Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Over-eager cancellations July 10, 2013?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rknicker
UA started cancelling east coast flights for this afternoon at 11pm last night. Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.
I don't disagree with you there. I've certainly see UA fall apart on ORD-LGA when AA holds it together. But on average, I think there is a bit of a consensus that AA jumps the gun with scraping flights more often than the competition. And yesterday seemed to be an extreme example of that.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by austin_modern
I'd doubt there is just some monkey banging away at a keyboard arbitrarily canceling flights, as some might think.
I like you confidence. Unfortunately, AA's flight cancellation pattern yesterday convinced me that it would probably be better if there was just a monkey banging away arbitrarily cancelling flights.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by bts09
I like you confidence. Unfortunately, AA's flight cancellation pattern yesterday convinced me that it would probably be better if there was just a monkey banging away arbitrarily cancelling flights.
these companies pay millions of dollars a year in computer hardware, software, computer scientists, weather-folk, etc to make changes to their flight patterns. These are multi-billion dollar business who do "track these kinda things" to increase their profits. (or in the case of airlines, limit the amount they lose a year).
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
My flight to New York (JFK, though) suffered rolling delays and after arrival, JFK AA, BA, and AB was a nightmare of delays. One story we heard from flight crew was weather, another was NY Air Traffic Controllers on a 'go slow'. Judging by the incredibly strange taxiing/runway patterns, I was wondering if the controllers were the real reason for all the headache in NY but couldn't find a news story to back it up. Did anyone else get mixed stories?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
I don 't like the notion that airlines should be competing on weather models. As far as I am concerned, if an airline has any doubt an aircraft operate safely, I'd prefer they cancel flight (even if other carriers disagree)...while an overabundance of caution can be frustrating, I'd rather have that approach than ending up in some small out of the way airport for hours on end because of a diversion...(and with my luck I'd be on the one flight that diverted...lol)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.