Search

AA to / from MEX and Popocatepetl Volcano - options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
AA to / from MEX and Popocatepetl Volcano - options

Hi All,

First time flying on AA this upcoming Tuesday IAD - DFW - MEX (1243/833) on Q fares with wife and 2 young kids.

If the volcano south of MEX heats up again and affects our flight into MEX, any recommendations / suggestions / tips / hints do you have for how to talk / deal with AA? Most recent posts I found on this was from 2012.

- We are flexible and will not want refund - we going to visit family;
- strongly prefer IAD, but DCA is fine - BWI last resort;
- prefer to fly into TLC as it much closer to our actual destination (those tics were much more expensive when purchasing).
- Layover in DFW is 2.5 hours.
- tics purchased from AA.com

I have read the Rule 240/80 page but there is a lot to wade through; what is "protected" and do I need to ask for that?

Thanks much!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Section 107
I have read the Rule 240/80 page but there is a lot to wade through; what is "protected" and do I need to ask for that?
Rule 240 doesn't apply in this case. The volcano is not the airline's fault (like a mechanical delay) but rather falls under the "act of God" exception.

- prefer to fly into TLC as it much closer to our actual destination (those tics were much more expensive when purchasing).
These are the points that will get you the most out of a discussion. I would first ask for different routing on the same dates if that allows you to fly. If not, I'd simply ask for any of the above routings on a date that works for the family. Don't get greedy and try to get the absolute best ticket that you couldn't purchase before. Just try to salvage the trip in a way that minimizes inconvenience.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Hi All,

First time flying on AA this upcoming Tuesday IAD - DFW - MEX (1243/833) on Q fares with wife and 2 young kids.

If the volcano south of MEX heats up again and affects our flight into MEX, any recommendations / suggestions / tips / hints do you have for how to talk / deal with AA? Most recent posts I found on this was from 2012.

- Layover in DFW is 2.5 hours.
- tics purchased from AA.com

Thanks much!
Depending on the time of day the drive from Toluca can be long-it took me 2.5 hours to Polanco with a professional driver a couple years ago. Although as you said, it is closer to your destination so it may not be a bad alternative. As for wanting AA to rebook you on Interjet, Spirit, or Volaris to TLC under Rule 240 doubt that will be a possibility. Rule 240 comes into play for circumstances within the airlines control like mechanical, schedule changes, etc not weather or natural disasters.

IIRC UA ended TLC-IAH last year, I doubt AA has agreements with Interjet, Volaris, or Spirit.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please follow discussion here in the Mexico Forum for more about Popocatepetl and it's disruption potential (as well as other Mexico travel warnings).

Meantime, those scheduled on American Airlines should be aware AA, AS, DL, UA and US did cancel flights into MX for one day recently (4 Jul 2013?) due to potential ash-related issues (shades of Eyjafjallajökull); many other airlines did not do so;

Popocatepetl has been producing smoke, ash, lava and steam since May; Mexico City (as well as Puebla and some other nearby areas) is under the highest stage of alert short of evacuation;

Popcatepetl (easier to say than Eyjafjallajökull ) is ~40 mi / 64 km s.e. of MEX; Toluca (TLC) is to the s.w. of Mexico City and the prevailing winds mean it is much less likely to be affected (I've long suggested TLC as a bailout alternative if they need to evacuate Mexico City, particularly as they live on the west and s.w. sides). TLC is connected by shuttles and first class bus service to Mexico City.

I am not sure AA has agreements with Interjet, Volaris or Spirit, but Aeroméxico also flys to / from TLC.

Aeroméxico / AM (SkyTeam member) has service between TLC and ACA, CUN, GDL, HMO, MTY and PVR (in terms of possible easier connections).

Volaris / Y4 LCC can be easily connected with in CUN and GDL (from GDL they fly to LAX, LAS, Chicago MDW, SJC, SJD and TIJ, Mexico.

