Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dining Rip Off at MAI KAI in Ft Lauderdale!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2001, 10:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
AAdvantage Dining Rip Off at MAI KAI in Ft Lauderdale!

I would like to know if anybody else has run into this or even knows that this can happen. Recently, myself and three others had dinner at Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale. This is a very expensive Polynesian style restaurant. We went there before 6pm to take advantage of their early bird special which includes appetizer, entree and desert. In addition we spent almost $50 on FOUR exotic drinks. The total bill came to just under $150.00. I was looking forward to all the miles plus adding one more 20/20 partner to my list.

Well, after waiting quite long and not seeing the miles post to my account, I called AA Dining CS. I was told that according to Mai Kai, we received our appetizers and deserts for FREE! Due to this "discount" I get ZERO miles!! I asked about the $50.00 we spent on drinks and was told it didn't matter.

Here is what concerns me; anytime you order a complete dinner in ANY restaurant, it most always comes out cheaper than ordering every item separately. But does that mean you received a discount or got part of the meal for free??? Where do they draw the line?

Incidentally, I talked to three AA Dining CSRs and most recently a supervisor. She said all of their franchises are allowed to decide for themselves just what does or does not qualify as a discount. Comments Please.
Old Aug 8, 2001, 10:52 pm

Sounds like there's a need for an AAdvantage Dining deadbeat list.

You may want to get in touch with www.idine.com. They're the ones that run the dining programs for the airlines.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 7:39 am

Interesting. My experience has been that I've used coupons, ordered "specials", and dined on days restaurants supposedly won't give out miles for ~ all posting to my various iDine accounts.
When I very first signed up for iDine, I was curious as to how they made their money. Even though they sell memberships (20% off iDine), I was told by a CSR that iDine provides the credit card processing units, thereby earning revenue and having the ability to track sales. But, because all of my described transactions have posted, I'm assuming there isn't a way for the restaurants to process the discount(s) on the machine. I'm wondering how (if the restaurant supposedly doesn't know you're an iDine customer) they could have flagged the transaction for "no miles".
In any event, I too would be furious. You have done nothing untoward (BTW, I would NOT be furious if my "experimenting" hadn't/didn't earn me miles) All I can suggest is a call to the GM of Mai Kai to see if something can be worked out and a [B]strongly[B] worded note to iDine that you'd be hesitant to use their service in light of your experience. Whether or not you succeed, you have my astonishment and sympathy!

Old Aug 9, 2001, 8:45 am
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rox59:
I'm wondering how (if the restaurant supposedly doesn't know you're an iDine customer) they could have flagged the transaction for "no miles".
</font>
The restaurant knows because Idine called them once or twice regarding this situation. You better believe that Idine and Mai Kai will be receiving letters from me. I don't give up without a fight.

Old Aug 9, 2001, 9:51 am

Programs: 5/1/81 AA Member,1MM
I too am curious how the transaction was processed to receive zero miles. One way for a restaurant to suspect is the use of a credit card that is embossed AAdvantage but that still does not explain how the transaction was recorded as zero miles.By the way, I have charged just a bar bill at several places and received miles. Drinks do have a huge markup over meals.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 10:55 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
If there is no notice that you would not receive miles for an early bird special, I think that they have been deceptive. I have never heard of this. Some restaurant will list things like, ok for take-out (I always wondered how they would know) or valid sun through Thursday. I haven't yet tried the restaurants that require a reservation during certain times. I would keep at it, and describe it as deceptive practices. They need to know that you ate at the restaurant BECAUSE of the miles incentive. The most reasonable person at IDine is no longer in that department. Keep talking to people and let us know.

