Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Flight number change / changes - now in/out may be same # (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

● As of ~5 Aug 2013, AA has apparently renumbered many flights - presumably in expectation of extensive codesharing with US.

● In several instances, flight numbers are now the same for flights connecting city pairs in both directions.

● As well, a number of schedule changes were effectuated the weekend of 10-11 Aug.

● Same flight numbers on round trip flights earn miles flown (e.g. DFW-PSP and PSP-DFW have the same flight number, both would earn miles and segment credit)

● Same flight numbers on two or more segments one way (e.g. SLC-DFW-LHR with same flight number would earn as if flying SLC-LHR nonstop)

Print Wikipost

Flight number change / changes - now in/out may be same # (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
DL does it for turns. I've noticed that Eagle is now doing with turns, example LGA/ATL.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: QFF
I just got the same thing, my JFK-BOS-JFK (in Oct 16, out Oct 21) has been changed from AA1838/AA1899 to AA84 both ways (I wonder what the ORD-FRA is changing to).
DTW-ORD changed from AA3250 to AA3256.
3/4 AA flights on one ticket changed. Better check my other one

Other ticket;
SFO-ORD AA1772 > AA1282
ORD-MIA AA2074 > AA1044

Looks like my other flights are the same (for now).

Would these schedule changes allow a free reroute?

Last edited by Himeno; Aug 5, 2013 at 9:11 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Airlines have a very finite number of flight numbers
Very?
Are they restricted by the government to only four digits, and no alpha characters? I was not aware of that. It's a bit like saying they were limited to 2 digits years in the past.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Just had my 9/22 flight from DCA>DFW renumbered as AA 2498 (from AA 1347) with same times (but no e-mail from AA). I found out when I was making a second reservation for my wife to accompany me. At 8:00 AM, the flight number was still 1347 on my reservation, but aa.com gave me 2498 for hers. At 9:00 AM, my reservation was changed to 2498. I guess the booking engine works faster than the current reservations engine.

Also, four digits allows for 10,000 combinations - I don't think any airline has THAT many flights. Some might have to be moved around a little to prevent the same flight numbers for different airlines from the same departure airport and maybe some "bad numbers" like "666" eliminated, but surely 10,000 are enough. This assumes the "0" could be the first one, two, or three digits, so single digit numbers, dual digit numbers, and triple digit numbers would all be allowed.

Last edited by relangford; Aug 5, 2013 at 11:01 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are they restricted by the government to only four digits, and no alpha characters?
From an ATC perspective, they are not.

AAL123A, AAL456T are perfectly acceptable flight numbers as far as ATC systems are concerned. I'm not sure, though, if AAL3456A would work. I don't think I have ever seen a callsign with an alpha character after a four-digit flight number. We have a few ATCs on this forum, they could shed more light on acceptable formats for callsigns/data blocks.

All-alpha is certainly acceptable as ATC systems must be able to handle private flights from other countries that use no digits at all in their aircraft registrations:

XAABC, CFTIO, GBAKS (the dash after country prefix is omitted in ATC data blocks, I believe) are valid ATC "flight numbers"

Back to the airline world, CRS/GDS is an entirely different animal, however. I suspect legacy res systems can handle no more than four numeric digits after the two character IATA airline code.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by nrr
How is the FEBO rule now applied.
That was my first thought.

With the old numbering system, it was easy to remember that on domestic flights, the seats closest to Boston get first choice. Now, I suppose I'll start having to actually look at flight numbers.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by relangford
Just had my 9/22 flight from DCA>DFW renumbered as AA 2498 (from AA 1347) with same times (but no e-mail from AA). I found out when I was making a second reservation for my wife to accompany me. At 8:00 AM, the flight number was still 1347 on my reservation, but aa.com gave me 2498 for hers. At 9:00 AM, my reservation was changed to 2498. I guess the booking engine works faster than the current reservations engine.

Also, four digits allows for 10,000 combinations - I don't think any airline has THAT many flights. Some might have to be moved around a little to prevent the same flight numbers for different airlines from the same departure airport and maybe some "bad numbers" like "666" eliminated, but surely 10,000 are enough. This assumes the "0" could be the first one, two, or three digits, so single digit numbers, dual digit numbers, and triple digit numbers would all be allowed.
Actually, the 9000 series is virtually never used for scheduled service, as they are predominately charter, extra section, etc.

And keep in mind that for August 8, 2013, DL has scheduled 5,970 flights, AA has 3,761... AA does not have an issue today, but when you add in US's 3,309, there will be a serious issue with flight numbers, hence why they are changing. There are also issues with "like sounding" flight numbers that can not be used at the same time into/out of the same hub, and codeshare flights, blocked flight numbers, etc.

As for the alpha in the number, ATC has no issue, as the General Aviation system is based on tail numbers which all have alpha in them. The systems at airlines (Flight Tracking, Scheduling, etc) are all built with just numeric codes. Things including Revenue Accounting, Finance, Crew Planning, etc would all have to be changed. I remember one of my airlines saying that we had over 200 different programs that look at the flights in one way or another. Every single one would have to be updated and there is no chance that at least one of them doesnt crap out with the changes.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
While airlines do have plenty of flight numbers for their own metal, when you factor in codeshares flown by partners, 10,000 is simply not enough. Just look at how many LH codeshares UA has - about a 1,000. Same thing with AA - they have a JV with BA and JL, so the amount of codeshares can be huge. So, yes, airlines can assign a different flight number for every segment they operate (as I think they should) but it's the codeshares that make everything so complicated and necessitate the "smart" use of flight numbers.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:15 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
This explains why 1306 - LAX-BNA and turns in Nashville to 1307 BNA-LAX turns into 1307 roundtrip.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Same for my flights DFW-DEN/DEN-DFW in October, which are both flight 1239. Bye bye FEBO. Although with the option to reserve one's meals in advance, FEBO is not really needed.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Very?
Are they restricted by the government to only four digits, and no alpha characters? I was not aware of that. It's a bit like saying they were limited to 2 digits years in the past.
They are, by IATA standardization rules.

If AA leaves IATA, then they can explore other ways of calling their flights, but will probably encounter all sort of problems with common use airport systems, like the displays at DFW and most non-US airports and most of the systems airport use in the back-office. And, of course, they would not be able to sell a single interline ticket, nor use (most) existing ticketing platforms--they would have to build their own or have one customized just for them.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Same for my flights DFW-DEN/DEN-DFW in October, which are both flight 1239. Bye bye FEBO. Although with the option to reserve one's meals in advance, FEBO is not really needed.
Why bye bye FEBO? Isn't FEBO still applicable, just with both "E" or both "O" in the two directions?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same flight number both ways?

Has anyone ever had this happen on an itinerary?

Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Has anyone ever had this happen on an itinerary?
Once, between DFW and MIA about 4 years ago.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 12, 2013 at 9:41 am Reason: corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If memory serves me correctly, a few years ago, ORD-DUB-ORD was all the same flight number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.