Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
American have confirmed that there is no change to the fuel surcharges being levied on awards, as posted by AmericanAirlines in post #157:

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Last night, in a routine effort to better align American to industry standards with other global carriers, American began collecting carrier-imposed surcharges on tickets for travel on other carrier’s metal. This change was intended for revenue tickets only, but the surcharge was erroneously added to AAdvantage award redemptions on other airlines as well. Except in the cases of British Airways and Iberia (where American currently collects these surcharges), no carrier-imposed surcharges will be applied when redeeming AAdvantage miles for award travel on other carriers. Any customers who encountered this fee in error will be fully refunded.
Print Wikipost

AA adds fuel surcharges on some international awards? [NO]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
This pretty much means a devaluation for UA is coming.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Why is everyone having kittens about this?
AA says they'll charge YQ on those airlines that charge it. They weren't before, and I'm sure each individual airline was pissed about that. I highly doubt it is correct that AA will charge them on AA tickets, or AB or whatever else...AS, HA, etc., if they are not part of that airline's policies. As with BA they're now collecting something they should have been in the first place, consider ourselves lucky we got away with it for so long.

Now, if this includes a NEW policy of YQ on AA, have puppies; kittens are too small.

Frankly IMHO they should outlaw it period. A 'carrier imposed surcharge' is called a fare. Include it in the price. (And similarly, a 'free' ticket really should be free of all fares and fees that go directly to the airline itself.)
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
AA says they'll charge YQ on those airlines that charge it. They weren't before, and I'm sure each individual airline was pissed about that.
YQ is bagged by the ticketing carrier, it is not passed onto the operating carrier.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by DCtrAAveler
That's consistent with what's being tweeted by @AmericanAir - as reported over on MP. "We're collecting other carrier imposed charges effective today. Some carriers may have exemptions." No detail on those exemptions or which carriers may have them
So ALL of them decided to impose surcharges on the same day without notice? Laughable. Make no mistake that AA benefits from this.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
AA has been confirming this change via Twitter, however the specific details are still fuzzy.

As more details become available, a Wikipost might be added with important, relevant information.

/Moderator

Last edited by miamigrad; Aug 28, 2013 at 9:03 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by redwingsGAO
It appears to me that AA is trying in all possible ways to piss off its current elite members: First offering a "targeted" fast-track-to-elite offer to all non-elite members, excluding its current elites. Then introducing this ridiculous BA/QF like fuel surcharge to dilute the value of AAdvantage miles.
Don't forget dropping the "soft landing."

All this makes me regret going for EXP last year.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
I'm shocked. We're five pages into this thread already and nobody has mentioned the words 'class' and 'action' yet.
Well, since this action has actually taken place, it doesn't show a lot of class by AA.

Mike
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:33 am

This is obviously terrible news... but right now it looks like there are no extra charges on AA metal (yet) and at least one carrier that doesn't charge YQ doesn't have increased fees on awards (EY). Since I am most interested in EY, looks like I'm safe for now (until EY decides to start charging YQ).
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
YQ is bagged by the ticketing carrier, it is not passed onto the operating carrier.
o.O I didn't know that. Scamsters, all of 'em!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
As a BOS flyer, I'm already at a good will deficit. It seems like AA has stopped simply not caring about my business and is now starting to actively reject it.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:35 am

Just ticketed KUL-HKG-JFK all in J five minutes ago. If I put REP in with MH metal before the CX legs, $145USD YQ for one-way. No YR for CX yet.

In the present, I don't think there will be more award availability for anybody. It's going to be the same, as we have to burn the miles in some fashion. This is going to be a huge game changer for me who has to pick the flights if some charge and some don't. MH is definitely going to charge it.

UA is the last one. I sense something bad is going to happen for them as well.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
we have to burn the miles in some fashion.
I just redeemed an award flight, the first in a long time -- guess I'll continue redeeming miles for hotel rooms, which can offer excellent value.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
ughh...

I always had this feeling that sitting on a pile of miles was somewhat foolish. This confirms it.

Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Just ticketed KUL-HKG-JFK all in J five minutes ago. If I put REP in with MH metal before the CX legs, $145USD YQ for one-way. No YR for CX yet.

In the present, I don't think there will be more award availability for anybody. It's going to be the same, as we have to burn the miles in some fashion. This is going to be a huge game changer for me who has to pick the flights if some charge and some don't. MH is definitely going to charge it.

UA is the last one. I sense something bad is going to happen for them as well.
So sad, I can buy a MH ticket for that leg in biz for probably 300 usd. I hope some carriers will be exempted :-/
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
...we have to burn the miles in some fashion.
We burn them for hotel stays, and these have no added fees, unless the hotel has things like "resort fees" and these are passed along. These stays are a great use of miles.

We rarely redeem award flights as out flights are paid for status. As a result, this won't impact us much, if at all. Negative-direction changes are never a good thing. But, if a chance like this prevents others (well, I can hope ), then I'm going to be OK with it.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.