Wiki Posts
Search

Newly minted FAs! [on my flight, Apr-May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Newly minted FAs! [on my flight, Apr-May 2013]

On last Friday, 5/3, TUL-DFW I had an experience I haven't had in a looong time-a brand new FA!

She was working F (with assistance) in the lead position. You could see she didn't have her routine down yet, and everything seemed new.

At the end of the flight, I asked if she had been doing this long, and she said it was her 2nd week. I told her that 99%+ of her passengers, and an even higher percentage of EXP's are really nice. She said that one of the older FAs had said the same thing. I gave her an AAplause Certificate.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Saw a new one on IAH-DFW a few days ago too. I guess if they can crank out a full drink service in 32 minutes AA figures they can do anything.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
On Saturday in mid-April DFW-LAX (and LAX-DFW) and then last Saturday DFW-LAX there were 8 FA in training on the flights. Nice to have extra help and there were constantly checking on us in F. Good attitude and pleasant.

One of the regular FA's mentioned in conversation that they often use the Saturday flights to do the on-board training.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
On DFW-OKC the other day I had a group of four or five who seemed to be in the initial stages of FA training as well.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
On last Friday, 5/3, TUL-DFW I had an experience I haven't had in a looong time-a brand new FA!

She was working F (with assistance) in the lead position. You could see she didn't have her routine down yet, and everything seemed new.

At the end of the flight, I asked if she had been doing this long, and she said it was her 2nd week. I told her that 99%+ of her passengers, and an even higher percentage of EXP's are really nice. She said that one of the older FAs had said the same thing. I gave her an AAplause Certificate.
It's interesting to see a brand spankin' new FA at number 1, at least as far as my knowledge of the process goes. But it sounds like a great employee, even if the details haven't been internalized yet.

On an almost unrelated, but similar note, my MSY-DFW flight on Monday had an inop PA system. Rather than try and cancel the flight, they did all of the safety and relevant announcements with a bullhorn. It was most amusing and very refreshing. These were more veteran FAs who just had the right attitude.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LucWise
On DFW-OKC the other day I had a group of four or five who seemed to be in the initial stages of FA training as well.
That's unfortunate - by time they work a flight, they're at the end of their FA training (several weeks at HDQ).

It's been almost 12 years since there were significant numbers of brand new FAs (not counting the small number of speakers hired for LAX-PVG). I recall transcons that were double-staffed in the late 1990s with new-hires. When you have 20 people serving food and drinks, the service tends to be attentive.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:48 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I also had a plane-full of brand new FA's on a 763 from LAX to DFW on Sunday, April 28. They worked alongside the regular FA's for the flight. The newbies said their training was almost complete and this was their second flight ever.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brp
On an almost unrelated, but similar note, my MSY-DFW flight on Monday had an inop PA system. Rather than try and cancel the flight, they did all of the safety and relevant announcements with a bullhorn. It was most amusing and very refreshing. These were more veteran FAs who just had the right attitude.

Cheers.
Got any pictures?

Last weekend at LAX, the PA system was either ineffective or inop and the GA's were doing pre-board/boarding announcements using large white and red bullhorns as well.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:24 am

We had a new FA on LHR-ORD last week; prior to departure, the Capt announced that "Charles" had just graduated from FA training school and this was his first working flight, so please welcome him if you see him.
That was nice.
Unfortunately it then got a bit silly, as every time the Capt made an announcement it was on the lines of "Charles wants you to only use the lavatories in your cabin" or "Charles wants you to keep your seat belt fastened even when the sign is not on", and when we encountered a bit of turbulence "don't worry Charles, it will soon smooth out".

Charles was working the Y cabin so fortunately I was not able to greet him.

Happy Travels.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by NDFan
We had a new FA on LHR-ORD last week; prior to departure, the Capt announced that "Charles" had just graduated from FA training school and this was his first working flight, so please welcome him if you see him.
That was nice.
Unfortunately it then got a bit silly, as every time the Capt made an announcement it was on the lines of "Charles wants you to only use the lavatories in your cabin" or "Charles wants you to keep your seat belt fastened even when the sign is not on", and when we encountered a bit of turbulence "don't worry Charles, it will soon smooth out".

Happy Travels.
I'm curious how Charles got a plum bid line so soon out of training.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NDFan
That was nice.

Happy Travels.
I must be in the minority - I would find that pretty funny.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
Last weekend at LAX, the PA system was either ineffective or inop and the GA's were doing pre-board/boarding announcements using large white and red bullhorns as well.
There's a thread on Milepoint about this -- it's apparently been going on at LAX for some time.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Consultette
I must be in the minority - I would find that pretty funny.
I would find it funny, too!
Old May 8, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Last week saw a pair of new FAs deadheading on a SJU-MIA. They were talking about how they had just graduated.

Last fall spoke to a younger "old hand" FA (early 40s) who was enthusiastic that they had just started hiring "new blood" (her words). Sure it can't hurt.

Just can back from an international business class trip with quite curt to unpleasant FAs on the outbound but then very professional and pleasant FAs on the return, all longer term employees, clearly. So just a reminder of the variation between individuals. Still, it's interesting how sometimes they seem to cluster together, though maybe that's just a perceptual bias when one actor dominates.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I'm curious how Charles got a plum bid line so soon out of training.
With the new contract, they are eliminating the distinction between the domestic and international operations, so all of the new hires are getting international qualified.

For the remainder of the month when they finish training, and their first bid month, new AA F/As have an "availability" schedule. It's not quite a line-holder and not quite reserve.

On days where they are "available" they are able to plot uncovered trips on their schedules.

This would be how Charles ended up on a LHR trip -- especially if it was indeed his very first. If it were another destination of course it could also be related to speaker qualifications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.