Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club - Domestic Flt, Got 2 Drink Tickets at MIA D15 "Because you're EXP"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club - Domestic Flt, Got 2 Drink Tickets at MIA D15 "Because you're EXP"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec

I searched for policy changes and didn't see any update. This may be better in another thread, but there are so many and I'm nearly positive this was an "error in my favor."

I just flew MCO-MIA and I'm waiting for MIA-LAX. I pop into D15's AC, business as usual. The lady scans my BP which is a discounted economy fare, asks for my ID and then issues me 2 drink tickets. I had that moment of fight or flight, but curiosity killed the cat, and the following dialog ensued:

ME: "Thanks, but I'm on a domestic trip, are you sure I'm supposed to get these?"

Agent: "Yes, you're Executive Platinum"

ME: "Are you sure? I've only received these when traveling Internationally" (yes I know Canada, Mexico, Caribbean don't count, but I didn't get into that detail with her).

Agent: Typing away, pulling up something on the computer, "Yup, it says to give you the drink tickets"

ME: "OK, thanks !"

Obviously this has never happened before, and I doubt there's a new policy, but the fact that she verified something on the computer (which I didn't even know it showed them whether to issue tickets or not) makes me wonder what's going on. While this is a pretty lengthy itinerary, there is no paid first, not International, nothing unusual.

Over 6 days:
First Leg: AUS-DFW-MIA
Second Leg: MIA-MCO
Third Leg (TODAY): MCO-MIA-LA
Fourth Leg: SNA-DFW-AUS

Anyways, got an extra drink coupon in D15 for the next hour if anyone wants.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Must be the high Eagle rating

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by brp
Must be the high Eagle rating

Cheers.
It's ironic you say that. Last month I had a trip with my wife, using miles for AUS-SLC for a ski trip. We had an early evening flight out of AUS, and at 9am day of, I get a call that my flight has been canceled and I've been rescheduled for the following morning. Well that was unacceptable, and they had no other options for me. So I called the EXP desk later and after a bit of persistence, I was able to get us on a Delta non-stop that actually ended up improving our schedule, we were able to get in and enjoy a nice dinner rather than get in at midnight.

Regrettably, I went from free checked bags to $80 in Delta bag expenses. My wife was persisting that I claim it with AA for refund. I even inquired on their Facebook page, and it seemed like they were willing to help, but I ultimately told my wife, I wasn't going to do it because:

1. They got me on another flight, the last 2 seats and basically saved our vacation.
2. It was a non cash ticket (miles), so having AA incur more felt dirty
3. Hassle factor
4. I told her of this mythical-to-me Eagles rating system in that I didn't want to cry and complain over a relatively trivial thing to which AA didn't really screw up (except canceling AUS flights due to weather in unrelated areas), but the baggage expense wasn't directly related to their screw-up.

I've got 1.6 MM miles (BIS), and I've never filed a complaint against AA/requested anything. I've only contacted CS to get EQM on flights where I was put on another carrier (aka Original Routing Credit). For this flight, I didn't need ORC since it was miles anyways.

Is this Eagle theory even a possibility?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bryan, there's nothing mythical about the Eagles rating system; it exists. (So does Rule 240 and you got it.) We can do things right, and we can do the right thing; IMO, you did the right thing. In the end, you could probably spend some time and get $80, but the service of the EXP desk was "priceless".

Maybe the drink chits were your karma for that, making the AC agent read the wrong page.

Because you aren't DYKWIA.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Bryan, there's nothing mythical about the Eagles rating system; it exists. (So does Rule 240 and you got it.)
I beg to differ about Rule 240 as an actual "rule." Yes, there is text about it and, yes, it used to be an enforceable rule. Everything I've read in the past number of years indicates that this is no longer an enforceable rule, but merely a suggestion. It is something that AA seems to try to adhere to but, not being an actual rule, not something that can be "demanded."

Perhaps we should just be calling it Suggestion 240

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Bryan, there's nothing mythical about the Eagles rating system; it exists. (So does Rule 240 and you got it.) We can do things right, and we can do the right thing; IMO, you did the right thing. In the end, you could probably spend some time and get $80, but the service of the EXP desk was "priceless".

Maybe the drink chits were your karma for that, making the AC agent read the wrong page.

