Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA NF (77W) vs BA NF

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
AA NF (77W) vs BA NF

Anyone have an opinion yet on how the NF cabin on the new AA 777-300's compares to BA's new First product? Couldn't find a string about this either here or in the EC forum. Curious whether the new AA f cabin feels like a cabin at all with only two rows and not really any more physical separation from J than a curtain?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Anyone have an opinion yet on how the NF cabin on the new AA 777-300's compares to BA's new First product? Couldn't find a string about this either here or in the EC forum. Curious whether the new AA f cabin feels like a cabin at all with only two rows and not really any more physical separation from J than a curtain?
Well, of course the *aisles* have curtains, but then there's the bulkhead across the entire middle of the plane.

Do you really prefer to have a galley separating you from biz? Think of the light / noise / smell pollution.

The two F lavs (for 8 pax) & galley are at the front, so the 2 rows of biz folks (also 1-2-1 on the 77W, in "pods") behind you in rows 3 & 4 won't be coming into your cabin... think of them as soundproofing between row 2 and the biz galley.

There is a new 360-degree panorama available here:

http://c.hub.aa.com/360/AA777_1st_Class.html
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Oh that's a very good reply flyer215, very good
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
All that said, I was just looking at new BA First, and it looks pretty cool. I think I'd do (new) BA F over (new) AA F all else equal, tho haven't sampled the new BA F yet, so going by looks, really, and the fact that "new" AA F hard product is pretty much "old" AA F.

(somewhat unrelated...)

Whereas I'd certainly do new (77W-like) AA Biz over BA Club World. Didn't like the creaky "wall" with privacy screen setup, even on upper deck by the exit row in the window seat (so no trouble getting out). What I found was that every time the person next to me put their tray back (slam!) or their video screen back (bang!) or turned over (bump!), the wall provided virtually no sound insulation. And having the screen lowered for service was odd, at the start of service you're left eating very close (& facing somewhat) to a stranger, until one of you throws the blind up again, lol.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Having flown the new AA F, I can confirm that you certainly don't notice the presence of the J mini-cabin at all.

Also having just flown in 3A on the 77W I can also confirm that in the J mini-cabin you have no awareness of F either, it may only be a curtain, but the way the seats are arranged you really don't see or hear anything going on in the other cabin.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Having flown the new AA F, I can confirm that you certainly don't notice the presence of the J mini-cabin at all.

Also having just flown in 3A on the 77W I can also confirm that in the J mini-cabin you have no awareness of F either, it may only be a curtain, but the way the seats are arranged you really don't see or hear anything going on in the other cabin.
This is not true of 3D and the seat next to it. Because of the way seats are staggered, when I sat in 3D and looked left, the only thing I could see was seat 2A in F. Especially since the curtains are sheer fabric. Now I am not saying this is a bad thing, just an observation. If anything it makes it feel as if you're practically in F. As u mentioned before I really liked the J bulkhead seats as et have storage under the ottoman in front. This was not the case in the other J seat I've sat in. I also noticed that the bathrooms in the back of J cabin were not as nice as the ones in the front by the bar, and certainly not as nice as the ones in F. The mAterials were different and the sinks are not automated.

Regarding F, I'm pretty sure that the ability to eat with a guest in the ottoman is pretty much gone. The TV cabinet uses this space now. Although there is still a seat belt and I was too lazy to try it myself; it certainly seems as though you'd be very uncomfortable sitting in the ottoman now.
It also seems like main access to the F galley and cockpit is along the aisle abutting the A seats. This proved to be unformcortable light and noise wise while in 1A so I would not recommend this seat.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:31 am

Good point about 3D, it is that bit further forward.

I traveled in 1A earlier this month and I didn't find noise an issue and the light was only a slight distraction but it was more obvious I'd agree than 2A.

I do wonder about noise comments though, I'd guess people must not be using the headphones or any other noise blockers, I couldn't travel that way in any cabin just due to engine noise, let alone any other voices from crew.

With headphones in place though, no problems
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Have not flown the new AA F, but have flown the BA new first on LHR-JFK 747 and I was underwhelmed. Now, I must admit it was the last leg of travel that included flights on EY, EK, and QF 388 all in F, so it had some stiff competition.

The BA new F seat has little to no privacy compared to other airlines suites. So, if that is important to you keep it in mind.

The Concorde Room at LHR was a nice bonus though.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T

I do wonder about noise comments though, I'd guess people must not be using the headphones or any other noise blockers,
If you sleep on your side, headphones and noise blockers are not an option. Engine noise is like white noise, so not usually a problem. But chatter and clatter from the crew is a problem, and I found it very disturbing when in 1J on DFW-GRU.
AA really need to get their crews to understand that most of the pax on night flights want to sleep, and the pax in premium cabins have paid a premium to do so. Thus the crews should be trained to work (or not work) as silently as possible during that period.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by NDFan
If you sleep on your side, headphones and noise blockers are not an option.
Personally I use Etymotic ear buds, can sleep on side and no noise issues, but if you can't then I see the problem.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyer215
All that said, I was just looking at new BA First, and it looks pretty cool. I think I'd do (new) BA F over (new) AA F all else equal, tho haven't sampled the new BA F yet, so going by looks, really, and the fact that "new" AA F hard product is pretty much "old" AA F.
I really like the old AA F hard product. Very comfortable and spacious. I haven't flown the new AA F, but Im sure I would like it.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thoughts? "It's against FT policy to cross-post." That's the first thought.

Post deleted.

/Moderator
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thoughts? "It's against FT policy to cross-post." That's the first thought.

Post deleted.

/Moderator

haha. oh come on now. i would think that people in BA forum would have different opinion from those in AA.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Here is an identical thread I started on the BA forum (with a review/comparison):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7w-ba-j-f.html

Edit: I see your cross-post on the BA forum has already been merged into that thread.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There's always the oneworld forum for broader exposure - but when members cross-post identically across fora, we're asked to follow and enforce the rules.

Originally Posted by ekartash
haha. oh come on now. i would think that people in BA forum would have different opinion from those in AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.