Wiki Posts
Search

Deals on SW BUt not AA ** WAKE UP AA***

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2001, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP
Deals on SW BUt not AA ** WAKE UP AA***

This just in from SW --- I am am sure AA will have to match in markets they compete. But come on AA...by the time they offer deals, those that are willilng to fly will hve gone else where. And they we will have to listen to chapter 2 of the "it's about our company's survival" from Carty.

Sept 25th 9:45PM

Southwest Urges Customers to Fly With Low Three-Day Advance Purchase Fares
DALLAS (AP) -- Southwest Airlines is leading a campaign to bring fearful travelers back to the airways.

The Dallas-based carrier is offering sale fares as low as $34 as an incentive to customers until Oct. 11. Customers can use the low fares on three-day advance purchase roundtrip fares for travel any day of the week.

``We are determined to get back to business,'' said Joyce Rogge, Southwest's senior vice president of marketing. ``The 32,000 Employees of Southwest Airlines together salute the American spirit, and we stand with our fellow airlines in the mission to get America flying again.''

The low fares are contingent upon a roundtrip ticket purchase and an overnight stay.

Southwest and Delta Airlines are the only major carrier that have not announced job cuts after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

United Airlines, which last week announced layoffs of 20,000 employees, had made no such announcement about reduced fares, said Susana Leyva, a spokeswoman for United. Leyva would not comment on the airlines' future plans.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It would be far too crass for either AA or UA to have led off with a high profile public announcement of such fares under the circumstances of each of those carriers losing two aircraft and many staff. Wise up, eh. Also both carriers are finalizing their new route structures and staff levels. There are many things to do before letting their marketing departments loose.

Quite frankly, I find it abhorent for SouthWest to launch its sale by wrapping itself in the flag and using "the American spirit" as a marketing ploy. Have they no shame?
Old Sep 25, 2001, 9:59 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:

Quite frankly, I find it abhorent for SouthWest to launch its sale by wrapping itself in the flag and using "the American spirit" as a marketing ploy. Have they no shame?
</font>
Funny, tonight for work I had to sit through a partially mind-numbing, thoroughly flag-waving "Tribute to America" that the PGA staged in San Antonio before this week's golf tournament. Included in the presentation was a videotaped message from Dubya urging citizens to restore the American spirit--included specifically in his suggestions for how to do this was to "get back on airplanes."

Guess he has no shame, either...

Was WN's press release a bit jingoistic? Sure. I don't begrudge Herb & Co. that--as of now, they appear to be the only airline actively trying to stem the panic, rather than feeding it. We've spent the better part of two weeks decrying the behavior of airlines using the events of 9/11 to slash services, and now we want to do the same to an airline that's actually trying to put fannies in its seats? I don't get it.

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 09-25-2001).]
Old Sep 25, 2001, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
What do you mean American is not competitive I just got quoted $1,303 for a phx-ord-roc flight for the second week in October. I think this is a great price considering there making this flight with only ~20 people on the plane.

I am boycotting American Airlines until they start trying to win my business. No food on phx-ord (1440 miles) and no Admirals club at phx.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 10:12 pm

I noticed that AA has a fare of about $200 from ORD to HRL with a 3-day advance purchase.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 10:16 pm

If you fall off a horse, the sooner you get back on it the better off you are.

Old Sep 25, 2001, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Unless, of course, your leg is broken. In which case getting on the horse is not nearly as good an idea as getting a splint on it, and getting yourself to a hospital.
Old Sep 26, 2001, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Everybody is wrapping themselves in the flag these days. It's almost necessary to use American spirit in any ad or press release these days. So what?

What I found more interesting is that SW has had no job cuts. Now that's the American Spirit.

[This message has been edited by Nanook (edited 09-26-2001).]
Old Sep 26, 2001, 9:13 am

DFW STLOUIS $1339 go through OKC same ticket thanks to Swest presence is $350. I guess they can make more money off the federal bailout then lowering the ticket prices.
Old Sep 26, 2001, 9:31 am

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
SAN-ISP depart 10/26 return 10/30 priced last night at $201 r/t. That's cheap enough to get my butt back in a seat. (Which is where it will be this Sat. anyway, a trip I booked in July).

------------------
-Bob Mc
Old Sep 26, 2001, 9:52 am

AA matched WN late last evening. These are the cheapest fares I have seen in a long time...I hope it gets people back on the flights and stimulates the economy.

Personally, I am upset they had to close the CLE AC but I will live with it. This is a time when we have to live with a few inconveniences. Along with the victims of the WTC, The Pentagon and the crash in PA, my heart certainly goes out to the other victims...the people who are losing their jobs (including AA personnel) over this attack. I can live with bringing my food on a plane, sitting a few extra minutes in a boarding lounge instead of the CLE AC and going through the heightened security...I will do it with my red, white and blue ribbon on and be absolutely proud of it!

With everything that my fellow Americans are experiencing, I might have the right as an American to whine but I prefer to stand beside my neighbors and fight...there are far too many of my friends out there who have it worse than I do after September 11th for me to be concerned about a closed AC or a sandwich and a bag of chips that I could have brought on board a few hour flight.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 9:36 am
SK

Cutting fares not "the critical issue", says Don Carty:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/010927/busin...lout_dc_1.html

Old Sep 27, 2001, 9:50 am

Okay, how do we get the message to the top brass?
I send an email via AA.com and doubt I will hear back from them. I sent two in case they missed the first one.

I have some basic ideas that will help. I know there are several threads here with other ideas as well.

How do we get that to the people that matter?
Frank

------------------
TANSTASFL - but if you work it right, FF miles comes pretty close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.