Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I don't think we have all the facts, yet. I would appreciate the OP offering some more details.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Whoa! Talk about attitude. Talk about the "new American"! Sounds a lot like the old one and then some!

Worldspan
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Have you tried to tweet them? Normally that is watched by an executive relations team that might provide more assistance, or a solution that benefits you based upon their mistake.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Some observations and then a suggestion for a solution:

1. OP made a claim for IDB and none is due - When you make a claim for IDB or other regulatory violation, the claim is forwarded to AA's regulatory team. They take this stuff seriously because the failure to report the IDB is a violation and the failure to pay the IDB claim would be a violation. As is self-evident, AA did an immediate and thorough investigation, found the error and acknowledged it. But, as this wasn't IDB, the claim was denied. IDB is binary. If it's due, it's due and the amounts are calculated by DOT Rule. AA can't just write back and say, "well it's kinda IDB so we'll kinda compensate you." A DOT complaint will do nothing because DOT will review OP's complaint to AA, AA's response and determine that: A) this was not IDB; and B) AA is not responsible for consequential damages, e.g., trip expenses.

2. A solution here would be a do-over. A short and sweet (and I mean sweet) note to AA, asking that AA as a customer service gesture, compensate you for your identifiable and documented losses (attach copies) may get a different and better reaction. Lose the legal jargon and demands and you will likely do a lot better. You should understand that you may be sunk by the prior IDB demand, but nothing is sure until you try.

While this is not OP's fault, there are some things which travelers ought to do, even though they shouldn't have to: 1) anytime the record is touched for any reason, go back in and confirm that nothing bad has changed (such as a cancellation). If there is a ticket re-issue, can you see it and do you have a current e-ticket receipt? 2) OLCI is valuable if for no other reason than it occurs early in the process. If you can't get things to work, there's a problem. 24 hours prior to departure, there's a lot more which can be done than at check-in. This is particularly true on busy travel days when the bottom-line problem is that there is no good fix (OP hasn't provided the origination/destination so it's unclear that there even were alternatives).
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you forwarded your concerns to the DOT?

They can interpret whether IDB is due or not; AA will have to respond to the DOT and you can be certain that they're not going to be sending them a form letter of denial, but a detailed and accurate representation of the facts. And pay up if you're due $$ under law/regulation.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htmLeve a message and discuss your case with an analyst. Be factual, and be prepared to have dates, ticket numbers etc.

The incident will also be logged and anonymously be part of the database used by DOT/Congress for future law/rulemaking and clarifications if needed, so by using the DOT you benefit all of the flying public.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:19 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Often1
as this wasn't IDB, the claim was denied.
How is it not IDB? AA's failure to issue ticket certainly was not voluntary on OP's part.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
How is it not IDB? AA's failure to issue ticket certainly was not voluntary on OP's part.
OP wasn't denied boarding.
He/She was denied ticketing.
I think OP deserves compensation, but not IDB compensation.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by kkjay77
OP wasn't denied boarding.
He/She was denied ticketing.
I think OP deserves compensation, but not IDB compensation.
Are you just referring to the name? Or do you think OP does not deserve as much compensation as if they had been denied "boarding"?

To me, it's dangerous to allow "oops, your ticket disappeared" to reduce the amount the passenger is owed; way too much room for abuse.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:54 pm

1. OP made a claim for IDB and none is due - When you make a claim for IDB or other regulatory violation, the claim is forwarded to AA's regulatory team. They take this stuff seriously because the failure to report the IDB is a violation and the failure to pay the IDB claim would be a violation. As is self-evident, AA did an immediate and thorough investigation, found the error and acknowledged it. But, as this wasn't IDB, the claim was denied. IDB is binary. If it's due, it's due and the amounts are calculated by DOT Rule. AA can't just write back and say, "well it's kinda IDB so we'll kinda compensate you." A DOT complaint will do nothing because DOT will review OP's complaint to AA, AA's response and determine that: A) this was not IDB;
By this logic, the DOT never disagrees with the airlines' own assessment of whether or not a particular situation is IDB. This is a silly supposition, and easily proven false with a simple Internet search.

Moreover, as others have pointed out, if AA were able to get out of IDB by just canceling people's reservations, they'd never have to pay IDB because they'd just cancel a bunch of reservations before boarding time. Now, in this situation it sounds like the cancellation was unintentional rather than an attempt to evade IDB, but unintentional overbooking (which is what this is in the end, if they've taken OPs money and just not bothered to reflect this in their system correctly) is overbooking nonetheless.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
By this logic, the DOT never disagrees with the airlines' own assessment of whether or not a particular situation is IDB. This is a silly supposition, and easily proven false with a simple Internet search.

Moreover, as others have pointed out, if AA were able to get out of IDB by just canceling people's reservations, they'd never have to pay IDB because they'd just cancel a bunch of reservations before boarding time. Now, in this situation it sounds like the cancellation was unintentional rather than an attempt to evade IDB, but unintentional overbooking (which is what this is in the end, if they've taken OPs money and just not bothered to reflect this in their system correctly) is overbooking nonetheless.
+1
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by jmastron
Are you just referring to the name? Or do you think OP does not deserve as much compensation as if they had been denied "boarding"?

To me, it's dangerous to allow "oops, your ticket disappeared" to reduce the amount the passenger is owed; way too much room for abuse.
IDB is specifically for pax who are booked on an overbooked flight then forced off.

Other incidents (such as this) are handled by the free market value of customer service (take that however you wish). That is why one would expect AA to pony up some compensation.

Could an airline "cheat" on IDBs and simply wipe tickets? Perhaps for some very small airline, but if a major did it they would quickly be exposed. Hundreds (or more) would know, and they could all go public.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Any post which contains the words, "to me it seems" is a post which means that the post's writer hasn't read the rule. DOT doesn't just get to determine what IDB is. If DOT wants to change the definition of IDB, it must propose a change, publish that, accept comments, consider those comments and then publish an amended rule with an effective date.

If you want the rule changed, go for it. But, that's not what OP's looking for. OP says that she is out $ and wants those $. As long as she tilts at windmills as some here suggest because "to me it seems" the less likely any form of compensation is.

OP has a path to potential victory here, but it ain't pressing a case for IDB.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:14 pm

Any post which contains the words, "to me it seems" is a post which means that the post's writer hasn't read the rule.
So rules are not open to interpretation?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
So rules are not open to interpretation?
Not unless you want to hire expensive lawyers and go before a Federal Administrative Law Judge to state your case.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Forget about IDB; it was a good thought and a creative interpretation of the regulation, but that specifically does not apply here for the reasons stated. However, that doesn't mean you don't have a claim for the sunk costs incurred as a result of AA's mistake (hotels, rental cars, tours, etc.) that you were unable to get refunded.

I would attempt to first reach out to customer relations one more time without using the term "IDB" and explain exactly what you are out (forget about the "vacation" aspect; go with hard dollar amounts) and that you expect to be made whole. Further explain that while you expect that amount to be paid in cash (per receipts you'll provide), it would be a nice gesture for AA to include a voucher for future travel as well, as it would convince you to give the airline another chance.

If that fails, then suggestions like elliott.org are great ones; there are experts out there who have made a name as intermediaries between pax and the airlines who (allegedly) wronged them.

Should that fail, then I would not hesitate to go to small claims court (or state court if this exceeds the value covered by small claims in your jurisdiction). You spent money out of pocket for a vacation, you were unable to take the vacation due to AA's mistake and only AA's mistake, and you expect them to make you whole (minus the vacation, of course). I'm sure they'll want to settle this rather than actually go to court on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.