Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming home from Europe on AA...connect in LHR or JFK?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by SoCalFlyer23

Out of ZRH, I have two routing options: ZRH-LHR-LAX or ZRH-JFK-LAX...
The time spent in Immigration and Customs is a crapshoot. Sometimes the lines are slow, sometimes they are fast.

When all else is equal, I prefer to arrange thing so I enter the USA in my ultimate destination city. For me, that's LAX. Thus, I'm not worried about making a connection, nor do I worry about having lots of waiting time between flights.

I get to LAX, go through Immigration and Customs (no matter how long or how short that takes), then call MrQ from the cell phone lot, get in the car and head home.

I have flown AA137 LAX-LHR many times. It's OK.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Option 1 too, also Galleries First lounge at LHR

if you have time, as an EXP. It's great, but you need to allow time to get between terminals to catch your flight. ~30 min.

ZRH JFK is an easy upgrade. As all have said, the LHR-LAX will be tighter. 767 MCE is decent. 77W is supposedly eh.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by catmndu
Having just flown ZRH-JFK-ORD-TUS this past weekend I would vote for option 1 but option 2 isn't all that bad and you get to avoid LHR all together.
JFK and LHR are both airports that I have historically tried to avoid, but have found difficult since doing a challenge to bring my elite status from UA to AA. However, the big difference to me between the two is that the BA Galleries lounge at LHR beats the stuffings out of the Admirals Clubs at JFK.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Carolinian
JFK and LHR are both airports that I have historically tried to avoid, but have found difficult since doing a challenge to bring my elite status from UA to AA. However, the big difference to me between the two is that the BA Galleries lounge at LHR beats the stuffings out of the Admirals Clubs at JFK.
Yeah, but he can use the FL lounge at JFK which is pretty good. I'd give a slight nod to BA at LHR.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
767 J is not badL food is decent and the Samsung tablets keep you entertained enough. That being said, the new 77W J is simply a wonderful product that you could fully enjoy on your way to LAX. As usual, I'd go with the option that has the most chances of success.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Yeah, but he can use the FL lounge at JFK which is pretty good. I'd give a slight nod to BA at LHR.
Are you sure you went to the Galleries First in T5? That's a million times better than JFK Flagship. The regular BA lounges are only slightly better.
Old May 29, 2013, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP, UA - resigned in protest, Marriott - Platinum, Pepsi - Platinum, TSA One-Finger Saluter
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
The time spent in Immigration and Customs is a crapshoot. Sometimes the lines are slow, sometimes they are fast.

When all else is equal, I prefer to arrange thing so I enter the USA in my ultimate destination city. For me, that's LAX. Thus, I'm not worried about making a connection, nor do I worry about having lots of waiting time between flights.

I get to LAX, go through Immigration and Customs (no matter how long or how short that takes), then call MrQ from the cell phone lot, get in the car and head home.

I have flown AA137 LAX-LHR many times. It's OK.
Very valid points QueenOfCoach, and only having to check my bag once and not have to collect and re-check it again at JFK is a huge advantage. In the event of a mis-connect at LHR, I could always be rerouted LHR-JFK(/DFW/ORD)-LAX.

I assume you mean LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX are OK in coach...you are the queen, after all.

Should be noted, the ZRH-JFK-LAX just went up $50 (fare bucket went from V to L), narrowing the gap to about $180 between the two options. Also, a 3rd option: right now with ZRH-LHR-LAX at an H fare, the discount business fare (I class) is only $749 more. Maybe that's the way to go...confirm the 77W J seat, take the upgrade lottery anxiety away and put in a SWU for the F upgrade for the heck of it? Thoughts, everyone?
Old May 29, 2013, 1:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
One thing I will say is that your ZRH-JFK flight, while it would be operated by an aircraft with an older business class product, would be a daytime flight. I find NGBC (the current J product) to be perfectly comfortable for daytime flight, with lots of options for reclining to watch telly, reclining to read a book, and reclining La-Z-Boy style for a quick nap. The 763 also has the benefit of direct aisle access with nobody crawling over you if you catch a middle seat. On the other hand, some have commented on the 77W J/F seat thread that the new J seats on the 77W are more comfortable for red-eyes than for daytime flights (caveat: I've not flown the new 77W--first flight next month!). I am also a huge fan of J on the 762 (am I the only one?); I find those old seats quite comfortable.

