Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
LAN Colombia / C4 / LAE (ex-Aires) will join oneworld, and is expected to do so by the end of 2013.

TAM Linhas Aéreas / JJ / TAM, part of the LATAM Airlines Group, has announced it will leave the Star Alliance and join the oneworld alliance, most likely during 2014.
Print Wikipost

Not AA Specific: TAM & LAN Colombia Announce move to oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Xero
I'm waiting for US to make its announcement to join OW.
Click the link on the usairways front page:
The New American Is Arriving

We are pleased to announce that American Airlines and
US Airways will combine to create a premier global airline. Our combined airline joins two highly complementary networks with access to the best destinations around the globe – offering you increased choices, improved efficiency and better options to explore the globe with our oneworld® Alliance.
LCC is just not as significant from a global/alliance wide standpoint as JJ.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
TAM and LAN have merged (effective last year), but they will retain separate identities for the short term (further integration remains yet unannounced, AFAIK). As to when we will have credit for AAdvantage for flying an airline joining oneworld, we sometimes will not be able to do so until they actually join oneworld (a la MH). We can speculate all we want, but it's not likely to do any good until announcements are made.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
I figured they would make the switch. I expect TAP to follow suit. Where TAM goes, TAP follows. And so the deflation of Star continues...
Actually I think TAP will still remain in SA. I am hoping for Avianca to try to acquire TAP again and merge Lifemiles with the Victoria miles program. This would be very good for brazilian people that will be left without a major SA company.

Originally Posted by corporateslave
Have always heard TAM premium long-haul award space is extremely rare, does anyone have any experience?

Would be nice if they moved toward a LAN-like policy, that kind of availability to Brazil would be great. And their new 777 F looks excellent. Although I think it flies mostly GRU->LHR/FRA.
t is indeed,even for people who has TAM Fidelidade. But I think that since they have risen the amount of miles needed and joining OW will make things easier. The new 77W (2 planes, actually) with new F class are doing the SCL, JFK, MIA, LHR routes, most of the time.

Originally Posted by iridge
Does anyone have information on when will domestic TAM flights be eligible for credit to AA?
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Will LAN and TAM be separate members for explorer award purposes like BA and IB or will LATAM count as a single member?
It will be the same as BA and IB, each one will have its own mile program. Right now it is impossible to transfer miles between them.

Originally Posted by JDiver
TAM and LAN have merged (effective last year), but they will retain separate identities for the short term (further integration remains yet unannounced, AFAIK). As to when we will have credit for AAdvantage for flying an airline joining oneworld, we sometimes will not be able to do so until they actually join oneworld (a la MH). We can speculate all we want, but it's not likely to do any good until announcements are made.
TAM will only be part of OW on the second semester of 2014. Only them you will be able to get TAM on AA.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Possibly, and I believe that, but that is speculation as well, IMO. Some airlines have announced codeshares and other possibilities / arrangements prior to full alliance integration.

Originally Posted by geoshina
TAM will only be part of OW on the second semester of 2014. Only them you will be able to get TAM on AA.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Xero
I'm waiting for US to make its announcement to join OW.
That announcement is unlikely until the merger is officially closed so a ways off yet. Once that happens it should quickly follow, but not before.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Will LAN and TAM be separate members for explorer award purposes like BA and IB or will LATAM count as a single member?
Likely the later. They are still separate carriers under different operating certification, and country jurisdiction. . As with BA/IB it's a holding company and they maintain separate operations.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Some airlines have announced codeshares and other possibilities / arrangements prior to full alliance integration.
At least some codesharing should be starting soon. AA and JJ announced a codeshare agreement on 12/17/12, and USDOT approved on 1/25/13. Perhaps Brazilian government approval is still pending (I don't know how to check that).
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:46 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by corporateslave
Have always heard TAM premium long-haul award space is extremely rare, does anyone have any experience?
Yes, usually only avaiable at mileage levels that make even Delta Skymiles look generous and a good value, unfortunately . . .
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by NPF
Yes, usually only avaiable at mileage levels that make even Delta Skymiles look generous and a good value, unfortunately . . .
It's because folks actually pay for it in the market. It's the reason that Brasil is one of the few markets that AA plans to keep F. Folks actually pay for it.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT
Yay! I have been waiting for JJ joining to One World since it was bought by LAN!

There were potential risks which might lead to breaking One World apart in the past few years. Delta tried to provide financial aid to JL during its bankruptcy. AA had to go through restructuring by filing chapter 11. Now JL has completely recovered from bankruptcy in 2 years and is a profitable company. AA will become the largest carrier by the merger with US. MH and JJ joins One World. It is amazing that it gets stronger in short time. I just wish more network in Europe....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.