Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American and TWA to Stop Serving Meals in the Main Cabin...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:12 pm

ummm, there are still *plenty* of differences between southwest and aa

pre-assigned seats
no cattle call boarding nonsense
elites board first
elites can get exit rows in advance
elite program that even exists at all
better route network
hawaii
international
first class

all of the above is more important to me than the food, which i haven't eaten in several years

make yourself a sandwich and bring it along. support your local airport vendor.
whatever. this is just good business sense.

i think they *should* charge for soft drinks - why should those be free too?

i do agree with the point about the increased mess - might it take longer to clean the planes?

also, i do worry about the fa's being cut back

i wonder - how much money does this save them?

and how much more or less would be saved if they asked the pilots to take a 25% pay cut (down from an average in, what, the 100k range?) to say the 80k range?

Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">This includes flights to Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean, as well as two-class services to Central and South America.</font>
American Airlines 73, the nonstop flight from Chicago to Honolulu, has a scheduled time of 8 hours and 58 minutes.

I hope everyone gets the "no meals in coach" message, or there will be some mighty hungry passengers in coach.
Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
Secret to More Room Throughout Coach for More Coach Passengers?

Skinnier travlers.

[This message has been edited by LewDog (edited 09-20-2001).]
Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LewDog:
You think air rage is bad now? Wait until someone's been traveling all day, been delayed six times, had their unmentionables inspected by security, told there is only Diet Coke left (no sugar) and then told that only those "holding a first class ticket" get to eat??

Look out...
</font>

I couldn't have said it better myself (and didn;t...lol)!
Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ElmhurstNick:
More snack mix for everybody!! </font>
Please not the nasty greasy snack mix. Take some of the $$ saved and at least upgrade that crap.

Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:34 pm

If you are going to pull a qoute, pull the whole sentence so that others down the thread can get a sense of what you are replying to...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You think air rage is bad now? Wait until someone's been traveling all day, been delayed six times, had their unmentionables inspected by security, told there is only Diet Coke left (no sugar) and then told that only those "holding a first class ticket" get to eat??

Look out...</font>
As any experienced flyer (or soldier) knows - you eat and sleep when you can -- 'cos you never know when the next opportunity will arise. If you have been delayed 'six times' common sense dictates that you would have taken advantage of some of those times to eat (or would you have been too busy complaining to anyone who would listen?).

As yet the FAA has not banned candy bars or other wrapped high energy food, or bottled water (something that you would find in the majority of 'experienced' flyers roll-ons).

Just because you buy a ticket to rent a seat for the duration does not mean that the airline has a responsibility to molly-coddle you - they contract to get you from A to B (via C, D, & E if you so wish).

The sooner we all start taking responsibility for our own actions the better it will be for everyone.

------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:39 pm

This is very short-sighted of AA. If they are going to get the business travelers, then they need to feed us. Otherwise, yes, I'll flip to SW, ATA or United. And I'm Exec Plat. There has to be some differentiation to have AA compete against the low-cost carriers.

And for the idiot who used the analogy of Avis not giving food. Maybe that person should think of it this way. I leave the office at 4pm to catch a 7pm flight, it lands at 9pm and then i cab to the hotel, arriving at 10 - way to late to eat. IF the flight is over a breakfast, lunch or dinner time, they should do meals.

The other option would be for the Admirals clubs to have food. NWA has food (frozen yogurt, liquor, soup, etc.)...

Or let the Exec Plat people use the Flagship lounges.
Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
Sure, the airlines had an income loss with last weeks events, but it appears the Feds will provide some $ to offset that. Flights seem to be filling up, based on my attempts to book for Oct. Routes have been cut, jobs cut...and still not enough money that the "meals" have to be cut? Is this to justify cutting FAs on flights since less work will be involved? Seems like a cheap move, especially for AA. If I wanted to fly Southwest style, why should I pay the higher AA prices?
Old Sep 20, 2001, 4:59 pm

wavebender:

Thanks for the 'idiot' comment - I'm sure that you are an intellectual giant and I cringe before your presence.

What do you do between checkin and boarding - if you leave at 16:00 and depart at 19:00 is there not time to grab a bite to eat??

I am also EXP - and I have found that it is far more beneficial to me to look after myself when possible than to rely on others to do it for me. Granted it does not give me the same scope for whining, or begging for compensation for every little thing - but I usually get to my destination a far happier camper.

Try it, you may like it.

------------------
Old Sep 20, 2001, 5:00 pm

I think that YYZ-DEN is off-base on this topic - and I hope others agree.

One of the key reasons I fly AA is because of the food/wine they serve (in 1st). Even there it's going to be crappy.

The *fun* is going to be totally gone from travel - and I for one, and I assume many others, will just not fly nearly as often. In fact, I'm just at 100K for this year, and I doubt if I'll do more than 4 or 5K for the remainder of this calendar year. That's a big drop. And I'm even more inclined to fly even less - particularly if I don't get upgraded, since I hate being treated as a 2nd class citizen, when I'm paying full coach fares.

And AA is going to get bailed out with virtually free money from the government.. what about all the other businesses,, etc. Should we be bailing out the hotel chains, restaurants, etc.

And supporting the airport concessions!!!! You've got to be kidding, they screw you anyway with the quality of food, the high prices. I'd love nothing more than to see a lot of those vendors go in the tank
Old Sep 20, 2001, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, WOH, Bonvoy
what do they really save per coach pax? 2 dollars?

IMHO, there's a security issue here as several food service workers have been implicated in the recent events.

Otherwise, just more Americans to be laid off as a result of all this.
Old Sep 20, 2001, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Well, after I get to the airport two hours early, and clear security in two minutes instead of one, now I guess I have something to do with the 88 minutes till boarding.

Seriously, isn't it likely that all the other majors will follow AA's lead?
Old Sep 20, 2001, 5:23 pm

wavebender:

Given the many and varied comments about airline food in this forum - if indeed you fly AA because of the food/wine (especially in 1st, as you so conspicuously point out) your standards must be very low.

I fly AA because they can get me from A to B safely, not because they give me questionable food.

------------------

[This message has been edited by yyz-den (edited 09-20-2001).]
Old Sep 20, 2001, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EP
So when they say flights under two hours, do they mean flying time or scheduled gate to gate time???

Old Sep 20, 2001, 6:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
In light of what has occurred in the last 9 days in this country, is this REALLY a priority or worthy or such discussion?

Don't you all have food in your homes or the ability to go to the grocery before or after your flight? So what if it's becoming bare bones? Are you really saying you fly a particular airplane because of the FOOD?! Yes, it's an inconvenience, but IMHO it's really quite a small price to pay based upon what others are going through right now, don't you think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.