Wiki Posts
Search

AA.com or Expedia.com

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM
AA.com or Expedia.com

I have booked my flights at AA.com for the last 8 years but might use Expedia going forward.

Is there any thing negative with booking at Expedia versus AA.com?

Thanks,
Rod
Old May 14, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Rodraid
I have booked my flights at AA.com for the last 8 years but might use Expedia going forward.

Is there any thing negative with booking at Expedia versus AA.com?

Thanks,
Rod
I've found less expensive choices on Expedia in the past. However, Expedia won't let you mix and match fares like aa.com will, for example book outbound in business and inbound in coach.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
If you use Expedia (or any other OTA), if you have any problems pre-travel, you have to call Expedia, not AA. That's one more person you have to talk to, which means one more opportunity for something to get screwed up. I had a problem with a hotel reservation using an OTA, and it was a pain in the rear to get fixed. Ever since I've ALWAYS booked my travel directly with the airline/hotel, even if it's more expensive.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996
I've found less expensive choices on Expedia in the past. However, Expedia won't let you mix and match fares like aa.com will, for example book outbound in business and inbound in coach.
In the past 9 months or so I have seen many instances where aa.com
had lower fares than Expedia and Orbitz on identical flights (usually "O" fares on aa.com for transatlantic flights that were not available on the other two). Even in the case of identical fares, I would much rather deal with AA agents than Expedia agents when schedule changes or other "hiccups" occur.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:36 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
If you use Expedia (or any other OTA), if you have any problems pre-travel, you have to call Expedia, not AA. That's one more person you have to talk to, which means one more opportunity for something to get screwed up. I had a problem with a hotel reservation using an OTA, and it was a pain in the rear to get fixed. Ever since I've ALWAYS booked my travel directly with the airline/hotel, even if it's more expensive.
I've never had a problem calling AA to deal with reservations booked on Expedia. If you have a Chase card and use Ultimate Rewards, you can get bonus points booking your AA flights on Expedia or Travelocity.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I used Expedia 2 weeks ago to book a flight on AA. It was actually cheaper than every other website by about 15%. Once I purchased the ticket, the reservation showed up on AA.com within a few minutes. I was able to choose my seats and request my upgrades (which I got).

It was probably the first time I used Expedia to purchase an airline ticket in about 10-12 years.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
AA is like other airlines that guarantee they have the lowest fare. Looks like they match plus give a $50 credit.

AA match rules

Though I don't ever expect any of them to make good on their policy.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
AA will happily help you with a non-AA purchased ticket.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...ternal_fee.jsp

There just might be a fee for those who aren't EXP depending on the circumstances.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I would not book airfare on Expedia or any other OTA when bookable on an airline website. For the same reasons as quoted above. If an airfare is published, it should be EXACTLY the same on the airline web site. If it non-published (consolidator), you get no miles. You lose either way!

The exception is when you have to book a single ticket using two or more airlines who don't code share. Not a common occurrence.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Xero
There just might be a fee for those who aren't EXP depending on the circumstances.
This is an important item to note.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: CharlesPoedyOB
Orbitz usually has the lowest price for me but always check the airlines sites first.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:11 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by armus
AA is like other airlines that guarantee they have the lowest fare. Looks like they match plus give a $50 credit.

AA match rules

If you spend a little time looking here you will find that quite a few people have availed themselves of this, successfully. Even the restrictions about "same fare class" don't seem to be taken literally by AA in granting the guarantee.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by armus

AA match rules

I totaly forgot about the price-matching..that being said, I was booking my ticket @ around midnight and had to start work about 5:00 so I really wasn't going to cry about it..

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I would not book airfare on Expedia or any other OTA when bookable on an airline website. For the same reasons as quoted above. If an airfare is published, it should be EXACTLY the same on the airline web site. If it non-published (consolidator), you get no miles. You lose either way!

The exception is when you have to book a single ticket using two or more airlines who don't code share. Not a common occurrence.
I got all my eqm's + bonus on my flights which I booked on Expedia.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: AA PLT / National EC
Originally Posted by Bowgie
If it non-published (consolidator), you get no miles.
What do you mean?
Old May 16, 2013, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by 1337
What do you mean?
Some OTAs sell flights that are not normal tickets. So while everything else looks normal, you'd get no miles for your flight.

I don't recall AA doing this, but DL has started doing it recently.

Oh, and Welcome to Flyertalk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.