Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using MEX as stopover on AA Award

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

So I am flying PIT-ORD-MEX on March 9th and then MEX-LIM-GYE-UIO on May 27/28th.

Should not this trip be priced as PIT to UIO with a stopover in MEX? I keep going through the AA agents, but they are pricing as North America to Mexico and Mexico to South America rather than North America to South America. So 17.5k and 10k miles (total 27.5k miles) rather than just 17.5k miles.

They agree that MEX is an North American gateway city and I even quoted this from their website:
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.

But they still say that it is not possible and try to send me to customer service on their website.

Should not MEX count as stopover?

Any tips/suggestions?

Could MPM be an issue?

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 2014 at 10:24 pm Reason: merging three posts made within 30 minutes
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As it's the weekend, you may have to wait a bit for an answer - but you may exceed the MPM for this trip by using LIM.

As this pertains to the pre-merger American Airlines, it is being moved to that forum.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: OW Emerald
you may exceed the MPM for this trip by using LIM.
MPM is 3,374 (before deductions) and this routing is 5,615.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Yes, MEX would count as a NA Stopover.
However, you can't just pick any airport along the way to your destination and expect it will be OK. There has to be a published fare for the routing on the carriers you are using.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
There has to be a published fare for the routing on the carriers you are using.

I am able to price the exact route on ITA. So is it valid then (besides being over MPM)?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by gadhawinner
I am able to price the exact route on ITA. So is it valid then (besides being over MPM)?
Being able to price the route on ITA is (almost) irrelevant. When you get to the "How to buy this ticket" page, look at the fare codes.

If they are different (e.g. one for PIT-MEX and something different for MEX-UIO) then your priced itinerary is a combination of those two tickets. To get a single Aadvantage award you would need a single fare from PIT-UIO, not a combination of two fares.

However, you can sometimes get a cheaper fare by combining two separate fares, so the fact that you get a combination of fares in ITA doesn't mean that a single fare doesn't exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.