Because you aren't DYKWIA.
That's why I wrote "mythical-to-me". I've read about it and known it's true, but I don't understand it, nor realize what it's used for. So when I explained it to my wife, it was more of a "I think there's this rating system that does this, but I'm not really sure if this classifies as that."

As far as DYKWIA, I might be posting another thread about a recent EXP I was sitting near who had a great exchange with the FA about why he should be in first (when he was #3 on the list, and I was #2). He made me sad to be an EXP. Apparently, he should get F over non-status people who paid for it. It was great logic, but the AA FA was pretty good about handling it, "Look, we appreciate your business, but if you want to be guaranteed to fly in first, you gotta pay for it buddy."
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

It might be worth noting that my MIA-DFW first leg was delayed by 90 minute, but that was due to storm related DFW closure. I also visited D15 AC the next morning and got no tickets.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:10 am

We plebes / hoi polloi are not meant to understand it .

Fly well, travel safely and may many upgrades come your way.

Originally Posted by BrianV
That's why I wrote "mythical-to-me". I've read about it and known it's true, but I don't understand it, nor realize what it's used for. So when I explained it to my wife, it was more of a "I think there's this rating system that does this, but I'm not really sure if this classifies as that."

As far as DYKWIA, I might be posting another thread about a recent EXP I was sitting near who had a great exchange with the FA about why he should be in first (when he was #3 on the list, and I was #2). He made me sad to be an EXP. Apparently, he should get F over non-status people who paid for it. It was great logic, but the AA FA was pretty good about handling it, "Look, we appreciate your business, but if you want to be guaranteed to fly in first, you gotta pay for it buddy."
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks JDiver. My AA karma is on a role today. I had given up all hope for an upgrade on this MIA-LAX transcon, F has been sold out for over a week. Just moments ago, I got to the gate, #1 on the list, but they announce F is full.

I get halfway down the jet bridge, destined for my 9C exit row economy duties when I hear a loud, "Passenger MY_LASTNAME". I turn around and she says, "I'm so sorry we just cleared you". Of course I said, "No apologies necessary!"

To add additional karma, Gogo is on this 752, which in my experience is rare.

Now all I need to keep the karma coming is a Supermodel to come sit in 6B.

UPDATE: 6B is an older Japanese business man. I'll still take what I can get. I can practice my weak Japanese conversation.

Last edited by BrianV; Mar 13, 2013 at 10:40 am
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:41 am

Man, you know how to push the envelope...

(And sometime, a wish come true doesn't work out so well - we would have been left at sea in rapidly deteriorating conditions after dusk in serious tiger shark country because the supermodel (I will let everyone guess and not confirm) we were diving with became petulant after surfacing before us and demanded to be taken back to the liveaboard dive boat we shared for two weeks so she could warm up with some hot tea - the boatman, much to his credit, refused and waited for us to surface safely.)

Originally Posted by BrianV
Thanks JDiver. My AA karma is on a role today. I had given up all hope for an upgrade on this MIA-LAX transcon, F has been sold out for over a week. Just moments ago, I got to the gate, #1 on the list, but they announce F is full.

I get halfway down the jet bridge, destined for my 9C exit row economy duties when I hear a loud, "Passenger MY_LASTNAME". I turn around and she says, "I'm so sorry we just cleared you". Of course I said, "No apologies necessary!"

To add additional karma, Gogo is on this 752, which in my experience is rare.

Now all I need to keep the karma coming is a Supermodel to come sit in 6B.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the supermodel (I will let everyone guess and not confirm)
I wonder if this is the same the supermodel that we ran into in both the GIG and GRU ACs a few years back...and is now married to a football player. If so, she seemed so nice back then.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:08 am

Nope. That narrows it down, but not so much it violates FT privacy rules .

Originally Posted by brp
I wonder if this is the same the supermodel that we ran into in both the GIG and GRU ACs a few years back...and is now married to a football player. If so, she seemed so nice back then.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
FA gave me an extra biscoff on Sunday to thank me for being an EXP...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:58 am

You must be living right...

Originally Posted by txrus
FA gave me an extra biscoff on Sunday to thank me for being an EXP...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:09 pm

I'm EXP and got one drink ticket on an international itinerary last week. However, I remember a couple instances last year (as PLT) where I got two.

Unless this is a new rule, it's up to the AAgent...and how charming your are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.