Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA expiring flight credit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

AA expiring flight credit?

I booked a non-refundable ticket last November which I subsequently had to cancel. AA gave me a $750 credit tagged to my account which expires November 24th.

In talking to AA, they are telling me I have to use the credit for a flight departing before November 24th....unfortunately, I'm not looking to go anywhere until next March.

Does anyone know of a way to extend the credit or am I SOL? I'd hate to do this, but could I use the credit towards a random flight prior to November and then cancel that and get a new credit (I'm assuming less another $150) with another year use it?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
correct. That's the loophole everyone plays
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
One thing you can do is buy a super cheap SFO-LAX flight for $54 after taxes. A sample date is 10/2/13.

After, AA will mail you a residual paper voucher of $750-$54=$696 that you have 1 year to use. Simply cancel the flight after. The great thing about this residual voucher is that it can be used on anyone.

_____

Another less reliable method is to book a refundable flight that is slightly above $750. Then after you book it, cancel it. And ask for it to be refunded in the form of a voucher.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

If I used the credit for a refundable ticket and I cancelled the refundable ticket, would they just give me the money back or just give me another credit?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nope. It carries the attributes of the most restrictive ticket making it up.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Nope. It carries the attributes of the most restrictive ticket making it up.
But not including the time limit from the initial credit? They bump that a year forward?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.