FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   MERGER: US and AA Dec 9 2013 implications for AA flyers (new) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1526488-merger-us-aa-dec-9-2013-implications-aa-flyers-new.html)

inlanikai Dec 1, 2013 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus (Post 21882844)
We need to agree on an acronym for this new entity.

I nominate UScAAre.

USdispAAire?

To the OP's topic, I think you will see an overall devaluation of AAdvantage both in terms of earning and redeeming miles. My guess is this will be announced in 2Q14. Changes in Elite perks will be announced by the end of 2014.

No specifics as to what, just that AAdvantage will be dumbed down significantly.

The last 33 years were fun while they lasted for me. :(

uxb Dec 1, 2013 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by inlanikai (Post 21884257)
USdispAAire?

To the OP's topic, I think you will see an overall devaluation of AAdvantage both in terms of earning and redeeming miles. My guess is this will be announced in 2Q14. Changes in Elite perks will be announced by the end of 2014.

No specifics as to what, just that AAdvantage will be dumbed down significantly.

The last 33 years were fun while they lasted for me. :(

I think they'll likely introduce some sort of Elite Qualifying Dollar requirement (in line with UA and DL) to further cull the herd. That, and they are going to reorganise the tier benefits and/or add at least one tier (think Silver or Diamond). Good thing I went to TAAhiti on AA's dime this year instead of next. :D Oh, and they will likely drop the second A in AAdvantage (about time).

SFOPhD Dec 1, 2013 5:37 pm

I can't find a way to say this with no snark at all... But is this a speculation thread or a reality thread? So far we don't know what the implications are...

Ambraciot Dec 1, 2013 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 21884292)
I think they'll likely introduce some sort of Elite Qualifying Dollar requirement (in line with UA and DL) to further cull the herd. That, and they are going to reorganise the tier benefits and/or add at least one tier (think Silver or Diamond). Good thing I went to TAAhiti on AA's dime this year instead of next. :D Oh, and they will likely drop the second A in AAdvantage (about time).

I doubt the new USofAA will drop an A anytime in the next couple decades, the EQD requirement may be coming, but not for status earned in 2014 (since so many tickets for 2014 dates have been sold through different channels by both airlines) and valid through 2015, so it's a little early to throw in the towel.

dayone Dec 1, 2013 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD (Post 21884350)
is this a speculation thread or a reality thread?

I think we know the answer to that question.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Dec 1, 2013 5:43 pm

Expect few changes for 2014. Around Q3 new changes to the AAdvantage program for 2015 to be announced, particularly concerning elite status. Wherever DL and UA may go expect AA to closely follow. Goodbye EQMs, hello dollar spend or fare class. The MR forum won't mean as much anymore.

uxb Dec 1, 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 21884369)
I doubt the new USofAA will drop an A anytime in the next couple decades, the EQD requirement may be coming, but not for status earned in 2014 (since so many tickets for 2014 dates have been sold through different channels by both airlines) and valid through 2015, so it's a little early to throw in the towel.

They've already dropped the A in Business ExtrAA. :D The only thing that's really standing in the way of dropping the A from AAdvantage all together is that bottom-feeder car rental company Advantage. However, they're owned by Hertz, so I'm sure the branding rights can be bought outright.

SFOPhD Dec 1, 2013 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 21884371)
I think we know the answer to that question.

Well then, this should be a fun thread :)

Ambraciot Dec 1, 2013 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 21884378)
The only thing that's really standing in the way of dropping the A from AAdvantage all together is that bottom-feeder car rental company Advantage. However, they're owned by Hertz, so I'm sure the branding rights can be bought outright.

If there are any premium pax currently flying with LCC and appreciating their DMs, they may be disheartened if the merged program is named after LCC's onerous discounting program. But I guess that's off topic for this thread because it acknowledges the possible existence of PM US pax.

fishferbrains Dec 1, 2013 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw (Post 21884177)
It is also incorrect in that this is not by the usual definition a "reverse takeover". A reverse takeover is generally used by a privately-held company to go public by taking over an existing publicly-traded company. This is legally a merger of two corporations and should be referred to as such.

This is also somewhat incorrect. A "reverse takeover" is also a reference by employees and/or customers wherein the "lesser" entity (in the minds of the beholders) become the leaders and/or greater beneficiaries of the original "greater" entity (also in the minds of the beholders).

Whether it's a legal definition or not means little to those who perceive that others benefit in unequal proportion to their original position or expectation at the beginning of the merger.

It's virtually impossible to avoid these perceptions in entities of this size. There are promises and expectations on both sides that are likely to be unfulfilled; and it's a challenge for the new leadership how to reset these expectations over time without disrupting the greater ongoing concern.

Xero Dec 1, 2013 6:48 pm

The game is coming to an end. It was really fun while it lasted. The dollar requirement will come. And within a year we will all learn how much (or little) the ranks will be thinned.

But I still believe that the people who mileage run are indirectly profitable to the airline. These flyers are passionate and are fans of the airline they fly, and they will try their best at work to fly the airline, and try to get others to fly them too.

KansasMike Dec 1, 2013 6:53 pm

They've already announced they are going to be using Sabre. Not worried about a COdbaUA SHARES debacle.

Sprezzatura Dec 1, 2013 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 21883390)
cAActUS?

^ cute

WChou Dec 1, 2013 7:24 pm

PreCoupAA?

nall Dec 1, 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by uxb (Post 21884292)

The EQM thing probably would have happened eventually, anyway.

A $10k minimum spend on airfare or $25k minimum card spend does not seem that onerous to me, although they could always raise those later. I'd hope maybe AA would at least be friendly enough to include all partner spend (presuming the partner was willing to transmit the information) and not exclude taxes.