Wiki Posts
Search

Update - 1 Million Miles - New EXP Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2002, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Hilton
Update - 1 Million Miles - New EXP Card

AA.com confirmed that I had crossed the 1 Million Mile threshold on March 5, 2002. Yesterday, March 28, 2002, I had a new EXP card delivered via U.S. Mail.

The new card has the 1 Million Mile logo. The original card had the word "Emerald" printed on the emerald symbol; the new one has only the symbol.

The text of the letter from Mr. Gunn:

March 2002

Dear Mr. FlyAAway,

Today, it's my pleasure to welcome you to a very exclusive group. Having earned over a million miles since you joined the AAdvantage program, you're now one of our Million Milers.

Enclosed is your new Executive Platinum card which recognizes you as a Million Miler. Eight 500-mile upgrades have been electronically deposited into your upgrade account. It's our way of thanking you for your business. And, as you may know, your new Million Miler status entitles you to at least AAdvantage Gold membership for the lifetime of the Gold program.

Again, congratulations. We look forward to having you on board for another million miles!

Sincerely,

Mike Gunn
Executive Vice President
Marketing and Planning

The turnaround time for getting the card out was fairly impressive. I actually earned EXP in November, 2001. I received the kit with 8 VIPOW's and 3 luggage tags. Later, I received the renewal "kit" with 8 more VIPOW's.

So, there is your near real-time report. Right now, I am on track to repeat. I must say life is good, but I think the 2 million mile mark will be the milestone that means the most. It looks far off, at times. Last year, I earned 600,000+ miles, so it could be closer than I think.

Again, I am grateful to everyone on FT that helped me achieve this goal sooner than later.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 11:55 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB

Congradulations!! This site will get me there alot sooner then I would have thought also.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Newbie question..

I assume the million mile mark is actual, flown miles (i.e. life time Gold/Plat/EXP qualifying *miles*), and does not include bonus miles and miles from other sources.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 12:19 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jsmeeker:
Newbie question..

I assume the million mile mark is actual, flown miles (i.e. life time Gold/Plat/EXP qualifying *miles*), and does not include bonus miles and miles from other sources.
</font>
Nope. 1MM etc includes miles from all sources, not just flights.

Flip
Old Mar 29, 2002, 1:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
Congratulations! I didn't know AA could be so efficient. I crossed 2 Million Miles last October, and have been waiting for my new 2mm card and VIPOW certificates. I have been calling and calling (now weekly) to find out about it, and the Customer Service Department is confounded as to why I haven't received it. Rep after Rep has told me the record shows that it was sent out 3 times. On today's call I was told that it was sent out on March 21st. When I told them that I hadn't received it, I was told that it was probably just a mail delay. When I questioned a 10 day delivery tim,e they then questioned whether they had the correct address. I pointed out that their Bills, tickets, receipts and award certificates have no problem reaching me.

They as much as told me today, that I should not expect it to be sent any more time. I asked to have it sent FEDEX, and they told me that's not how they do it, and they won't.

The nonsense is unbelievable.

Any suggestions? I seem to have run into a dead end, inasmuch as the supervisor I spoke with today that was no one else I could talk to about this.

Old Mar 29, 2002, 1:33 pm

CONGRATULATIONS FLYAAWAY

I am at 669,000 miles and counting forward. This forum have helped me a lot too. Thanks to every body.

------------------
600,000 Miles, AAdvantage Platinum - Priority Club. Free Flyer for 8 Straight years.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 1:54 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I just wish I had found this site sooner! I finally crossed both EXP and 1MM threshold last October.. after adding nearly 300k miles in the previous three months.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 2:29 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jim90068:
Congratulations! I didn't know AA could be so efficient. I crossed 2 Million Miles last October, and have been waiting for my new 2mm card and VIPOW certificates. I have been calling and calling (now weekly) to find out about it, and the Customer Service Department is confounded as to why I haven't received it. Rep after Rep has told me the record shows that it was sent out 3 times. On today's call I was told that it was sent out on March 21st. When I told them that I hadn't received it, I was told that it was probably just a mail delay. When I questioned a 10 day delivery tim,e they then questioned whether they had the correct address. I pointed out that their Bills, tickets, receipts and award certificates have no problem reaching me.

