Wiki Posts
Search

Drunk Off Duty FA Rampages Through Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2002, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Drunk Off Duty FA Rampages Through Cabin

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click...20830&set_id=1

Quite incredible really. I'm surprised it took 30 minutes to subdue him.

The above link is good and is from Drudgereport.com. I think there's a lot of traffic going to the site which is why the link appears to be broken.

[This message has been edited by chet (edited 02-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by chet (edited 02-27-2002).]
Old Feb 27, 2002, 9:21 am

your topic title might be the best one i have ever seen on this board.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 9:24 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by homey:
your topic title might be the best one i have ever seen on this board. </font>
I aim to please.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Interesting article!

However, if you're reading this on the AA board, you should be aware that this incident didn't involve AA. It was a South African Airways FA on an SAA flight. That little "S" makes all the difference...
Old Feb 27, 2002, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Bizarre. Jobs in SA are not all that easy to come by. He could be unemployed for some time ... tls
Old Feb 27, 2002, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
Is this just typical South African grammar, or is it obvious the article was written by a woman:

"Five strapping men, including a policeman, the first officer and the pilot, were needed to restrain him."

(edited to delete a dumb question)

-Eli

------------------
Washington,DC/Miami
AAdvantage Platinum

[This message has been edited by Eli Gorin (edited 02-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Eli Gorin (edited 02-27-2002).]
Old Feb 27, 2002, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The "strapping" part is just a reflection of British influence on the English spoken in South Africa.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 3:38 pm

What's wrong with strapping? It's a bit old fashioned, but perfectly good english. To us (and presumably them) it means tall and sturdy and implies healthy looking. I like the change from the word strong which is implicit in the adjective that they used.

Typically in the parts of the world that long ago were part of the Empire, they use to this day vocabulary that has fallen a bit by the wayside in this country where speech uses more and more pedestrian and prosaic words.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 3:42 pm

Programs: VS Gold, EI Silver, BA Silver, FB Peasant, Marriott Platinum
Sounds like this chap is what we South Africans call a Bloody Moer....and no, I will not translate :-)

and as for the "strapping" comment....it is part of the Springbok vernacular
Old Mar 2, 2002, 2:43 am

Thank you for the article, fascinating!

"He has also contravened his own employment regulations, so he will face disciplinary action. He seemed to know where the liquor was because he was one of us," Mkhondo added"

That is too funny! He does all this and he has "contravened his employment". UGH!!!

You think maybe he should be fired!? Jailed !?, fined!?, and banned from flying!?

I was amazed to have read this, then to see the discipline. It is too freaking much sometimes. That may explain their crime in that beautiful country. Hmmmmmmm Time to start exacting punishment on those who misbehave.

A guy bites someone's hand on a plane, wants to open the door, and he may receive some discipline. hmmmmm

I am on Cathay to South Africa in May, thank goodness. This article, along with what Mr. Six said on his anti-SAA website would keep me off them for good.

Why on earth were they getting him 30 minutes later? Sorry, that was way too long.

One negative with SAA, among others , is that they do lights out after the meal and the crew literally dissapear, it is pathetic. Just trying to get some water, and this was First, is trying.

Maybe they need to do more like AA, curtains open, babysit the little schoolchildren.

Another reason why I am big on fewer seats, more legroom, more space. The people were boxed in during his rampage, and I am peeved(and that is an understatement!) that the crew took so long to get there. Then also at SAA's reaction. If I were a regular flyer on SAA, I would be freaking out.

If anyone hears about the eventual penalty/sentence, please post it on here. I have some SA papers bookmarked. Thank you for this! and long live Cathay .
Old Mar 2, 2002, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Please don't toss the baby out with the bath water. I enjoy flying SAA and have had nothing but wonderful, polite and professional service.

I will fly them again.

It is amazing that someone would be stupid enough to obviously lose a job in a country where jobs are so hard to come by.

As far as 'strapping' goes, well, sounds like a nice sort of guy to me!

Thanks to the miracle of the internet, I am in nearly daily contact with relatives and friends in South Africa. From the bottom of my heart I wish and pray for the best for that troubled country which is, in fact, our best hope for Africa.

My favorate toast used in South Africa, 'God save Africa!' May that be true!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.