Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50k miles planned - when to buy tickets to get elite status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

50k miles planned - when to buy tickets to get elite status

I have about 50k miles of travel I need to complete in the next 2 months or so. I haven't bought any tickets as I'm waiting for an elite status deal on AA. I'm currently Platinum, but will slip down to Gold without this travel. I'd like to bump up to Exec if I can (especially since others are buying the tickets!).

When do you think would be the latest time to wait? I have to take my first trip at the end of September.

Last edited by flyingdervish; Sep 7, 2013 at 5:54 pm
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
While it could happen, there is no way to predict. Given the way they've been handing out elite status to anyone with a pulse lately, and the minor fiasco that they created with the recent offer, I'd certainly not expect anything, and not very soon if something does happen. 50K gets Platinum. That's what I'd count on.

Are you expecting that folks here have some secret knowledge of something coming? If so, anyone with such knowledge would not disclose it here. So, there really are no solid answers to your question. Well, other than mine that says "not a chance in hell," but take that for what it's worth

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
You won't slip down to gold unless you are a million miler. AA announced they were discontinuing the 'soft landing' policy earlier this year.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
You won't slip down to gold unless you are a million miler. AA announced they were discontinuing the 'soft landing' policy earlier this year.
I understood the OP to mean that he/she is currently PLT and will have flown between 25K and 50K miles at the end of the year, not counting the 50K he/she has yet to fly.

My question is, where are you exactly between 25K and 50K? If closer to 50K, perhaps a mileage run may be in order.

The latest you should wait? Fly it before Dec. 31st. Or fly 50K miles all in 2014 before Feb. 28 to get status through 2/2016).

Just fly it when you need to. If you're asking when to book, I remember the last DEQM promo didn't require you to book after you register, only fly during the promo dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.