Search

Title match: VIP2 vs. VIPOW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2001, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Title match: VIP2 vs. VIPOW

Well, now that the VIPOW has officially replaced the VIP2 in the EXP membership kit, it's time to do a little side-by-side comparison.

Not an EXP or haven't received your EXP kit yet? See the VIPOW on the Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage under the Exec Plat page.
  • name: VIP2--reasonable sounding name; VIPOW--sounds painful
  • number awarded: VIP2--4 per year; VIPOW--8 per year
  • validity: VIP2--one-way or round-trip, up to six segments; VIPOW--one-way only, up to three segments
  • capacity controls: VIP2--none!; VIPOW--capacity controls on any itineraries containing Europe, Pacific, or South America

Read the fine print on the back of the VIPOW:
  • "This upgrade certificate is subject to capacity controls on all segments of any itinerary containing Europe, Pacific, and South America." and further down,
  • "[book into] A/C [inventory] - for all segments of any itinerary containing Europe, Pacific, or South America." -- in other words not only are international segments now capacity controlled, but also all domestic connecting travel is too.
  • "This certificate is valid only for tickets issued on AA ticket stock" -- This condition is not on the VIP2, it's new.

Other lingering questions:

1. Are 2MM flyers going to get 4 VIPOWs instead of 2 VIP2s now?

2. Did anyone who wrote to Mike Gunn to protest the changes to the VIP2 get a reply yet? Perhaps another internet revolt is in order, like that Fast Company article alludes to with the TTBNS bonus last year.

3. How exactly are they promoting these changes to the systemwide upgds in your EXP kits? Do they call them "new and improved", "more flexible" or what? Surely the cover letter makes mention of the VIPOW...

FewMiles..

------------------
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://home.webflyer.com/fewmiles/AA/
oneworld comparison chart 2001: coming soon
Old Feb 15, 2001, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
I wonder if AA will use the famous Delta excuse "our customers have requested this change to better meet their needs" or some other drivel.

Old Feb 15, 2001, 1:12 pm

The change from roundtrip to one-way in itself isn't that big of a deal, and in fact I would think it would be a good move. While some very savvy EXP's were able to get some impressive itineraries using the six leg maximum rule, the one-way change will better serve those who don't do round trips, such as flying to Europe on AA and returning on someone else or flying on a RTW that obviously doesn't include a roundtrip.

Of course, while the above could be argued, the capacity controls definitely kill these great certs, and they are left hanging above the town fountain, bloodying the water, just to remind EXP's the new direction AA is taking (i.e., everytime one tries to use them internationally, they will see how difficult it is, domestic segments included).

Old Feb 15, 2001, 1:15 pm

An add to my previous post:

Do we yet know AA will handle "one-way" (I'm not an EXP so I don't have these certs, just the scan by Few Miles). I quickly scanned the terms and conditions, and can't tell whether or not the three segments of a one-way journey need to be on the same PNR.

If the answer is no, then you could book SFO-ORD and ORD-CDG separately, if travel is SFO-ORD-CDG, so you could confirm the first segment without capacity controls, yet use only one cert for both?? Or to use the cert for an international journey, would all segments of the cert be capacity controlled, even if it is a different PNR??

How does UA handle this with the Systemwides? Horizons?

So many questions.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I have not heard from Mr. Gunn's office. At this point, I do not expect to receive a reply.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 2:21 pm

I also have not heard back from Mr. Gunn's office.

Anecdotally, I was on the phone with an unhappy EXP agent last night who isn't looking forward at all to dealing with members' requests to find those upgradable seats available under capacity controls. She's not miffed at us, but at the complications AA is placing on her ability to satisfy her customers.

She was able to confirm a VIPOW upgrade on the return from FRA, despite C class being almost full, but not on the outbound, despite C class being wide open. Go figure. It's not going to be nearly as much fun as it used to be.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I had no difficulty booking SJC-TEP upgrades, plus domestic connections from the east coast, for two people in mid-April (about two months' notice) with these. This isn't exactly last-minute travel or a statistically significant sample, but at least they worked for me.

I like the idea of one-way flexibility. I often upgrade eastbound trans-Atlantic but not westbound, especially if I can get one of my favorite exit row seats. This way I can use an eighth of my annual allotment rather than a quarter.

(Still holding onto some VIP2s in case those capacity controls bite me in the future.)
Old Feb 15, 2001, 7:54 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
I am also very disappointed in AA right now - specifically Mike Gunn. I too have not heard from him in regards to the VIP2.

There is also no mention in the letter about the VIPOWs.

Old Feb 15, 2001, 8:24 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Efrem,

You picked flights on brand new flights, so I am not surprised that they had available seats. However, I am really concerned about the new rules, as I often upgrade on a lot of flights where there are only a few paid seats left to sell, and absolutely not upgradable seats available.
Old Feb 16, 2001, 4:22 pm

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
Posted this elsewhere before I saw this thread...was talking to a WONDERFUL EXP agent this week and we were both bemoaning the VIPOW...I mentioned I was close to 2MM (am trying to get one FC seat released on a OGG trip this June). She pulled up the perks for 2MM and read that now I would receive 4 VIPOW...VIP2---RIP.
Old Feb 16, 2001, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
The depressing part is that I'd say the value of the VIPOW is now less than the value of UA's SWU. In terms of segements and capacity controls, they're equal.

However, UA's SWU's are valid to more destinations, as US flies to a LOT more places in Asia & EUrope than AA does, and UA's are also valid on code-share flights with LH.

For me to reach most destinations in Europe on AA flight numbers (for corporate discounts), I have to fly into either BRU or ZRH and take a code-share on Sabena or SwissAir. Unfortunately, AA has EXTREEMLY limited flights into BRU and ZRH.

The ONE thing that AA had was booking straight into J or F. And now that's gone.
Old Feb 16, 2001, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Spoke to the EXP desk the week. I was told frankly that American recognizes the fact that the new VIPOW could result in the inability of many EXP to upgrade international fairs. The reason given for the new VIPOW was that there has been and large increase in the EXP numbers this year. Additional the agent told me that prior to some of the restrictions put on the VIP2 of last year many EXP were purchasing very inexpensive international fairs (~$300) tickets and taking business class seats that American could sell for several thousand dollars. The bean counters are clearly taking over the AAdvantage program.
Old Feb 16, 2001, 9:19 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Mad,

The beancounters are almost certainly right. Since I have taken an upgrade on practically full flights in J or F, they probably could have sold those seats at a much higher price. What the don't realize though is how much money they will lose by the high-revenue EXPs moving business off of AA to another carrier. I agree with others that with the limitation on the upgrades to "space available" status, there may not be enough difference between Platinum and EXP to justify not getting Platinum-type status on two different airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.