FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   MERGER: US and AA Dec 9 2013 implications for AA flyers (new) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1526488-merger-us-aa-dec-9-2013-implications-aa-flyers-new.html)

ts3 Dec 3, 2013 8:03 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 21885870)
What these guys do, very consistently, is make financial decisions. They always have. And we can expect them to do the same at the new AA. I don't believe they have any interest in making the new AA look like the old US. Except in cases where there is a compelling financial argument -- all things considered -- to do so.

THANK YOU for a very articulate, reasonable commentary on the merger from a US FF. Very helpful, and much better than the usual "the sky is falling" commentary. ;)

ts3 Dec 3, 2013 8:08 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC (Post 21888939)
My only real concern is that the new AAdvantage Program adopts 4 elite levels, lifetime platinums get the second tier from the bottom and this tier does not come with Oneworld Saphire status.

Ditto.

Although, as all talk like this is pure speculation, here's a possibility: the new AA could just go with 3 tiers as AAdvantage is now. Let all the 75K US elites have EXP for a year, then roll down to Platinum the next year. Pure speculation, yes, but as nothing has been stated on this issue....

Superguy Dec 3, 2013 8:45 am

I'm glad that US seems to be stepping up to AA's standards rather than dropping down. ^

Pinned Dec 3, 2013 8:57 am

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 21893924)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...0-ug-list.html

We can pontificate all we want about the structure of the post-merger Advantage program, but as the above describes, there are some realities of the much larger entity that make much of it moot - particularly on more desirable routes.

I am reminded of a Thursday afternoon BOS-LAX flight a few years back, when there were more than 50 EXPs on the UG list...

I've never seen more than 8 or 9 people on the UG list with flights between BOS and LAX, ORD, etc. Maybe I fly at less busy times or something.

uxb Dec 3, 2013 9:05 am

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 21893924)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...0-ug-list.html

We can pontificate all we want about the structure of the post-merger Advantage program, but as the above describes, there are some realities of the much larger entity that make much of it moot - particularly on more desirable routes.

I am reminded of a Thursday afternoon BOS-LAX flight a few years back, when there were more than 50 EXPs on the UG list...

I'll be flying to SFO tomorrow AM. F is completely full, so I'm not at all shocked that I will be riding in the back. OTOH, my Fri-night red-eye back to JFK is completely empty. All of the elites cleared that list for sure. I expect these flights to become A321T flights in the near future.

SFTNYC Dec 3, 2013 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 21893903)
Isn't a (post-security) connector between B North and B South scheduled to open in 2014? That should solve the Boston combination issue since AA is in B North and US is in B South.

B south can actually combine the merged entity (especially with AA's reduced footprint) if Air Canada moves out of B1-B3. As it is now, the B4-B14 pier is lightly used, and the shuttle doesn't take up all of the B15-B22 pier. Likely will require some RON airplanes to be parked remotely and towed over, however.

Compared to B North, B South is actually pretty nice.

Stripy Dec 3, 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by FabrizioB (Post 21893404)
About American Airlines: Challenges Ahead Include Merging Systems, Changing Alliances, and Aligning In-Flight Service

The good news in this article is that there's still hope for a new livery to be designed. I still can't get used to the 2013 "new american".

I for one hope they don't do anything at all with the livery as I don't care 1 iota what the metal tube I'm flying in looks like from the outside. I'd much prefer they spend their funds on continuing to upgrade the soft and hard products and maintaining the benefits of the FF program. Changing the livery (and therefore having to rebrand all over again) would, IMO, be nothing short of a moronic waste of money.

Xero Dec 3, 2013 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 21891599)
SFO - This one is iffier, I am not sure if there is room to move all US ops into 2. (and isn't AA moving out of 2 eventually?)

Didn't AA lease out one of its gates to VX? (the one visible from the admirals club)

Also the new AA could always make more cuts at SFO to make it work.

lhl12 Dec 3, 2013 9:34 am

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 21893903)
Isn't a (post-security) connector between B North and B South scheduled to open in 2014? That should solve the Boston combination issue since AA is in B North and US is in B South.

Yes, but the US gates will be on one side of the terminal and the AA gates on the other, with United in between. At some point new AA will presumably want to reshuffle the three sets of gates so they can have a contiguous footprint.

diver858 Dec 3, 2013 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Pinned (Post 21894372)
I've never seen more than 8 or 9 people on the UG list with flights between BOS and LAX, ORD, etc. Maybe I fly at less busy times or something.

I was told that AA has / had a contract with a bank(?), where a large number of employees commuted on a regular basis. There were so many EXPs that there was a separate boarding announcement for them.

Pinned Dec 3, 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Stripy (Post 21894578)
I for one hope they don't do anything at all with the livery as I don't care 1 iota what the metal tube I'm flying in looks like from the outside. I'd much prefer they spend their funds on continuing to upgrade the soft and hard products and maintaining the benefits of the FF program. Changing the livery (and therefore having to rebrand all over again) would, IMO, be nothing short of a moronic waste of money.

Exactly. Write "American Airlines" on the side of the plane and be done with it.

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 21894666)
I was told that AA has / had a contract with a bank(?), where a large number of employees commuted on a regular basis. There were so many EXPs that there was a separate boarding announcement for them.

Ahh, interesting. Well then I guess that's more of an extreme circumstance.

ijgordon Dec 3, 2013 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 21892020)
Regarding upgrades there are interesting differences in priority. Both base it primarily on elite tier, of course, but within elite tier US prioritizes based on "the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months". AA bases it on time of request. UA and DL rank by fare class, within each elite tier. It will be interesting to see how that settles out. The AA model works well for me.

Of course it does. :p Obviously a topic that has been discussed before, but while it works for some, I also think it's the least logical from a financial point of view, but probably remained due to IT limitations. And FWIW, I wasn't aware of US's scheme, that's kind of interesting.

Also, it appears that the lowest tier US elite flying on a Y or B fare will trump even the highest tier (CP) flying on a discount fare, and the upgrade can be confirmed any time. AA only upgrades within the stated windows, even for full fare, and elite tier trumps all.
The Y/B advance/top priority upgrades are also logical, from a financial point of view. CO had been doing it for years (and M fares, just below B, also qualified for top-tier). These days, you can buy directly into F in most cases for less than the cost of Y/B, even at the last minute. Domestically there is rarely a reason to buy Y/B unless the cabin is near-full, even last-minute fares on many routes can be purchased in lower classes. Of course, this means that there aren't all that many people on Y/B fares to jump over you in the upgrade priority. Most likely an international connecting passenger.
But if you did have to buy Y/B, chances are FC is only $50-100 more, so think of it like the airline offering a small discount on FC purchases to elites.

lingzhou Dec 3, 2013 10:25 am

does anyone know the rate of the conversion to aa miles from US

ijgordon Dec 3, 2013 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lingzhou (Post 21894948)
does anyone know the rate of the conversion to aa miles from US

With 99% certainty, it will be 1:1.

CPRich Dec 3, 2013 10:30 am

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 21893756)
Give it three years.

And the "no way AA would have done this, even though every other airline has, and every program has historically devalued over time. We know "old" AA never would have followed along, so everything is DP's fault" argument, I assume.

It's starting to sounds as bad as US political discussions.