Wiki Posts
Search

Booking BA flight to earn AA EQM/EQP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Booking BA flight to earn AA EQM/EQP

I am looking to book JFK-LHR-DUB in biz on BA and to earn AA EQM/P on the JFK-LHR leg and BA EQM/P on the LHR-DUB (miles expire this year). The JFK-LHR AA codeshare is unavailable but is on ba.com. The codeshare shouldn't matter anymore right? So what is the best way to book these flights online with 2 FF#?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
we had a trip last year w/3 segs & used 2 different programs.....called after booking to change from aa to ba on 1 of the segs....
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko
we had a trip last year w/3 segs & used 2 different programs.....called after booking to change from aa to ba on 1 of the segs....
So book the entire trip on ba.com using BA flights and then call AA to get AA miles for the JFK-LHR portions? There's no risk AA says I can't earn miles as I booked originally on BA right?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
call aa & ba to make sure....it was last march when we did it...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
There is no way to separate the FF numbers by leg. You can try to leave your AA number in the reservation, then ask to change to BA when you arrive at LHR, but there is a chance that this would cause your first leg to credit to BA anyway. Also, I have read many reports that it is very difficult to remove your BA FF number once it is added to a BA reservation, to the point that even providing your AA FF number at check-in will not guarantee crediting to AA rather than BA.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
There is no way to separate the FF numbers by leg. You can try to leave your AA number in the reservation, then ask to change to BA when you arrive at LHR, but there is a chance that this would cause your first leg to credit to BA anyway. Also, I have read many reports that it is very difficult to remove your BA FF number once it is added to a BA reservation, to the point that even providing your AA FF number at check-in will not guarantee crediting to AA rather than BA.
Are you sure? I've done it in the past via a travel agent and worked fine. Have to book online for this trip or eat ancillary costs. What about booking the JFK-LHR on BA without a FF# and giving them my AA at check-in and booking the LHR-DUB on BA with my BA FF#?

Another alternative is to not provide my FF at all on BA and only give them my AA for the whole segment and earn BA miles another way (magazine subscription, etc.). I have until Oct for that.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:15 am
Original Poster

You earn AA EQM on BA coded flights that aren't codeshare right? I'm looking at the same flight but one is marketed as a BA flight 186 while the other has an AA codeshare 6149 yet the AA codeshare is $2,000 more expensive in J. Haven't flown on BA after they changed the rules in 2010 so just making sure I get full AA credit on a BA coded flight.

Separately, why would anyone pay for the codeshare?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AAsigman
You earn AA EQM on BA coded flights that aren't codeshare right?
Yep, 100% EQM on all BA flights

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/british.jsp
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mind you, if it's a BA coded flight operated by a non-oneworld airline, you might not be up for any AAdvantage miles.

I'd book the cheapest fares offered (whether AA or BA) and use my AA FFN if I wanted / needed EQM/EQP for the longest sector, and then have BA change my FFN for the DUB sector.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL DM, UA Gold, WOH Glob, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I disagree. you can update after each successive leg. Have done previously. Just have the agent remove the prior number, add the new one and reprint boarding pass. Can do this as many times as needed.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Supercub17
I disagree. you can update after each successive leg. Have done previously. Just have the agent remove the prior number, add the new one and reprint boarding pass. Can do this as many times as needed.
The problem lies with the AMADEUS system that BA uses. Agent must remove FFP , and end the transaction. Then put in new FFP. See my thread below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-problem.html
Old May 13, 2013, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
The OP is trying to prevent BA miles from expiring by crediting LHR-DUB to BA.

There are simpler ways to achieve this.

Just buy something from a non-airline partner - like a 99cent song on itunes and credit the miles ( or in this case, the mile ) to BA.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL DM, UA Gold, WOH Glob, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The problem lies with the AMADEUS system that BA uses. Agent must remove FFP , and end the transaction. Then put in new FFP. See my thread below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-problem.html
Yes, this again reiterates the point that it can be done, even with the AMADEUS system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.