Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Advice on remuneration request for lost luggage and 3 day hassle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

AA EXP flying OMA - ORD - MCO earlier this week.

Mechanical delay on OMA/ORD caused me to miss ORD/MCO. Flight from ORD to MCO was final flight of the day.

Rebooked ORD-DFW-MCO for same day, with ORD-DFW in coach.

Arrived on time into MCO, 1 of 2 checked bags made it to MCO. I was told by MCO baggage agent that my bag should arrive on the first flight the next morning and that they would bring it out to me.

Due to the late arrival at night (midnight), I had to go to the local Walmart for clothes for my meeting the following morning. I ended up getting to my hotel at 4a (Walmart at 2a is not a pretty place), as opposed to 8p had I been able to make the original connection in ORD (which actually left 5 minutes early and I was at the gate 2 minutes prior to scheduled departure after I ran thru ORD to get there).

The following day, no sign of my bag. I call baggage services and they can't find my bag. That evening at MIDNIGHT (while I'm asleep), I get a phone call from the automated system that states that I need to check with a baggage agent at the airport for my bag. Since I couldn't figure out what this meant and since I was so angry to receive a call at midnight, I called baggage services and they could not tell me where my bag was.

The NEXT day (day 3), I call baggage services on my way back to the airport. I am told by the rep that my bag had arrived into MCO the day before on the 11a flight. When I inquired further into why my bag hadn't been delivered to me, she put me on hold for 40 minutes. When she came back, she had no additional info for me....still no bag.

I flew home on day 3 and tried to find out from baggage service if they had an update that night, but they still could not locate my bag. I took the family out to dinner that night and at 9p CT, I received a phone call from a number in MCO. It was a random person calling me, TELLING ME THAT AA HAD DROPPED OFF MY BAG AT THEIR HOUSE. This kind person gave me her address and I told her I would contact AA to come get the bag that night.

I call baggage services, tell them what's going on (at first, they tried to tell me that the bag was on a flight from MCO to DFW, but I quickly cut into that one), and they connect me to MCO baggage services. MCO baggage services tells me that they will have a driver go pick it up the next day (wrong answer) --- I "calmly" inform the gentleman that he would be best served by having a driver go pick it up tonight and get it back in the possession of AA or their agent. He says that he will do so and will call me back once it's set up.

He calls me back 10 minutes later and says that the bag will be picked up that night and brought back to a safe place. However, the person who received the bag told me today that the bag was not picked up last night; it was picked up this morning after it sat outside all night. When AA baggage services called me with an update, the rep told me that my bag and this lady's lost bag looked alike and that it was a simple error on MCO baggage's fault....however, my grey rollaboard doesn't exactly resemble the black duffle bag that she had lost.

I've received two additional calls from AA today (automated calls) that each have said that my bag would be enroute, and then finally an actual human being called to give me an update on what flight my bag would be on, estimated arrival time, etc. It is supposed to arrive tonight.

Assuming all my stuff is still in my bag (which I HIGHLY doubt), what is an appropriate request to make of AA for compensating me for this terrible series of events? They have already allowed me to purchase some clothes and get reimbursed for them (which is really just a clothes rental because I don't wear WalMart's cheap line of crap, so the clothes I bought will be going to GoodWill anyway). As an EXP, would I be out of line asking them to give me some EQM's or segment credits toward tier status? I'm gonna come up about 10 segments and 15000 EQM's short of EXP this fall unless I do a run. If no EQM's or segment credits, what kind of flight credit should I ask for?

If stuff is missing, will they cut me a check for reasonable things or will they ask me to go get new ones and then submit receipts for them? I'm not gonna try the old "I had 4 iPads in there" trick, but I did have very nice toiletry items, top-of-the-line shoes and other nice things that are probably gone.

Thoughts??

Jay
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wave828
Thoughts??

Jay
Yup. Should probably have been posted in the consolidated thread on this topic

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Search term {"baggage"})

As an EXP, would I be out of line asking them to give me some EQM's or segment credits toward tier status? I'm gonna come up about 10 segments and 15000 EQM's short of EXP this fall unless I do a run. If no EQM's or segment credits, what kind of flight credit should I ask for?
They won't give you any of that. It will be miles (RDM) or vouchers. They don't give status credit.

Cheers.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
in the dark ages, when i was working, i always traveled in work clothes, at least w/i the us....
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If stuff is missing, will they cut me a check for reasonable things or will they ask me to go get new ones and then submit receipts for them? I'm not gonna try the old "I had 4 iPads in there" trick, but I did have very nice toiletry items, top-of-the-line shoes and other nice things that are probably gone.
As far as I know, they will reimburse you for the depreciated value of any lost items up to a $3400. If your stuff was worth more than that, you would take out and pay for excess valuation insurance.

Here's the link:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...imitations.jsp

When I fly to a business meeting, I make sure I have business clothes in my carry-on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.