Search

JFK AA Terminal 8 - poor to no cellular service some areas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
No Verizon Service at JFK, far concourse

Apparently, there is an ongoing problem getting Verixon service in the far concourse at JFK (not sure of exact concourse letter). This includes the AC and AC staff said this has been going on for a month now. Right now there are some frustrated Verizon users in the AC.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 17, 2013 at 7:21 am Reason: retitle / maintain title
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:19 pm

In my experience (and I don't have Verizon), a lot of airports have crappy reception.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:43 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Verizon is presumably run by AA

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I have had only one bar of (Sprint) service in TBIT...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:30 pm

I had a similar experience at the same terminal and AC back in January.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

More JFK than AA.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This isn't really AA-related, but OTOH it is about the AA terminal, so... But one issue is if this is normal - airports are constructed of steel, concrete etc. materials to a very heavy duty standard to resist all kinds of disasters, so unless a cellular phone tower is very close there will be sufficient signal attenuation that poor to no reception will virtually be assured (even more so in the "tunnel" lower level passage between the 1-16 and 31-47 concourses, where I'd be surprised to get a decent signal).

I'd probably have inquired at the AC (or elsewhere) if poor Verizon reception is normal. (My guess is that it is.)
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
This isn't really AA-related, but OTOH it is about the AA terminal, so... But one issue is if this is normal - airports are constructed of steel, concrete etc. materials to a very heavy duty standard to resist all kinds of disasters, so unless a cellular phone tower is very close there will be sufficient signal attenuation that poor to no reception will virtually be assured (even more so in the "tunnel" lower level passage between the 1-16 and 31-47 concourses, where I'd be surprised to get a decent signal).

I'd probably have inquired at the AC (or elsewhere) if poor Verizon reception is normal. (My guess is that it is.)
And, complaints should be directed to Verizon
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes its a Verizon not AA issue. However, T8 is mostly AA flights and if you have Verizon and need to make an important call or send a text (like me yesterday) I suggest you do it beforehand if possible. Luckily, one of the AC staff allowed me to call Miami from a land line. There are phones in the AC but for local & toll free numbers only.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No doubt about that - neither AA nor the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has anything to do about cellular tower positioning and signal strength.

For now, it seems there is no or poor signal strength - one should plan accordingly.

We'l leave this as a notice thread and close it for lack of AA appropriateness. /Moderator

Originally Posted by mvoight
And, complaints should be directed to Verizon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.