Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC
AA Lounge at JFK

Hi guys,

Had a look around her but cannot seem to find details about AA Admirals Club access.

I'm a regular flier with British Airways but have not used AA before. I just booked the following award flight through ba.com

Flight number AA0185
From John F Kennedy (NY) (New York) Terminal 8
To Los Angeles International (CA) Terminal 4
Depart 1 Aug 2014 20:55
Arrive 1 Aug 2014 23:59
Cabin Business
Operated by American Airlines
Booking status Confirmed

It's a business ticket, and it is on the transcontinental 3 class A321T but from what I saw, am I right in thinking that this doesn't automatically afford me AA lounge access at JFK prior to my flight? Any guidance on whether I can get in, whether it is worth it of which lounge to choose (if there is a choice) would be warmly received.

I only have bronze BA status so cannot enter on that.

Any opinions and guidance would be great, thanks for your time.

Jonathan.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jonathan Woodcock
Hi guys,

Had a look around her but cannot seem to find details about AA Admirals Club access.

I'm a regular flier with British Airways but have not used AA before. I just booked the following award flight through ba.com

Flight number AA0185
From John F Kennedy (NY) (New York) Terminal 8
To Los Angeles International (CA) Terminal 4
Depart 1 Aug 2014 20:55
Arrive 1 Aug 2014 23:59
Cabin Business
Operated by American Airlines
Booking status Confirmed

It's a business ticket, and it is on the transcontinental 3 class A321T but from what I saw, am I right in thinking that this doesn't automatically afford me AA lounge access at JFK prior to my flight? Any guidance on whether I can get in, whether it is worth it of which lounge to choose (if there is a choice) would be warmly received.

I only have bronze BA status so cannot enter on that.

Any opinions and guidance would be great, thanks for your time.

Jonathan.
Flying in three class Business between JFK and LAX should afford you Admirals Club entry (there are two Admirals Clubs at JFK). You can see here.

Definitions:
Transcontinental Premium Class

Transcontinental flights are American Airlines marketed and operated non-stop flights between the following cities:
  • Los Angeles / Miami
  • New York (JFK)/ San Francisco
  • New York (JFK) / Los Angeles
Passengers eligible for access must provide their government-issued ID and a ticket or boarding pass valid for departure on the same-day.
  • First Class traveling on nonstop, three-class transcontinental flight
  • First-Class traveling nonstop on two-class transcontinental flight
  • Business Class traveling on nonstop, three-class transcontinental flight
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
A little more caffeine says "no" - this is a significant change of origin and will likely require redeposit and selecting a new award. (OTOH< a significant change of plans may make it worth the $150 spend, assuming availability.)

OTOH, one can usually get interisland flights somewhat reasonably and awards can be secured as well.
So will AA let me do a combined economy MileSAAver KOA-HNL (they only offer economy MileSAAver on this route) HNL-LAS Business MileSAAver as a switch for my economy AAnytime KOA-LAS ticket?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JDiver
Flying in three class Business between JFK and LAX should afford you Admirals Club entry (there are two Admirals Clubs at JFK). You can see here.
Great, thanks very much!

Any tips on which one is the better Admirals lounge?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
Thanks, JDiver. You are always an enormous help-even for those of us who read a lot but post rarely!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Searching by fare class; monthly price calendar

Two questions as I leave the darkness(UA) and walk into the light(AA).

1) when booking on AA.com, is there any way to specify the fare class I want to search (Q,B, etc.)?

2) Is there a flexible date calendar for searching for the lowest fare for an extended period (a month like what UA uses for flexible date search)?

Thanks in adance.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by boss315
Two questions as I leave the darkness(UA) and walk into the light(AA).

1) when booking on AA.com, is there any way to specify the fare class I want to search (Q,B, etc.)?

2) Is there a flexible date calendar for searching for the lowest fare for an extended period (a month like what UA uses for flexible date search)?

Thanks in adance.
Nope, but ITA will do both.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:51 am

another newbie question: what makes the status? If I, for example, have enough miles, but not enough points and segments, what do I need to become next tier? Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by brumbrum
another newbie question: what makes the status? If I, for example, have enough miles, but not enough points and segments, what do I need to become next tier? Thanks.
You can qualify for elite status by earning the required number of miles, points or segments during a calendar year:
The above quote comes from this page on aa.com
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:42 am

OK, thanks, I´ve read this too, but my card is still silver. Do I have to wait until the next year to be gold?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
For AA, you can qualify in one of three ways: via miles, via points, or via segments. When you achieve the req'd amount on any of these, then you reach that level of status.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, thanks, I´ve read this too, but my card is still silver. Do I have to wait until the next year to be gold?

AA does not have a silver status.

If you have reached GLD status on AA (25K miles, 25K points, or 30 segments) - it will be displayed on your account page at aa.com. It takes a couple of days for the account to update and it can take quite a long time to get a new card w/your updated status.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jul 30, 2014 at 7:01 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:09 am

I mean the card displayed in "print replacement card". Few months after achieving gold by miles is still silver/grey/or which colour is it...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean the card displayed in "print replacement card". Few months after achieving gold by miles is still silver/grey/or which colour is it...
AA.com does not allow you print elite status cards so if you have status, the "print replacement card" option should not be visible.

Does your aa.com account page read "Gold"? It should say so on the top of your account page, located above the various tabs - to the far right of your name and account number.

Best thing to do: call AA.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:48 pm

Co payment ?

Need to a change a TATL booked ticket
Had an upgrade using miles & copay for the TATL leg
Can I apply to upgrade to any flight on the new reservation without repaying the copay ?
In other words :
- had LHR-JFK upgraded, had to change to a new date with no C inventory
- Can I have JFK-LHR upgraded without paying again the USD 350

(in the original booking the return was JFK-CDG in Y+ with openskies, I may now want to fly JFK-LHR-CDG (where there is C inventory)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.