Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Hotel and NYC sightseeing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2002, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MM
JFK Hotel and NYC sightseeing

Arriving JFK c3pm and flying out 9am next day with wife and two small boys in tow.

Suggestions for hotel at/near JFK and for getting to/from Manhattan for a few hours sightseeing ?

Thx guys !
Old Apr 8, 2002, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I know, all of the JFK hotels are going to require you to take a shuttle to the airport, so any one of them should be fine.

To get to the city though, you'll either have to take a cab ($35 flat rate from the airport) from the airport or hotel, or the subway or a bus from the airport.

d
Old Apr 8, 2002, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
Just a thought - since you are travelling with two small kids, it would probably be easiest to take a cab into Manhattan and then use the subway to get around.

Have fun! (The Pokemon store at Rockefeller Center is really popular with the young ones!)

[This message has been edited by MoonPet (edited 04-08-2002).]
Old Apr 8, 2002, 8:55 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I have three kids and always take the subway or the city bus to the airport.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 04-08-2002).]
Old Apr 8, 2002, 9:36 pm

I usually take a bus to Jamaica and then the LIRR into Penn, but that runs $8.75 each way per person (kids would be $2 each way). For $44 (roundtrip total for four) you can take a bus each way into Manhattan. check it out here:
www.nyairportservice.com

While sightseeing check FAO Shwartz and the new Toys R Us. Also hit Mars 2112 for lunch.
www.mars2112.com
Old Apr 9, 2002, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
So once you get there...

You can start out at Fifth Ave and 34 street. Look up, way up. That's the Empire State Building. Go to the top, especially if it's a clear day.
Then walk over to Broadway (1 block) and head north to 42 street (Times Square). Those lights will dazzle the kids. From there head to Rockefeller Center at 6th ave and 49th street. That's the home of the 'Tree' and the Today show.

And if you really want to knock yourself out, hop the train to South Ferry. Take the ferry to Staten Island, get off, and hop back on the next one. (This is free by the way). The views of the NYC skyline are something the kids will never forget. And if you do this before April 11, the beams of light will still be shining at the World Trade Center.

Dan
Old Apr 9, 2002, 8:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
So once you get there...

You can start out at Fifth Ave and 34 street. Look up, way up. That's the Empire State Building. Go to the top, especially if it's a clear day.
Then walk over to Broadway (1 block) and head north to 42 street (Times Square). Those lights will dazzle the kids. From there head to Rockefeller Center at 6th ave and 49th street. That's the home of the 'Tree' and the Today show.

And if you really want to knock yourself out, hop the train to South Ferry. Take the ferry to Staten Island, get off, and hop back on the next one. (This is free by the way). The views of the NYC skyline are something the kids will never forget. And if you do this before April 11, the beams of light will still be shining at the World Trade Center.

Dan
</font>
u the man dan!!!!thats a great 1 day trip.

only thing i would add is the kids should see Miss Liberty.....to see what we stand for!!!

have a great trip pat....

p.s in the cc fourm there is a fifty dollar discount to a couple resturants here is the link http://www.restaurantassociates.com/dineoutny2/

------------------
ITS BETTER TO GIVE THEN RECEIVE
Old Apr 9, 2002, 8:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pppfun:
only thing i would add is the kids should see Miss Liberty
</font>
Nice view of the Statue of Liberty from the Ferry. Ellis Island, too.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MM
You guys are absolute stars ! Many thanks for such positive assistance
Old Apr 9, 2002, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for hotel: I've stayed at the Holiday Inn, the Ramada and the Best Western (formerly JFK Hilton). All are ok, none are great, and right now all are about $100. Next week I'm staying at the Hampton Inn and the Doubletree (which is new).
Old Apr 9, 2002, 10:50 am

Agree with others on the Statue of Liberty, if you have time for the Staten Island Ferry. I can't remember the precise source, but do remember reading in a travel column that the number one "sight" on the list of foreign tourists to the US was the Statue of Liberty. Interestingly enough, number two was the Golden Gate Bridge.

------------------
AAExecPlat; Lifetime AAirpass; 3MillMiles; UApremier-PassPlus
Old Apr 9, 2002, 11:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
As for hotel: I've stayed at the Holiday Inn, the Ramada and the Best Western (formerly JFK Hilton). All are ok, none are great, and right now all are about $100. Next week I'm staying at the Hampton Inn and the Doubletree (which is new).</font>
with this i have to disagree go the waldorf astoria hotel (with the rates on hilton and expedia so cheap right now!!!)

------------------
ITS BETTER TO GIVE THEN RECEIVE
Old Apr 9, 2002, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Got this offer in the mail....can't beat it!

Here are our weekly-featured Special Offers and Value Rates. Rates listed do not include taxes. Search other Special Offers and Value Rates by Doubletree online at: www.doubletree.com/en/dt/promotions

The City that Never Sleeps
The Doubletree Club New York/JFK Airport is located in Queens, only 16 miles from Manhattan. Numerous attractions and varied shopping are within 15 miles -- including Roosevelt Field Mall and Belmont Park. This special offer is available until April 30, 2002 at only $89 per night and includes breakfast.

-- AND, you can double dip with Hilton points and AA miles.....

One note on a previous advice: Beware that the #1 train does not go to south ferry anymore. You can take the 4 or 5 trains to Bowling Green and walk south (about 5 minutes)

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.