Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Snack" Offerings in US Admirals Clubs (Jul 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
New "Snack" Offerings in US Admirals Clubs (Jul 2013)

Just got this e-mail from AA:

Enhanced Admirals Club Snacks Enhanced Admirals Club Snacks — We're adding new selections to the snack offerings. Oranges and yogurt covered pretzels are now available all day. A mini butter croissant and a variety of mini Danishes were added to the morning options. Plus, you should start seeing an upgraded Otis Spunkmeyer® chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookie, mixed Mediterranean olives, crudité, and assorted cheeses to pair with tomato basil crackers for an afternoon snack.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Great. Cheese is the only healthful item on the entire menu (well, maybe the celery in the crudité). Other than that, not much to be excited about.

This was probably in the email from the AC that I just received as well and summarily deleted without reading

Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by brp
Great. Cheese is the only healthful item on the entire menu (well, maybe the celery in the crudité). Other than that, not much to be excited about.

This was probably in the email from the AC that I just received as well and summarily deleted without reading

Cheers.
Or carrots or tomatoes in the crudites? And olives (in moderate quantities).
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
A mini butter croissant ...
For anyone imaging a nice, freshly baked, flaky pastry with a buttery taste here - dream on. I tried one at DFW last week and all I can say is that I'm surprised TSA allow then airside since you could probably take out the cockpit door with one of these.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm a big fan of the crudités dipped in ranch and glad to see this rolling out
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
For anyone imaging a nice, freshly baked, flaky pastry with a buttery taste here - dream on. I tried one at DFW last week and all I can say is that I'm surprised TSA allow then airside since you could probably take out the cockpit door with one of these.
LOL!!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
These have been out in some clubs for a week or so. The croissants are okay, definitely better than those mini-muffins. The pretzels are good, however I wouldn't want to eat more than a few of them, but again they are welcome as an alternative to the tower of sodium.

I did notice a downgrade though, at least at the ORD AC. The cups that are put out in the morning for orange juice and water have been downsized, to what appears to be four our five ounces. If it were fresh squeezed orange juice I would understand, but with this cheap stuff it is just disappointing.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I was excited to see the danishes at SFO on Saturday morning. I didn't partake, but it was nice to see an upgrade.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Are those mini muffins gone? The chocolate ones would make me sick in the stomach. I'm glad about leaving the oranges out all day, in addition to the apples. I just wish they would put out bananas as well. I've only seen those in the west coast clubs. And even then, there is no consistency. And I'm glad to see the "store brand" cookies disappearing. I just wish the busier clubs would put in a self-serve soda and iced tea machine. Sometimes you have to wait forever before a bar server can get to you.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Healthy or not, I happy to see the yogurt-covered pretzels.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by zpaul
Healthy or not, I happy to see the yogurt-covered pretzels.
Finally someone pointed out these guys. IMO they are actually pretty good. That and the snack mix make for a good meal
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Id like to see more healthy food options. The yogurt covered pretzels I can't resist. Really nothing exciting.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^ for more choices.

However, a warning about "yogurt" pretzels.

While yogurt itself is an extremely nutrient-dense, healthy snack, beware of yogurt covered raisins, pretzels, and nuts. The main ingredients in the “yogurt” coating are sugar and palm kernel oil, NOT yogurt. As a result, the calories, fat and saturated fat grams really add up AND you do not benefit from the calcium and potassium that you get from real yogurt. (Source: http://www.nutritionbite.com/2010/05/faux-health-foods)

While I know nothing about AA's supplier, I think the ingredients at http://www.niftynuthouse.com/product.php?productid=14 are quite representative:
  • Covering: sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, whey powder, nonfat milk powder, yogurt powder, titanium dioxide (an artificial color), lactic acid, lecithin (an emulsifier), & vanillin (an artificial flavor).
  • Pretzels: flour, vegetable shortening, salt, corn syrup, malt, yeast & baking soda

The result: 28 g (1 oz) of them has 6 g of fat, 105 calories (of which 50% are from fat), and 12 g of sugar. However, unlike regular pretzels, they have very little sodium.

Olives, however, are very welcomed. They may be fat, but are unprocessed and that type of fat does not seem to cause the damage of processed foods (Italians, Greeks, Spaniards, French etc. would all be dead otherwise). And compare them with the "yogurt" pretzel: 28 g of olives has 4.3 grams of fat, and of course almost no sugar (USDA database), far less than the processed pretzels!

Last edited by hillrider; Aug 5, 2013 at 4:22 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Otis Spunkmeyer cookies are amazing!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
I did notice a downgrade though, at least at the ORD AC. The cups that are put out in the morning for orange juice and water have been downsized, to what appears to be four our five ounces. If it were fresh squeezed orange juice I would understand, but with this cheap stuff it is just disappointing.
i noticed that too... I just grabbed an AA coffee cup to use to fill up on OJ and water.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.