in the FOHE responsible for the crash of BA38?
And also the cause of a DL 777 to lose all power to its engines over Northern China (though not as well known as BA since the pilots got the engines restarted when the water/fuel mix melted. There was a documentary on the BBC about this since it is rare that it took so long for them to figure out what happened. All boils down to the little part that warms the fuel line not engineered well. It's now been fixed and replaced on all 777's. The old one was flat with holes in it for the fuel to run thru. The ice would cover the holes not letting fuel thru. The new part has tubes sticking out so the ice can't cover them
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
I've been sitting on an aircraft for over 2 hours waiting for fuel at ORD. This isn't a dig because I support AA working through this, but I do have to ask why united isn't having the same issues with freezing fuel or something associated with fuel.
They hire more Russians
Seriously, you don't see this happening so often in Moscow & smaller Siberian airports so often. Wonder why? Yes, I know the New York Times would not report these problems but unfortunately I have to put up w my GF's 200 channels of Russian cable in Dubai & never seen it reported there (not that I would understand it anyway but a pictures worth a thousand words
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
In a situation like this, where the airline knows there are fueling problems in the coldest locations, just how hard would it be (logistically) to completely fuel the planes from their inbound destination? I'm sure it's not practical in many situations, but I would imagine that even if it cut down on 10% of the canceled flights, it would improve the overall system and strand fewer people.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
So is the "AA handling WX cancellations better than their competitors" we were told about a couple of weeks ago? Or is the newAA now operated by Parker and Kirby?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by jordyn
As pointed out above, in the case of glycol, this isn't true. A solution of glycol in water has a much lower freezing point than pure glycol.
Huh? No. You mix glycol and water to dilute the glycol so that you can use the right amount for the temp. Too much glycol and you're just wasting very expensive solution. Too little glycol/too much water and you don't have any protection on the wing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.