Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Award and Paid Ticketed - What Happened?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
AA Award and Paid Ticketed - What Happened?

Booked one ticket A-B-C as Business Saver where B-C is trans Atlantic. Correctly charged $5 and 50k miles. Only one Saver award (economy or business) was available A to B, so this reservation used that one.

Booked 2nd ticket B-C as Business Saver. Had AA reservations book paid economy A-B on this same record locator. Ticketed this one and was charged $5 and 50k miles. The entire record shows as ticketed. The A-B segment is in booking class G.

What happened here? Why wasn't A-B charged for the 2nd ticket? Am I best to just leave this alone? Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by World20
Booked one ticket A-B-C as Business Saver where B-C is trans Atlantic. Correctly charged $5 and 50k miles. Only one Saver award (economy or business) was available A to B, so this reservation used that one.

Booked 2nd ticket B-C as Business Saver. Had AA reservations book paid economy A-B on this same record locator. Ticketed this one and was charged $5 and 50k miles. The entire record shows as ticketed. The A-B segment is in booking class G.

What happened here? Why wasn't A-B charged for the 2nd ticket? Am I best to just leave this alone? Thanks.
Call and tell them it looks like they made an error
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The entire record shows as ticketed.
How do you know? If you're relying on what's on AA.com, well, it's buggy as heck.

A-B in "G" is highly suspicious and incorrect for an award.

To be 100% sure, look up your ticket number on www.refunds.aa.com (start the refund process, without completing it) and see what the ticket coupons say. There's a chance that the reticketing did not go through, and if so you're best off to have it fixed it now.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hillrider
A-B in "G" is highly suspicious and incorrect for an award.
Had AA reservations book paid economy A-B on this same record locator. Ticketed this one and was charged $5 and 50k miles. The entire record shows as ticketed. The A-B segment is in booking class G.
Thanks.
I'm thinking maybe the fare to be paid was never collected as this record locator had a revenue segment mixed with an award segment. I think you should call back to get it fix as to avoid problems when the trip begins.

My only question- since there was only one the TATL segment for the award, shouldn't it have been only $2.50 + 50k miles, and then the fare for A-B?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Is this an international award travel? Could it be that the A-B segment for the 2nd ticket was your added on leg to/from the US gateway? As if you actually booked A-B-C to begin with.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
How far away is your flight?

Personally, I'd take a shot at setting an ExpertFlyer alert for business saver inventory A-B, and if the inventory opens up, I would call in and explain that you want to be moved to biz now that award inventory is available. They will likely be so confused they will just re-issue everything as a biz saver.

If you have no room for risk / error, you should definitely call them and double-check that the ticket is set up correctly, otherwise I would just chill out and see how it unfolds.

Last edited by janetdoe; Aug 6, 2013 at 8:45 pm
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Do you have ticket numbers for both?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
Is this an international award travel? Could it be that the A-B segment for the 2nd ticket was your added on leg to/from the US gateway? As if you actually booked A-B-C to begin with.
OP stated A-B did not have award inventory.
Plus, if it was award travel, it would not be in G
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Each record has one ticket number, with coupon 1 and 2 for the two segments.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Poster

The booking history was one record for B-C for two passengers. AA reservations split this record. On the first record they added segment A-B in business/first as the last award segment available. This remained on hold, but I since purchased it and it shows ticked. One second record they added the A-B segment as purchased economy with a one day hold. Within the one day I also purchased and ticked this record. It shows ticketed. That's when I noticed that it was in G (I agree, this is wrong) and they charged only $5, not including the economy fare to A-B.

Travel dates are 11 months out. I just don't want an issue when I check in at the airport.

Thanks for all your comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.