Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Betting on "The New American"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Betting on "The New American"

So I'm a DL loyalist but decided to tack on a series of AA runs for Q4 given the status challenge to EXP. That said, I see literally only two good features about AA currently when compared w Delta: the SWUs and the muzak at landing. For everything else, DL clobbers them in my opinion: plane quality, wifi, entertainment, customer service, flight/gate attendant service, etc. My thought process was during the MRs that I'd get enough exposure to AA that I'd be able to determine if a a switch makes sense. So far needless to say its a resounding "No!"

Is it worth staying w AA for their forecasted new airline (even though it looks like DLs currently)? Are there other features other than those above or award availability that I'm just missing?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
When I moved to DFW a few years ago, I really had no choice but to switch from DL to AA. I wish I had stayed with DL. But it's a personal experience and many other people are very happy with AA. Just all depends on what you want and like to have from your airline of choice.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you like Delta better, why switch? I moved from Delta because I live near Miami and enjoy the nonstops that a hub provides. Plus Delta discontinued the routes I used to fly from FLL.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LucWise
When I moved to DFW a few years ago, I really had no choice but to switch from DL to AA. I wish I had stayed with DL. But it's a personal experience and many other people are very happy with AA. Just all depends on what you want and like to have from your airline of choice.
It's hard for me to find anything about AA that I don't like. DFW-based, it's the only option, sure, but the trade-off is multiple frequencies to just about every destination served by AA domestically and great feeder routes to the rest of the world.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
So I'm a DL loyalist but decided to tack on a series of AA runs for Q4 given the status challenge to EXP. That said, I see literally only two good features about AA currently when compared w Delta: the SWUs and the muzak at landing. For everything else, DL clobbers them in my opinion: plane quality, wifi, entertainment, customer service, flight/gate attendant service, etc. My thought process was during the MRs that I'd get enough exposure to AA that I'd be able to determine if a a switch makes sense. So far needless to say its a resounding "No!"

Is it worth staying w AA for their forecasted new airline (even though it looks like DLs currently)? Are there other features other than those above or award availability that I'm just missing?
I don't agree with your analysis and while to each their own, I think you're not acknowledging some pretty clear and factual AA advantages over DL:

(1) F cabins - generally speaking far more comfortable and spacious on AA
(2) Y cabins - I find AA's seats more comfortable than DL's
(3) F meal quality - for everything short of a BusinessElite transcon, AA's meals are generally vastly superior to DL on equivalent routes. The F meal offering even on DL JFK-PDX dinner was very poor.
(4) Clubs - DL's snacks may be a little better and for a while their free liquor was much better but AA's clubs are far nicer aesthetically and more spacious (DL just crams chairs together, often under harsh lighting).
(5) Mileage redemption - they call DL miles skypesos for a reason
(6) Better upgrade percentages - route dependent of course but in general, AA elites have better upgrade percentages - especially EXP vs. DM (anecdotal evidence only of course). And of course, DL has more upgrade shenanigans than AA.
(7) Alliance - OneWorld is arguably a better alliance but the benefits afforded to OneWorld Emerald definitely trump SkyTeam Elite Plus or whatever
(8) Alliance Integration - now you can't earn MQMs, or earn them at reduced rates on many SkyTeam partners. Not the case with AA and OneWorld.
(9) Wifi - DL is ahead but AA is catching up. And DL doesn't have any int'l wifi. AA does.

I'm sure I'm missing some but that's just a start.

Last edited by sts603; Nov 8, 2013 at 7:43 am
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Well, I know enough to know that the flights I've taken are a very small sample size and that folks on here tend to have similar mindsets. Therefore, I really just wanted to see what, if anything, people loved about AA, particularly from those folks who were DL flyers previously. Assuming nothing, I'm coming to the conclusion you're suggesting: that DL is just better for me.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by sts603
I don't agree with your analysis and while to each their own, I think you're not acknowledging some pretty clear and factual AA advantages over DL:

