Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-TPE First Class vs. Biz?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2001, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

SFO-TPE First Class vs. Biz?

Okay, I plan to go to Taipei next February, which is off-peak. I was thinking of taking CX 1st class, but it seems a waste to do so as CX awards are good year round and I'm using it in off-peak! Then my other half wants to tag along. So I can get the AA two 1st class ticket, which is less miles needed. Or, we can get two dirt cheap off-peak coach tickets, and upgrade them to biz class.

So, my questions are: 1) what's the difference between AA and CX 1st class? 2) between AA 1st and biz? 3) how do I upgrade? 4) how far in advance is PlanAAhead?

Thanks!

------------------
WooHoo!
Old Aug 6, 2001, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure about the AA part - their Pacific fleet is different from their Atlantic ones. Also, AA departs out of SJC to Taipei. In general, CX will offer better service and meals.

Keep in mind Chinese New Year falls in February next year (not sure when). It will be busy season around it (fare should be the same but availability will not be good leaving Taiwan right before the New Year and going to Taiwan before the New Year holiday ends). People in Taiwan love to travel during that time.

Steven

[This message has been edited by username (edited 08-06-2001).]
Old Aug 7, 2001, 6:09 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
CX first class may be the best in-flight experience on earth. [ Some would argue that SQ gets that distinction. ]

AA FC from SJC is nothing to sneeze at. The beds are nice. The service is quite good.

But it's not even in the same league with CX.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EP
I look at it this way...

When you have the chnace to go in first and CX is a choice -- there is no issue -- Choose CX!!!!!

Their "little touches" like a little table card presented with your dinner and signed by the F/As is a VERY nice touch. PLus they do the sleeper suits, big pillows and duvets (if I remember correctly). AA doe snot have the sleeper warm-ups or duvets.

Their F/As are SO attentive and the food was VERY good.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
CX would be the best choice. If you are
flying from SFO you may wish to travel first
to LAX to catch a CX 747. I think they only
do Airbus out of SFO. AA service to TPE I
believe is in a different confirguration than
Atlantic service. Have no idea about AA or
CX Business Class service.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
It would seem to me that if the choice was Bay-area to TPE nonstop on AA or connect thru LAX on CX, even if CX had their new seats, then I would go on AA.

Then you factor in the fact that the cost is 200,000 on AA vs. 250,000 miles on CX, it's even more difficult to justify going thru LAX?

Now, comparing old CX seats from SFO vs. AA sleeper seats from SJC?

Assuming both airlines had non-stop flights with fully flat seats, I would pay 50,000 extra miles for CX...it is a better experience.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I've searched and found good revs of CX, but I think I'll end up taking AA as it's direct from SJC. I just don't know if there's a big difference between 1st and biz., and if it's worth upgrading to biz.

I am going for New Years..

------------------
WooHoo!
Old Aug 7, 2001, 1:22 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
The typo AAExecPlatFlier has in his post just cracked me up.. I'm still laughing..

"doe snot"

I needed a laugh today, even if it was a mistake.

(edited to fix my own typo's.. hahah)

Flip

[This message has been edited by flipside (edited 08-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by flipside (edited 08-07-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.