Interjet / 4O LCC offers flights between TLC and LAS and SAT in the US, as well as ACA, CUN, MZT, PVR, SJC, SJD and ZIH. Interjet offers more room throughout coach - my family uses them often.

Siprit / NK LCC flies between :gasp: DFW and MEX!

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 7, 2013 at 9:44 am Reason: update as necessary
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by JDiver
Please follow discussion here in the Mexico Forum for more about Popocatepetl and it's disruption potential (as well as other Mexico travel warnings).

Meantime, those scheduled on American Airlines should be aware AA, AS, DL, UA and US did cancel flights into MX for one day recently (4 Jul 2013?) due to potential ash-related issues (shades of Eyjafjallajökull); many other airlines did not do so;

Popocatepetl has been producing smoke, ash, lava and steam since May; Mexico City (as well as Puebla and some other nearby areas) is under the highest stage of alert short of evacuation;

Popcatepetl (easier to say than Eyjafjallajökull ) is ~40 mi / 64 km s.e. of MEX; Toluca (TLC) is to the s.w. of Mexico City and the prevailing winds mean it is much less likely to be affected (I've long suggested TLC as a bailout alternative if they need to evacuate Mexico City, particularly as they live on the west and s.w. sides). TLC is connected by shuttles and first class bus service to Mexico City.

I am not sure AA has agreements with Interjet, Volaris or Spirit, but Aeroméxico also flys to / from TLC.

Aeroméxico / AM (SkyTeam member) has service between TLC and ACA, CUN, GDL, HMO, MTY and PVR (in terms of possible easier connections).

Volaris / Y4 LCC can be easily connected with in CUN and GDL (from GDL they fly to LAX, LAS, Chicago MDW, SJC, SJD and TIJ, Mexico.

Interjet / 4O LCC offers flights between TLC and LAS and SAT in the US, as well as ACA, CUN, MZT, PVR, SJC, SJD and ZIH. Interjet offers more room throughout coach - my family uses them often.

Siprit / NK LCC flies between :gasp: DFW and MEX!
Congratulations on your spelling sir. One wonders why volcano are given these unpronounceable names. hahah

To the OP: best thing would be to call AA and see if they would offer accommodation (even on another airline ). AA are usually very lenient in regards to invols to other airlines, even in the case of weather.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:34 pm

ˇGracias! (When I was younger, every day when I woke up and went outside and it wasn't obstructed by clouds, I had magnificent views of Popocatepetl...)

Popo then

Popo recently (BBC)

To remind folks what we are talking about and why AA might suspend operations to MEX suddenly.

Originally Posted by BA0197
Congratulations on your spelling sir. One wonders why volcano are given these unpronounceable names. hahah

To the OP: best thing would be to call AA and see if they would offer accommodation (even on another airline ). AA are usually very lenient in regards to invols to other airlines, even in the case of weather.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by JDiver
ˇGracias! (When I was younger, every day when I woke up and went outside and it wasn't obstructed by clouds, I had magnificent views of Popocatepetl...)

Popo then
Wow. When was this? That's a strange view, was that from the Puebla side? Since we can't see the Iztaccihuatl at all, this looks like a southern shot (from Puebla or Hidalgo) and reversed 180 degrees, because the mountains on the "right" look like Tepoztlan.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:18 pm

"Ixta" would be to the left across the saddle; Tepotzlán does indeed seem to be in the foreground. Probably shot from near and above "el anfiteatro" dead crater with a firing range in it, Jan 19 2010. Youtube video, and another from closer Cuautla.

Popocatepetl = 5,465 m / 17,930 ft; Iztaccíhuatl 5,230 m / 17,159 ft (on left of Popo); Mt. St. Helens 8,365 ft (2,550 m)

Originally Posted by Pickles
Wow. When was this? That's a strange view, was that from the Puebla side? Since we can't see the Iztaccihuatl at all, this looks like a southern shot (from Puebla or Hidalgo) and reversed 180 degrees, because the mountains on the "right" look like Tepoztlan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.