Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does one bad storm shut down AA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by amolkold
During "Snow-pocalypse" in January 2011, I had no trouble contacting Delta as a then-Silver Medallion.
I've had no problem getting through to AA three times since Thursday for my cancelled flights. Hold time was 0-10 minutes each time.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I've had no problem getting through to AA three times since Thursday for my cancelled flights. Hold time was 0-10 minutes each time.
I wanted to SDC a flight today, couldn't get through as an EXP. No online option. Ended up just taking my original flight in coach for 6 hours.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by soccerpapi
Since so many of the aircraft and crews are or were in cities other than Dallas/ Ft. Worth, you would have thought that American Airlines could use those assets to travel to and from the other hubs that are not affected by the weather.

I know some will say this is not possible, I would have to respectfully disagree.

Airlines used to think outside the box and get people to their destinations by creating new flights on an adhoc basis. Now, the airlines blame everything on the weather and don't really attempt to resolve the situation proactively.

I do understand the weather is still bad in Dallas/ Ft. Worth, but this storm does seem to be affecting the entire American Airlines system.

I hope all of the affected passengers get to their destinations soon.

soccer
I'm wondering how far into the future AA would have to adjust its aircraft utilization plans in order to take some out of their current rotations to reassign them to work around this.

Might be hard to create a new flight ORD-SNA simply because there were enough people on the ORD-DFW flight connecting to SNA to justify it, though, since you have to involve outside entities (airport authorities, FAA, etc.). However canceling ORD-SNA because the plane that was supposed to fly the route is stuck at DFW when you have a perfectly good ORD-DFW plane stuck at ORD to sub in is downright silly!

Originally Posted by soccerpapi
Just my opinion here after more than 30 years of flying experience.

Considering American Airlines was not using the slots allocated for the fights to and from DFW, there's no issue there.

Most of the DFW based crews were in the middle of multi day trips during this situation, so having them fly to and from other hub cities is really not an issue either. They are only going to get back to DFW when operations get back to normal in any case.

Airlines and businesses need to have creative people in charge of their operations, not people that look for excuses why something can't be done.

soccer
Bolding mine. While they certainly don't shoulder all of the blame, I'm sure that the unions have a lot to do with this. Maintaining some semblance of a schedule be damned if crews don't get to bid for their flights based on seniority and just fly based on needs!

Originally Posted by dayone
I agree. More writers and musicians and fewer logisticians and analysts.
Add to that the "fewer" list some of labor negotiators on both sides...

Originally Posted by daru1
I feel bad for all those people (of whom I was one) watching those UA, VX, and Spirit airplanes come and go as if nothing happened.
Would rather be stuck in a terminal, any terminal, than on Spirit!

Originally Posted by Herb687
Takeoff and landing slots DO NOT EXIST at the vast majority of airports served by AA. There's no such thing at most US airports.
Well, other than JFK, LGA and DCA according to the link below...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_slot
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
First off, I'm very fortunate not to be flying this weekend. And I'm fortunate to be in a city only marginally affected by the weather.

That being said, I'm a little surprised that AA isn't running some extra sections in ORD from other major cities to try and get people around DFW. Maybe too many planes are in Dallas to do it, but with all the cancellations at ORD to the east and south, there certainly are enough gates open and crews which haven't timed out to run an impromptu bank of an extra 10 flights, five 737/MD80 from each coast.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:15 pm

I think we can all agree, though, that this would be equally crippling to AA's system if the ice storm hit MIA. And Al Gore could tell everyone "told you so"...

By the looks of things, the only flights I would expect to run their normal schedules on time, with no delays (as a result of the DFW ice) are the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons on 762s. AFAIK, those are the only planes in the AA system which never rotate in and out of DFW...
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Actually AA is preparing all the food for the US merger tomorrow that the IAM members are going to refuse LMAO.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I think we can all agree, though, that this would be equally crippling to AA's system if the ice storm hit MIA. And Al Gore could tell everyone "told you so"...