(1) F cabins - generally speaking far more comfortable and spacious on AA
(2) Y cabins - I find AA's seats more comfortable than DL's
(3) F meal quality - for everything short of a BusinessElite transcon, AA's meals are generally vastly superior to DL on equivalent routes. The F meal offering even on DL JFK-PDX dinner was very poor.
(4) Clubs - DL's snacks may be a little better and for a while their free liquor was much better but AA's clubs are far nicer aesthetically and more spacious (DL just crams chairs together, often under harsh lighting).
(5) Mileage redemption - they call DL miles skypesos for a reason
(6) Better upgrade percentages - route dependent of course but in general, AA elites have better upgrade percentages - especially EXP vs. DM (anecdotal evidence only of course). And of course, DL has more upgrade shenanigans than AA.
(7) Alliance - OneWorld is arguably a better alliance but the benefits afforded to OneWorld Emerald definitely trump SkyTeam Elite Plus or whatever
(8) Alliance Integration - now you can't earn MQMs, or earn them at reduced rates on many SkyTeam partners. Not the case with AA and OneWorld.
(9) Wifi - DL is ahead but AA is catching up. And DL doesn't have any int'l wifi. AA does.

I'm sure I'm missing some but that's just a start.
Don't forget the EXP desk :-)
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
Well, I know enough to know that the flights I've taken are a very small sample size and that folks on here tend to have similar mindsets. Therefore, I really just wanted to see what, if anything, people loved about AA, particularly from those folks who were DL flyers previously. Assuming nothing, I'm coming to the conclusion you're suggesting: that DL is just better for me.
You have to make the determination as to which airline is better for you, no one here really knows that answer to that. I can say I agree with all the points sts603 mentioned earlier and will add that I've run into some truly outstanding AA employees over the past few months as I've started to switch over from Delta. People who have gone above and beyond to make me feel welcome and valued as a customer. That's an attitude I never really experienced at DL outside of maybe the Chisholm call center.

Now it's anyone's guess as to what all this will look like once the dust settles after a merger with Cactus (still hoping every day that somehow gets blocked) however at least for the next year I will continue to enjoy AA.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (WP8 (Amber): Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 521))

Two days ago I was number one on the upgrade list but did dot clear at boarding time. But at least I could board first, was able to secure bag storage over my bulkhead aisle seat, and I knew I'd have a power port for my laptop (I carry my own IFE).

Lo and behold, the smiling GA comes back to my seat, upgraded boarding pass in hand.

Now tell me, is this better than DL's official policy that the passenger gives up all chances of upgrade if he/she elects to board the aircraft? And, does DL offer widespread power ports in the coach cabin??

Each of us has "deal breakers" and the above two are examples of things that matter greatly to me. And that's not even mentioning the EXP desk, which last year instantly fixed a problem caused by a LAN cancellation in Europe (when LAN customer service essentially abandoned me).

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Nov 8, 2013 at 6:32 pm
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
to each their own....if everyone loved AA, our UPGs would be in trouble!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:29 am
Original Poster

One (of a few) attributes that has driving me nuts: my experience thus far has been unpleasant, court gate/flight attendants that don't have any interest to help you - same result wearing suit or "casual gear." Don't acknowledge you when you walk up to the desk, are literally not-to-be-found during flights in case you want a drink. Separately, I've also run into an very firm policy on baggage size (I had to push back telling them that "I always fly with this bag and trust me it fits"). Are these front-line reps incentivized differently than DL? These things I certainly have NOT experienced much with the DL folks, at any airport.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by reeg2
It's hard for me to find anything about AA that I don't like. DFW-based, it's the only option, sure, but the trade-off is multiple frequencies to just about every destination served by AA domestically and great feeder routes to the rest of the world.
As someone who flies more than 75,000 miles a year but less than 100,000 miles, Delta's extra tier is very nice. As a Plat on AA, I despise the upgrade process. It's much easier on DL, automatic and there's no stickers. Like I said, each person has their own priorities.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
A few years back I had to do a lot of business travel to JFK and ATL. All on DL. I manage to get low tier, I think Gold. I was very impressed with DL service overall, the planes looked newer. I even managed to get upgraded a few times as Gold along with my companion.

All in all, the experience was positive, however, since I'm based in ORD, I cant really make DL work for me on my regular travel.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by LucWise
As someone who flies more than 75,000 miles a year but less than 100,000 miles, Delta's extra tier is very nice. As a Plat on AA, I despise the upgrade process. It's much easier on DL, automatic and there's no stickers. Like I said, each person has their own priorities.
The ug process is very easy for my friend on UA too. UDU is free and automatic, and she never gets one.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
The ug process is very easy for my friend on UA too. UDU is free and automatic, and she never gets one.
Unless you are willing to pay for most of them on AA as a Plat, you don't get them either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.