Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does one bad storm shut down AA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by hbtr
That works just fine - IF you can manage the expense of a last minute fare on any other airline. Not always so easy.
You are right, but kettle was also trying to point out that if you get stuck for 3-4 days, your hotel nights might cost more than a last minute OW somewhere. If you are missing work for those days, you might have to eat the cost to preserve income streams and/or to get business deals done.

It just depends on your particular situation.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by hbtr
That works just fine - IF you can manage the expense of a last minute fare on any other airline. Not always so easy.
True story.

This. Granted it was also on AA, but still.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by IvanCU
I wonder if AA will do anything for Elite members after the dust (snow/ice) settles. I was frankly pretty surprised to basically get an e-mail canceling my flight, saying it would be rebooked, and then not rebooking it. Especially when I was able to get it manually done when I finally did contact a human being.
I'd like triple RDM for the rest of the year, or through January 18

I have TLV-LHR-ORD-LAX-JFK-TLV with LAX-ORD-LAX in in the middle of those. No stops via DFW...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2

Heated runways? Hydrophobic coatings on aircraft?

Re: scheduling...AA could run a summer/winter schedule where MIA handles most of the flights during winter while in summer DFW handles most of the flights.
Would AA pay for the slots for the whole year?
Are there enough slots available for the traffic?
Does AA move employees for half of the year, or do they simply layoff and hire new ones? Of course, increasing traffic at one airport and decreasing it at another also reflects on other non-AA employees as well. But yeah, sure, let's do this and not increase airfares.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Ex-Plat
Hold times continuing

Exec Plat - last Saturday, stranded in Shanghai, hold time was 1.5 hours due to ice storm. Now it's Wednesday the week after and it's saying 10 minute hold time. This is nuts.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:27 pm

AA was horrible during dallas storm...i waited over 6 hours on phone

I do not agree with most of these posts. AA wash horrible as I used anytime miles to get my son from chicago to austin and needed to change the flight to the next day but could not get a hold of anyone for 2 days! The phone line said call back which I did about 10 times and then got through 2 days later and was put on hold for 6 1/2 hours....seriously...and I finally gave up at 12:30am. My son had to miss a final because I could not change the flight. I asked AMerican about getting a credit since the anytime miles were not able to be used anytime and they just said sorry..we will not do anything for you.

This is terrible customer service and I can't believe this considering I could not talk to a human being at AA for 2 days and could not change the ticket online per their rules. They forced my son to fly a day he did not end up wanting which is why I used anytime miles to start with. Any suggestions? I think I deserve my miles back. We have a ton of miles with AA and they are our primary airline we use.

Thanks,
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:14 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by franticmom
I do not agree with most of these posts. AA wash horrible as I used anytime miles to get my son from chicago to austin and needed to change the flight to the next day but could not get a hold of anyone for 2 days! The phone line said call back which I did about 10 times and then got through 2 days later and was put on hold for 6 1/2 hours....seriously...and I finally gave up at 12:30am. My son had to miss a final because I could not change the flight. I asked AMerican about getting a credit since the anytime miles were not able to be used anytime and they just said sorry..we will not do anything for you.

This is terrible customer service and I can't believe this considering I could not talk to a human being at AA for 2 days and could not change the ticket online per their rules. They forced my son to fly a day he did not end up wanting which is why I used anytime miles to start with. Any suggestions? I think I deserve my miles back. We have a ton of miles with AA and they are our primary airline we use.

Thanks,
Franticmom. Welcome to Flyer Talk. 6-1/2 hours on hold and than you gave up. Were talking about AA. No one is ever on hold over 1-1/2 hours.

If it was 2 days on hold, I would fly your son on WN. I hope your call was on Skype. If not ATT will be calling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.