Search

Possible Sustainability Initiatives for AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by grahampros
The only "sustainability" for AA i really carry about is that they remain as a carrier and maintain all the things certain of us travelers like about them.
But they really can do that and still make efforts toward sustainability. Simple things (some already mentioned) like generating less trash through reusable items (mugs, as suggested), would be a very good step. those garbage bags they come through with are pretty full. On every flight. There are things that the could do without sacrificing the flying experience. There are other things that they could do with moderate sacrifice, but I would guess that the flying public is unwilling to accept those.

In much of the Bay Area, they have now banned plastic grocery bags and instituted a minimal charge for any bag. Great move as it gets people to either not take a bag or to bring reusable bags. Not because of the dime, but because it gets people to think. Still, a fair bit of opposition because it's not convenient. I think that this factor is the biggest issue that any provider faces in trying to achieve something like this...assuming that they're inclined to do so.

(Note: This is not intended as a discussion of general sustainability measures- but an example as a suggestion for directions in which AA could move )

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is AA's summary of its accomplishments since 2005:

https://plus.google.com/+AmericanAir...ts/eaNQSd1nAU7
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Simple things (some already mentioned) like generating less trash through reusable items (mugs, as suggested), would be a very good step.
Or you can bring your own small travel mug and use it for water and for coffee refills. I am sure the FA won't refuse to "top up" your mug with coffee or water.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:26 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Or you can bring your own small travel mug and use it for water and for coffee refills. I am sure the FA won't refuse to "top up" your mug with coffee or water.
Agree completely. Since we're in F/J all the time and get non-trash items, I don't need to do so, but I do carry a metal water bottle thingie to avoid the plastic waste of "bottled" water.

I just think that most won't do this, and the airline can do their part to fill this gap.

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by carlosdca
When I have a water bottle, I've never had an FA on any airline be unwilling to pour water into it instead of their plastic cup.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So-so iin terms of being impressive; it seems mostly about FAs saving "champagne" corks and aluminium cans for recycling.

Anything else (e.g. the "Fuel Smart" program) is really about saving money and only incidentally about environmental impact, IMO. In fact, if they had better PR resources deployed they'd also brag about their newer engine technologies, lighter seats, etc. etc. Big deal, it's purely self-interest with incidental environmental impact, IMO.

I wonder if they recycle the considerable amounts of paper - newspapers and the like people discard onboard, for example - or implement any other "earth friendly" actions, My guess is they may be too preoccupied with bankruptcy and what they consider the basics to spend much effort on this issue (they've even cut back on training, etc. of their personnel).

That's pretty much out of our control, IMO, until they can broaden their focus and perhaps detect such concerns expressed by their customer base. Until then, and even at that time, I think carlosdca said it best.

"It is not about what "they" can do, but what 'I' can do.

I can think of at least 10 things that one can do for the environment without AA having to do anything."
¡Salud!

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here is AA's summary of its accomplishments since 2005:

https://plus.google.com/+AmericanAir...ts/eaNQSd1nAU7
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Has AA tested the biofuel/algae fuel like AS and UA yet? I'd like to see them move in that direction unless it's not feasible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.