Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

award travel booking, do you call back to get different flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2002, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I am booking some award travel and would like to improve my return flight. I have the tickets on hold so I can still make any changes. Can different agents find different flights? I basically said that I didn't care how many connections I have or what cities I connect through and can't get out of HNL in F. Has anyone had luck trying to call back and see if they can get a differnt agent to find other routings that may be open...? Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2002, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I don't think it has to do so much with calling back different agents as it does calling back at a future time to see if more inventory has opened up.

I did this for my upcoming CX trip next month and was finally able to get the departure date I wanted and a "better" return date, although I'm still calling a couple of times a week to toy with my return date/routing.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 4:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
there is so much chicken & egg in getting awards, particulary on across the water and on ow partners trying for business class.

the discussion goes like this : we want to go from a to b in x month about the 15th & return on xxx.

we have a to c to b available on the 14th. & you can come back on xyz date thru d & e.

you say fine, book em dano. ... then later, you get a call. a to c has been discontinued, but i can get you from a to c via m and then to b but in coach from m to c. etc etc etc.

i'm in the middle of this right now.

it is improving & moving in the right direction.

Old Mar 11, 2002, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Just keep calling. On a recent booking for my husband's ticket, I called every 6-8 hours for a couple of days. Then, finally, I got the flight he wanted. Then I cancelled the seat he was holding for the next day. So the next day's flight inventory just opened up by one seat. This happens all the time, people changing plans.
In fact, the AAgent told me to call back as often as I wished as it was no trouble for them to check flights. Persistence pays. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Nanook (edited 03-11-2002).]
Old Mar 11, 2002, 9:17 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Agents do all see the same inventory. The trick comes from finding an agent who's willing to trawl through the available inventories over several screens, and not just fob you off with "Sorry, it's sold out"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.