------------------
DtG
Old Aug 9, 2001, 11:46 pm

I have no problem getting my miles from idine. I even use my entertainment book discount coupon for buy 1 get 1 free deal in the participating restuarant. Miles are still posted.
Old Aug 10, 2001, 12:41 am

From your terriable encounter...only one conclusion can be said... this resturant sucks!

also, you might want to try www.planetfeedback.com

------------------
Al
Old Aug 10, 2001, 6:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Neal:
The restaurant knows because Idine called them once or twice regarding this situation.
</font>
But, initially, they wouldn't (shouldn't) have known. Hopefully, the miles weren't forthcoming and you called their attention to the situation...
I've seen many posts where people aren't giving the partners reasonable time to post. The last thing I'd want to do is to bring
attention to my account unless the miles had been missing for at least 2-3 weeks after 4-6 weeks most ask to allow (especially on the calypso issues). I may be lucky but I haven't had much that didn't post eventually.
Forgive me if that's not your case
Old Aug 10, 2001, 8:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rox59:
[b]
Originally posted by Neal:
The restaurant knows because Idine called them once or twice regarding this situation.
</font>
But, initially, they wouldn't (shouldn't) have known. Hopefully, the miles weren't forthcoming and you called their attention to the situation...

This wasn't the case at all. The first time I called to inquire about the missing miles, I was told that I apparently used a coupon. When I said I didn't, they said they would check with the Mai Kai. The restaurant then said I was "compped" and received "free" appetizers and deserts. When Idine got back to me, I said "absoulutely not." Then, iDine
called Mai Kai again and was told I received
the "early bird" special which is "a discount" and does not count.
Old Aug 10, 2001, 8:26 am
Original Member
Original Poster

[b]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> But, initially, they wouldn't (shouldn't) have known. Hopefully, the miles weren't forthcoming and you called their attention to the situation... </font>

This wasn't the case at all. The first time I called to inquire about the missing miles, I was told that I apparently used a coupon. When I said I didn't, they said they would check with the Mai Kai. The restaurant then said I was "compped" and received "free" appetizers and deserts. When Idine got back to me, I said "absoulutely not." Then, iDine
called Mai Kai again and was told I received
the "early bird" special which is "a discount" and does not count.

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 08-10-2001).]
Old Aug 10, 2001, 9:08 am

maybe the tech savvy businesses have figured out a way to track these things. I am not saying this means anything, but read this:
With the introduction of our new iDine.com web site this year, we now have a method that lets restaurants adjust their rewards according to their particular need to generate more traffic in their establishment. As a result, we have attracted many more restaurants to our program than ever before, including many top-rated restaurants and multi-unit restaurants such as Chart House, Wolfgang Puck, and our newest addition, Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurants!

If they can adjust the awards, maybe now they can key in if discounts were used on that transaction vs. just sending the totals to IDINE............maybe???
Old Aug 10, 2001, 11:36 am
Original Member
Original Poster

In my opinion, this whole thing really stinks. First, when we sat down to eat, they didn't bring us the Early Bird menu. When we asked for it, they seemed pissed off, no doubt because our bill would be so much less. Then, looking at my last post, you can see how they kept trying to find excuses to avoid giving me the miles.

iDine won't budge on the matter and I have yet to contact Mai Kai, who seems to really be stubborn. According to the iDine "terms and conditions" in their August guide, "AAdvantage Dining benefits are not available when used with other dining programs such as coupons or discount cards."

Well, it wasn't a coupon, discount card, Entertainment, Diners Club or Trans Media
type of program. But apparently, an "Early Bird" dinner is a "program" too! The only way I justify eating at this over priced and over hyped restaurant is for the roughly 1500 miles plus another 20/20 partner.

I wonder if Mai Kai's argument would hold up in court. Yes, I would definitely take it this far as a matter of principal. Furthermore, I think it would make a great test case as far as setting a precedent. I'd be interested in hearing what others would do assuming letters and/or phone calls
doesn't do the trick.
Old Aug 10, 2001, 1:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Neal:

I wonder if Mai Kai's argument would hold up in court. Yes, I would definitely take it this far as a matter of principal. I'd be interested in hearing what others would do assuming letters and/or phone calls
doesn't do the trick.
</font>
I would just not eat there in the future. As a matter of fact, I am coming to FLL this Sunday and I will not even think about going there. I tend to look in the Dining Guide when I go out of town. I always push to the end and fight for things, but I personally would not spend the money to go to court over this one.
Old Aug 11, 2001, 9:41 am

Can't advantage dining put pressure on these guys to give you the miles? Or are they just throwing their arms up and saying there is nothing they can do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.