Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preboards and priority access - first class last??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Preboards and priority access - first class last??

I was recently on an AA MIA-MGA flight where the GA apologized boarding would be delayed as she had "over 30 preboards". I literally saw over 15 wheelchairs with family members board and on arrival at MGA wheelchairs were lined up starting from the plane door, up the jetway, and out the access door. After the preboard I was probably number 20 in the priority access line for a first class fare. Never seen it quite this bad before - perhaps there was an orthopedic special in Miami that week.

I don't have a problem with all this if they would save the overhead storage space for first class passengers only and not people tossing bags where they want (or those boarding with excess bags).
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I was recently on an AA MIA-MGA flight where the GA apologized boarding would be delayed as she had "over 30 preboards". I literally saw over 15 wheelchairs with family members board and on arrival at MGA wheelchairs were lined up starting from the plane door, up the jetway, and out the access door. After the preboard I was probably number 20 in the priority access line for a first class fare. Never seen it quite this bad before - perhaps there was an orthopedic special in Miami that week.

I don't have a problem with all this if they would save the overhead storage space for first class passengers only and not people tossing bags where they want (or those boarding with excess bags).
Oddly enough, I just saw something like that on my flight into DFW last week. There were so many. The wheelchair pushers were having a ball chatting away as they waited for their "fares" to get off the plane. They ended up clogging the jetbridge making it difficult for passengers to deplane, and one actually ran a wheelchair over my foot. It was hilarious to see them get confused as to who belonged to which wheelchair, and at one point, one passenger accidentally "stole" another passenger's private wheelchair.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I have no problem with pre-boards being first - that's pretty much the definition (as long as the rules are appropriate and enforced - no "I stubbed my toe, I need to board early).

Why were you 20th in line? Because you were in F, prioritized behind others, or just because you were late in line?

As for overheads - yes, Y pax should have their bags tossed when put in the front bins (and most of my flights are in Y).
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
I have no problem with pre-boards being first - that's pretty much the definition (as long as the rules are appropriate and enforced - no "I stubbed my toe, I need to board early).

Why were you 20th in line? Because you were in F, prioritized behind others, or just because you were late in line?

As for overheads - yes, Y pax should have their bags tossed when put in the front bins (and most of my flights are in Y).
I never mind the preboards going first - I'm just glad I'm not one of them. I do agree that the F overhead bin doors should be closed until they are ready to board F.

What I would like, and I have only seen this once, is for the FAs to make an arrival announcement asking all the passengers who preboarded because they needed the extra time to wait until everybody else has left the plane before they begin to exit. There is nothing like being stuck in the back of coach behind people who needed the aisle chair to get back to their seat, but figure that they have been miraculously healed inflight.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Maybe premium pax first?

Easyjet, a European low-cost carrier, has a scheme whereby you can pay (either annually or per ticket) for priority boarding (and priority checkin, selection of any seat including premium, etc). Their boarding order is paid priority followed by unpaid priority (small kids, pregnant, mobility problems, etc) followed by the rest.

I can get on board with that.

No other carrier I have flown has done this, however.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I was on a BA flight LAX-LHR last year where they did this. Made two announcements that, "We will begin by boarding our first and business class cabins, followed by anyone who needs special assistance, including families. If you require special assistance, please remain seated until all first and business class passengers have boarded."

Really how it should be, IMHO.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
My proposal:

If you used a wheelchair to get on and you bypassed the wheelchair getting off $50 will be charged to your credit card.

This will reduce wheelchair usage by over 50%
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:22 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by alhcfp
My proposal:

If you used a wheelchair to get on and you bypassed the wheelchair getting off $50 will be charged to your credit card.

This will reduce wheelchair usage by over 50%
I'd make it $100, and $500 if you used a wheel chair and expect to sit in an exit row. (I've seen these scammers get busted by a gate agent many times only to be reseated in the back in a middle seat.)
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I could care less. I want to be the last person to board who has OH space for my compliant carry-on. If I could judge that with precision, I would.

Yes, I believe that the OH space above F/J seats should be held for F/J pax, but that's a made-up rule and not part of any known AA policy. It should be published and enforced: announced at the gate with non F/J bags off-loaded and treated as abandoned.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
What in the world is "late in line" for someone with an F boarding pass? One of the big benefits of F is not having to wait in a boarding line. Too bad there are so many gate lice to ruin that experience.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by rjque
What in the world is "late in line" for someone with an F boarding pass? One of the big benefits of F is not having to wait in a boarding line. Too bad there are so many gate lice to ruin that experience.
When the plane starts boarding, there is a line. Sometimes, it can take a while for F to board, and yes, the gate lice make it all the more difficult to tell who is in line and who isn't.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjque
Once they start boarding F, EXP, PLT, GLD and the other groups that use the Priority AAcess line, there is a line, gate lice or not.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by flatlander
Easyjet, a European low-cost carrier, has a scheme whereby you can pay (either annually or per ticket) for priority boarding (and priority checkin, selection of any seat including premium, etc). Their boarding order is paid priority followed by unpaid priority (small kids, pregnant, mobility problems, etc) followed by the rest.

I can get on board with that.

No other carrier I have flown has done this, however.
SleazyJet. I've never seen seats closer together. And a boarding area without any seats, they just herd you together like cattle to wait. An gate agents who, alledgedly, receive bonuses for finging passengers for whom they can charge an extra bag fee...

US Air- priority board fee. Priority seat fee.

To the OPs issue- I have a problem with gate lice who pack the priority line prior to announcement, and whe the GA announces First, all of them board. And I have a problem with GAs who dont board F first THEN others, and with GAs who allow people to board prior to their announced group. As with children, you make rules and enforce them- thats how they learn how to behave....
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I have no problem with pre boards, most of the time they are in Y anyway. In fact, they are my cue to start pushing through the gate lice to the boarding ropes. Group 6 most certainly mean one is seated in F.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
I could care less. I want to be the last person to board who has OH space for my compliant carry-on. If I could judge that with precision, I would.

Yes, I believe that the OH space above F/J seats should be held for F/J pax, but that's a made-up rule and not part of any known AA policy. It should be published and enforced: announced at the gate with non F/J bags off-loaded and treated as abandoned.
For me, the best procedure would be this: F/J boards last. Overhead bins in the F/J section are closed during general boarding and FAs watch to make sure they are not opened. There is a special, roped-off area at the gate with seats in it for F/J pax, who have to show a boarding pass to get in. One of the FAs serves pre-departure beverages in this area. Once everybody else is on board, FAs open the bins in the premium section of the plane, and the F/J pax board, settle in, and the plane departs.

Chances of AA implementing this: zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.