They as much as told me today, that I should not expect it to be sent any more time. I asked to have it sent FEDEX, and they told me that's not how they do it, and they won't.

The nonsense is unbelievable.

Any suggestions? I seem to have run into a dead end, inasmuch as the supervisor I spoke with today that was no one else I could talk to about this.

</font>
What is your status? I don't have the number on me, but it seems a call to the AA HQ in Dallas is in order.

If you are EXP, when you call, you can ask for the Executive Platinum "area" (sorry, for the life of me I can't remember the exact name but I am sure someone will correct me). I have had a lot better success in calling HQ on matters that, after a reasonable attempt with AAdvantage Customer Service, did not get resolved to my satisfaction.

I believe the same type of "area" exists for Platinum but not sure.

[This message has been edited by DrHowser (edited 03-29-2002).]
Old Mar 29, 2002, 2:49 pm

35,770 to go......
Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:10 pm
W-N

Programs: AA PLT 3MM..... WN CP & A-List Preferred.... SPG Platinum
Congrats! I'm at 770k and climbing.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:13 pm

Congratulations from a 2-million mile EXP.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:
Nope. 1MM etc includes miles from all sources, not just flights.

Flip
</font>

Wow! I had no idea. This seriously gives me incentive to rack up miles by doing things other than flying. I am tad shy of 300,000 program to date. The *vast* majority is via flying AA (including bonus miles for flying, obviously) *Very* few (maybe a few hundred) come from car rentals and hotels stays.

Not into the credit card thing, as I like using the Corporate AMEX to pay for biz travel. Maybe grocery store points, although I don't buy to many groceries with all my travel.

AAdvantage Gold (at a minimum) for life would be sweet.

[This message has been edited by jsmeeker (edited 03-29-2002).]
Old Mar 31, 2002, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Dear JSMeeker,

As you live in Dallas, seriously consider doing the 'grocery store thing' at Tom Thumb. I recommend using an AA FF miles credit card unless the Delta Am Ex does the double miles thing again. The FF miles really add up for sure!

Also we have gotten tons of miles by eating Kellogg's cereals that have the AA airplanes on the front of the package. If you are fortunate enough to have the pink Komen AA FF certs, you can send 5 (500) miles worth with a $10 check to get 1,000 AA FF miles.

Of course, there is flying AA. I do a great deal of that. Often overseas on long, long flights, I am cheered by the miles I know I am getting!!

Unlike other airline programs that I participate in, AA's FF program gives us many opportunities to get more miles.

I am grinding and munching my way to my own one million miles with AA.

Thanks to all who have advised and helped!

Old Mar 31, 2002, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Hilton
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jsmeeker:
Newbie question..

</font>
As others have noted, miles come from many sources. This is one of the top draws for AAdvantage. I have not calculated the number, but actual miles flown, are probably not my primary source. Many miles have come from the PLT and EXP bonuses (100%). I have eaten lots of Kellogg's products. I put a lot of Mobil gasoline in my cars, when that promotion was on. I get a smidgeon of points from Hertz each month. A few from the credit card. Got some for buying cars. A few come from MCI.

The point to remember is that they all add up!

Oh, and always, ALWAYS, check aa.com before you travel. Make certain you have registered for all of the points. A lot of points go begging because folks failed to point and click.

Old Mar 31, 2002, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
FlyAAway,

Excellent suggestion about checking with aa.com prior to travel. Possible double bonuses, etc.

Do I go out of my way to fly AA?

Yes!

Isn't that the point of a FF program?

Do we go out of our way to shop at Tom Thumb and eat kellogg's products with the airplanes on the front of the boxes? Yes!

Maybe it's only a game, but it sure is fun!!!

I keep loosing weight on the 'Kellogg's diet'. Extra bonus.

Given 2 identical flight situations: AA and other, I choose AA.

I do make the 'error' of keeping a couple other programs going. Although I should keep all my eggs in one FF basket, I'm not perfect.

I want that Million Mile Gold status. I want it bad!!

I will !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.