Given all of this, I personally would find enough pros and cons in each to just go with price and schedule on this trip. Of course, if F on the 77W is a legitimate option, and you're not daunted by spending another $750, I say go for that! The only downside there is how light your wallet will feel after the flight...
Old May 29, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
One thing I will say is that your ZRH-JFK flight, while it would be operated by an aircraft with an older business class product, would be a daytime flight. I find NGBC (the current J product) to be perfectly comfortable for daytime flight, with lots of options for reclining to watch telly, reclining to read a book, and reclining La-Z-Boy style for a quick nap. The 763 also has the benefit of direct aisle access with nobody crawling over you if you catch a middle seat. On the other hand, some have commented on the 77W J/F seat thread that the new J seats on the 77W are more comfortable for red-eyes than for daytime flights (caveat: I've not flown the new 77W--first flight next month!). I am also a huge fan of J on the 762 (am I the only one?); I find those old seats quite comfortable.

Given all of this, I personally would find enough pros and cons in each to just go with price and schedule on this trip. Of course, if F on the 77W is a legitimate option, and you're not daunted by spending another $750, I say go for that! The only downside there is how light your wallet will feel after the flight...
I agree. It all gets down to the ac on the longest flight. If you can ride on a single 777 all the way to LA its the way.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by SoCalFlyer23
I assume you mean LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX are OK in coach...you are the queen, after all.
AA136 and 137 are OK in coach. It greatly depends on if you get an empty seat next to you. If I can't get bulkhead seats, I try to sit towards the back of the plane, letting the Type A personalities grab the seats towards the front. It takes longer to deplane when you're in the back, but it's a mellower crowd back there with a better chance of empty seats. Since I am arriving at my home airport, I'm not concerned about making a connection.

The best seats in the house are the bulkhead seats 31 AB HJ. You have acres of legroom in front of you. The window passenger can easily get up and down without disturbing the aisle passenger. I prefer the window seat, if possible, because the aisle seat gets bumped by carts occasionally.

Also be aware that the flight attendants use those acres of "your" space for service cart turn-arounds. Thus, you cannot figure on putting a lot of stuff there. I just have my shoulder tote bag, so I'm fine. Last time, when I was in 31J, the aisle seat passenger in 31H had a overhead bin carry on suitcase that she wanted to keep in front of her during the flight. She had all kinds of stuff in it like eye shades, blow-up pillow, magazines, etc. That suitcase constantly got in the way of the service carts. The FAs asked her again and again to clear the area. 31H should have put her immediate flight needs in a small tote bag and left her large carryon suitcase in the overhead bin.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
AA136 and 137 are OK in coach.

<snip>

The best seats in the house are the bulkhead seats 31 AB HJ. You have acres of legroom in front of you.
Careful--these flights will soon be shifting to the 77W, and there are different seats which are better on that aircraft. I've not been on the 77W yet, but I venture to say that row 16 would be better than row 31 on that aircraft.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
+1 for option #1 -- the BA First Class lounge in LHR T3 is miles better than JFK FL (they have real Champagne, for one thing)

BUT, what are the immigration lines like at LAX these days? A few months ago--before the sequester--people were reporting 2+ hours in line. JFK immigration isn't my idea of fun, but it doesn't have the reputation for the horrible delays LAX seems to experience. Depends where you want to put your misery...
Old May 29, 2013, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yet another vote for Option 1, BA Galleries lounge at LHR T3 and LHR-LAX. OTOH for hundreds of dollars, it may not be worth it.

Last edited by Microwave; May 29, 2013 at 9:42 am Reason: Corrected my esteemed colleague's typo :)
Old May 29, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
One thing I will say is that your ZRH-JFK flight, while it would be operated by an aircraft with an older business class product, would be a daytime flight. I find NGBC (the current J product) to be perfectly comfortable for daytime flight, with lots of options for reclining to watch telly, reclining to read a book, and reclining La-Z-Boy style for a quick nap. The 763 also has the benefit of direct aisle access with nobody crawling over you if you catch a middle seat.
I really like AA's 763s, but I haven't yet tried the 77Ws. The C seat is comfortable, but if you're on an aisle by the windows, it is a bit precarious when the window passenger wants to get out. Even in Y, I didn't mind AA's 757 service to Boston either, but again, since it's a day-time flight, it's a lot easier.

If I had your choices, I would definitely go with LHR as opposed to JFK. I tried to avoid JFK and IAD whenever possible even if I had to connect from LGW to LHR and then onto BOS. Customs can be a real mess at both locations, especially if you don't have Global Entry. Although, with LAX as home, you're likely used to that. Enjoy the trip!
Old May 29, 2013, 1:29 pm

Careful--these flights will soon be shifting to the 77W, and there are different seats which are better on that aircraft. I've not been on the 77W yet, but I venture to say that row 16 would be better than row 31 on that aircraft.

Yep, you are right. I stand corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.