By the looks of things, the only flights I would expect to run their normal schedules on time, with no delays (as a result of the DFW ice) are the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons on 762s. AFAIK, those are the only planes in the AA system which never rotate in and out of DFW...
That is one side benefit of the WN system - since many flight numbers run 6-7 cities long, they will sometimes just skip a city or two and keep going. So if a hypothetical WN flight was MSP-MDW-STL-DAL-HOU-PHX-OAK, they'd just run it MSP-MDW-STL-PHX-OAK and keep the plane in circulation, even though nobody would be originally ticketed as a through STL-PHX.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
That is one side benefit of the WN system - since many flight numbers run 6-7 cities long, they will sometimes just skip a city or two and keep going. So if a hypothetical WN flight was MSP-MDW-STL-DAL-HOU-PHX-OAK, they'd just run it MSP-MDW-STL-PHX-OAK and keep the plane in circulation, even though nobody would be originally ticketed as a through STL-PHX.
So would they simply cancel some segments and rebook those pax on alternate flights? Or would they fly the aircraft (virtually) empty in order to have the plane arrive in PHX on time for the flight to OAK (and then wherever the plane is going next)?

The other advantage that WN has is that it operates a single type, the 737. By definition, every WN crew is certified on every WN plane so you don't need to worry about having an available 757 but only a crew certified on the 737.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Anyone here in DFW knows this to be true:

If it's a winter storm you better be on WN and not AA. Case in point? I was booked Sat morning on AA to FWA. They canceled that flight. So I booked WN to MDW. Almost all of the WN flights were getting out and we made it on time. Returned this afternoon. Guess what? AA canceled FWA again today.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I was scheduled to fly RIC-DFW-LAX on Tuesday morning the 10th. Flight from RIC-DFW has already been cancelled as of tonight, Sunday evening. I tried calling AA reservations twice, and both times was just hung up on by the automated system when asking for an agent. (I have no status on AA this year, which could have something to do with it).

Fortunately, since I use Google Voice with cheap international calls, I dialed up AA's UK line (011-44-844-499-7300) and, with no hold time, was able to snag a seat from RIC-LAX through ORD for Tuesday morning, getting in around the same time as the original DFW connection. I wasn't sure if the UK line could help with domestic US itineraries, but they rebooked me with no hassles! If you are willing to pay for an international call, this might be a good "hack" to get through to AA during busy times. 18 cents per minute with Google Voice.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When during complicated circumstances, having the choice between using a more complicated operation or a less complicated operation for meeting the same objective, choosing the less complicated operator for the exceptional circumstances is probably a good bet. That may be the case for WN over AA at this time even out of the Dallas metropolitan area.

This sort of gets back to another aspect for not allowing "too big to fail" players to become even bigger in a less competitive market with increased consolidation and related market concentration.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by mile ho
Anyone here in DFW knows this to be true:

If it's a winter storm you better be on WN and not AA. Case in point? I was booked Sat morning on AA to FWA. They canceled that flight. So I booked WN to MDW. Almost all of the WN flights were getting out and we made it on time. Returned this afternoon. Guess what? AA canceled FWA again today.
Isn't it possible that DAL is also more manageable during the storm than DFW (less area for plows to cover, more times when there is a very light schedule due to time of day, etc)?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Isn't it possible that DAL is also more manageable during the storm than DFW (less area for plows to cover, more times when there is a very light schedule due to time of day, etc)?
Friends living near DAL are reporting much better conditions (less ice received) than friends living near DFW. Probably had something to do with the difference in abilities to keep operating.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

DAL, on average, is 2 degrees warmer than DFW. That can be critical when the temps hover around freezing.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Friends living near DAL are reporting much better conditions (less ice received) than friends living near DFW. Probably had something to do with the difference in abilities to keep operating.
That's why I always make sure to check flight statuses at alternate airports when there are disruptions. SFO/SJC, LGA/JFK/EWR, IAD/DCA/BWI, MIA/FLL/PBI for example. Differences due to distance and operations can mean lengthy delays or things running on schedule even within a metro area.

Originally Posted by dayone
DAL, on average, is 2 degrees warmer than DFW. That can be critical when the temps hover around freezing.
Interesting, didn't know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.