Search

AA Number One on "Richest U.S. Air Route"

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

AA Number One on "Richest U.S. Air Route"

From Bloomberg:
New York-Los Angeles is both the busiest long-haul U.S. route, at about 3.2 million passengers a year, and the richest, at $1.43 billion in annual sales, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. First-class fares on that trip may be 10 times as much as in coach, based on prices on airline websites.

“Pandering to business traffic is a lot more important than getting volume,” said Michael Boyd, president of consultant Boyd Group International Inc. in Evergreen, Colorado. He estimates that premium seats typically generate three-fourths of the revenue on a cross-country flight.

[...]

American, reorganizing in bankruptcy and poised to merge with US Airways Group Inc. (LCC), accounts for 32 percent of revenue on the New York-Los Angeles route, according to Boyd. By his estimates, Virgin America has 21 percent, Delta has 19 percent, United Continental Holdings Inc.’s United is at 16 percent and JetBlue has 11 percent.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: UA Silver
Just checked 5/27. DL has 8 flights on B752 and VX has 5 flights on A320. How does VX get more revenue than DL?
Old May 22, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by blug
Just checked 5/27. DL has 8 flights on B752 and VX has 5 flights on A320. How does VX get more revenue than DL?
Maybe DL's loads and/or prices are lower?
Old May 22, 2013, 7:01 am
Suspended

I guess:

VX: mostly point to point with limited network revenue
DL: hub to spoke or network revenue somehow drags down the overall performance of the route.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
# of flights, aircraft type or seats sold is close to meaningless. It's all about revenue and net revenue. Look at the price differential between the highest premium and the lowest steerage fare bucket and you can see just how weighted profitability is in favor of high-paying premium seats as well as full fare steerage.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
This route really has 3.2 million passengers per year? That's over 8,700 people/day! I can't believe that.

How many flights are there in total? If the average plane holds 200 people (and that is a generous number), that's about than 46 flights per day!

...and most of these planes are 737s/A320s (only hold about 140 people)
...with the occasional 757 (about 200 people)
...and a few 767s (about 250 people)

Is this accurate??
Old May 22, 2013, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
This route really has 3.2 million passengers per year? That's over 8,700 people/day! I can't believe that.

How many flights are there in total? If the average plane holds 200 people (and that is a generous number), that's about than 46 flights per day!

...and most of these planes are 737s/A320s (only hold about 140 people)
...with the occasional 757 (about 200 people)
...and a few 767s (about 250 people)

Is this accurate??
Remember that as an O&D market, not all flights have to be non-stop, and not all will be to JFK. One-stops would definitely be included in that number, and I would imagine that co-terminals in both cities would also be part of that number (SNA-ORD-LGA for example).

And I just used my FlightTrack iOS app to look at LAX -> JFK direct flights for tomorrow, on all airlines, and found 32 (not counting the QF flight that would have no O&D traffic). Assuming all aircraft make the turn, that's 64 daily flights between just LAX and JFK, not counting co-terminals or one-stop connections.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
Remember that as an O&D market, not all flights have to be non-stop, and not all will be to JFK. One-stops would definitely be included in that number, and I would imagine that co-terminals in both cities would also be part of that number (SNA-ORD-LGA for example).

And I just used my FlightTrack iOS app to look at LAX -> JFK direct flights for tomorrow, on all airlines, and found 32 (not counting the QF flight that would have no O&D traffic). Assuming all aircraft make the turn, that's 64 daily flights between just LAX and JFK, not counting co-terminals or one-stop connections.
Well then I stand corrected.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:50 am

A search for a random Friday in June JFK/EWR - LAX yields 45 Flights..... (48 if you include EWR-SNA)

10 AA
20 UA
8 VX
7 DL
3 UA to SNA

Last edited by tfjim; May 22, 2013 at 8:59 am
Old May 22, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Well then I stand corrected.
For what it's worth, I do find it a staggering number of flights as well!
Old May 22, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Microwave
Remember that as an O&D market, not all flights have to be non-stop, and not all will be to JFK.
Another fine Bloomberg article... doesn't specify whether the passenger counts from BTS are O&D or total; doesn't specify if Boyd's market share estimates are non-stop or connecting; doesn't specify if the market is metro NYC to metro LA, JFK-LAX, or yet some other possible definition.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this accurate??
As others have pointed out - it's accurate. O&D traffic between NYC and the LAX area is very heavy, but not the busiest.

The most heavily-traveled O&D market in the USA is between the Bay Area and the LA Basin, where an average of 19,906 O&D passengers flew between SFO/SJC/OAK and LAX/BUR/ONT/LGB/SNA each day in 4Q2012. That's an average of 9,953 each way, every day. Of course, WN, with 90-some daily flights, dominates that market.

In 4Q2012, the NYC area and the LA Basin featured an average of 10,576 daily O&D passengers, or 5,288 each way. As pointed out above, these are total O&D passenger counts, not necessarily nonstop passengers, so quite a few of them connected (at DEN, PHX, DFW, IAH, ORD, ATL, etc) between SoCal and NYC.

In the fourth quarter of 2012, AA carried an average of 825 O&D passengers each way, every day between JFK and LAX. The nine daily 762s featured 1,674 seats each way, so quite a few of the AA passengers on that route were connecting at LAX or JFK.

Here's a link to the latest O&D numbers: http://www.dot.gov/policy/aviation-p...onsumer-report
Old May 22, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Another fine Bloomberg article... doesn't specify whether the passenger counts from BTS are O&D or total; doesn't specify if Boyd's market share estimates are non-stop or connecting; doesn't specify if the market is metro NYC to metro LA, JFK-LAX, or yet some other possible definition.
My bad, I assumed... Guess you know what that makes me!
Old May 22, 2013, 10:08 am

Slightly off-topic question then:

If this is the most profitable route in the US, then...

1) What is the most profitable route from the US to anywhere in the world,
2) What is the most profitable route in the world (anywhere to anywhere, not just US)
Old May 22, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by chongcao
I guess:

VX: mostly point to point with limited network revenue
DL: hub to spoke or network revenue somehow drags down the overall performance of the route.
Here are a couple of other differences which may account for the observed discrepancy:

Status based comps - Much more generous on DL; free access for many elites to Economy Comfort at booking, free J upgrades. VX, on the other hand, only allows comped access to Main Cabin Select within 24hrs (at the outside) and upgrades to F are paid by all. In addition, VX has one additional Y+ seat on its flights vs. DL's transcon 757s.

Mileage upgrades - Not necessarily a huge factor, but VX doesn't offer any mileage upgrades while DL does. Bottom line, if you want to sit in F on VX you will pay for it with cash somehow.

Corporate contracts - Doubt VX has many and therefore the fares advertised are the fares paid. This is particularly relevant since there are likely very deep discounts to large companies, particularly for J. VX's J customers are paying full-fare (or discount upgrades within a short time before takeoff if available).

Originally Posted by Often1
# of flights, aircraft type or seats sold is close to meaningless. It's all about revenue and net revenue. Look at the price differential between the highest premium and the lowest steerage fare bucket and you can see just how weighted profitability is in favor of high-paying premium seats as well as full fare steerage.
I think revenue per passenger mile is even more important for comparison purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.