Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combine award and non-aware/revenue seats on same PNR?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FXEpilot77
It is indeed possible but it can be difficult to find agent willing to do it.
This has been claimed in the past but I don't recall that it's ever been verified by a credible source. What is your source? (Sorry to question your credibility, but I'm not familiar with your posting history.)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Why does it matter? In what way is it better to have these flights together on a single PNR? What is the benefit of booking part of the journey with miles and the rest with cash in a single transaction?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:03 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why does it matter? In what way is it better to have these flights together on a single PNR? What is the benefit of booking part of the journey with miles and the rest with cash in a single transaction?
I'd say the main benefit is, in the event of a misconnection, you would presumably be accommodated on a later flight. My understanding is that in the case of a misconnect involving two separate PNR's, the carriers have no obligation to book you on a later flight.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by RJ1
I'd say the main benefit is, in the event of a misconnection, you would presumably be accommodated on a later flight. My understanding is that in the case of a misconnect involving two separate PNR's, the carriers have no obligation to book you on a later flight.
Would you be checking in luggage? Another benefit would be the bags would be tagged to the final destination.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by RJ1
Originally Posted by Sant
Would you be checking in luggage? Another benefit would be the bags would be tagged to the final destination.
Wrong on both counts. As long as both flights are on OneWorld carriers, AA will protect you in the case of a misconnect, as this policy makes clear.

And having flights on different PNRs does not prevent checking luggage all the way through to the final destination.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you could do this, it might be possible to create a reservation with one leg of a roundtrip as an award and the other leg as revenue. For markets in which one-way fares are a lot higher than round-trips, this could result in a substantial cost savings versus having to buy a one-way revenue ticket alongside a one-way award.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:42 pm

The claim that it can be done is listed in post #33 on Cruise Critic. Some others question her about it in the posts just after hers.

Apparently, the link can't be posted here, but it is posted on Cruise Critic.
It is under the Holland America section in a topic about purchasing tickets from Canada to Europe in Business class.

The poster gets mad at anyone who disagrees with her about anything, so I am not sure if it is the truth or not. I have never seen it done myself.

soccer
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:17 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by Blumie
Wrong on both counts. As long as both flights are on OneWorld carriers, AA will protect you in the case of a misconnect, as this policy makes clear.

And having flights on different PNRs does not prevent checking luggage all the way through to the final destination.
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if that same policy exists for UA and Star Alliance or not, but good to know it's there for AA.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by Blumie
This has been claimed in the past but I don't recall that it's ever been verified by a credible source. What is your source? (Sorry to question your credibility, but I'm not familiar with your posting history.)
It's possible because sabre can accept multiple tickets in a PNR. I did it once, although I should qualify it that the paid segments I added were non AA. I booked a r/t on AA flights online, ticketed that, and then had an AA agent sell the interline space to form my connection in same PNR and issue the 2nd ticket. I did do this in person though, perhaps qik/AAcorn won't allow it, but its doable in native sabre.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by FXEpilot77
It's possible because sabre can accept multiple tickets in a PNR. I did it once, although I should qualify it that the paid segments I added were non AA. I booked a r/t on AA flights online, ticketed that, and then had an AA agent sell the interline space to form my connection in same PNR and issue the 2nd ticket. I did do this in person though, perhaps qik/AAcorn won't allow it, but its doable in native sabre.
This, of course, can be done (in other reservation systems as well). What can't be done is issuing a single ticket for mixed itineraries. Having multiple tickets in the same PNR does not make it a single contract of carriage.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by Andriyko
This, of course, can be done (in other reservation systems as well). What can't be done is issuing a single ticket for mixed itineraries. Having multiple tickets in the same PNR does not make it a single contract of carriage.
Valid point of course, but there are still advantages to having it all one record.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by jordyn
If you could do this, it might be possible to create a reservation with one leg of a roundtrip as an award and the other leg as revenue. For markets in which one-way fares are a lot higher than round-trips, this could result in a substantial cost savings versus having to buy a one-way revenue ticket alongside a one-way award.
And one case where that could be useful is for a trip spanning New Year where you already have enough EQM/EQP for the year so would like the outbound to be an award ticket but the return to be paid so you can start earning for the next year.

I tried doing just that once a few years ago and was told that it was absolutely not possible. I could of course book the outbound award no problem, but the return would have been a one way fare at much more than the round trip was. I would be suspicious of anyone who claims otherwise.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:03 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged a few threads that discuss the ability to combine both award and revenue itineraries on the same PNR. Thanks. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.