Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ALERT! Southwest launched a systemwide $99 sale...AA should follow within 24 hrs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALERT! Southwest launched a systemwide $99 sale...AA should follow within 24 hrs.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2000, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally posted by brj8826:
Why would they match the fares for an inferior product with no assigned seating that makes 4 stops between SJC and BWI?
Is that what they have? They run daily bidirectional no-change one-stops between SEA and FLL via BNA. Not bad for a clear transcontinental (NW <==> SE)

BTW, I see they have 2 daily bidirectional no-change one-stops OAK <==> BWI if you want to take a drive up the east bay.
Old Sep 21, 2000, 12:15 pm

I believe the WN for Southwest is a result of the opposite code for Northwest NW... but I could be mistaken....
Old Sep 21, 2000, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

I cannot believe that AA has not matched WN yet. Other majors have matched the sale including US. In fact, I was at SJC today and WN's ticket office is right next to AA's. WN had a big banner posted with the $99 sale on it and the effective dates of the sale. Also, I noticed that the banner did not state that the sale was "Internet only." That must mean that WN is offering this price to everyone, regardless of where they make their reservation and pay for the tickets.

This is certainly the first time in several years that AA has not matched the prices. If people took their business to US and WN and others who match the prices, it could be costly for AA...Or perhaps AA is already oversold for the holidays and they do not need to match the sale in this instance.

Well, I am sure AA's marketing people know what they are doing, I just hope for their sake that this does not come back to bite them.

AA is currently selling the same seats for over $500 that US and WN are selling for $198 or less...and we are talking about hundreds of city pairs across the country.
Old Sep 21, 2000, 8:09 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Bob,

Living in Dallas and having to put up with AA Highway Robbery I am not surprised AA has not matched the sale.

Example: Tulsa - LAX R/T (3 days notice): $634

DFW-LAX (3 days notice): $1786

That's a difference of $1100+

Guess who flies out of Tulsa?

Surprise - Southwest
Old Sep 21, 2000, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Freeupgrade...

OUCH! Point well taken. I certainly would hate to have to pay those prices again and again. How could a family of four afford to travel on those prices? Not everyone in this country has that kind of money. Sad...very sad!
Old Sep 22, 2000, 8:00 am

Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX AA PlatPro, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum,
AA has matched the SW fares - under travel planning - there is a line - Coast to Coast SAAvings. In some markets it is even cheaper (ex - dfw-aus 98.00 instead of SW 115.00)

Check it out!
Old Sep 22, 2000, 9:57 am
Original Poster

AAdvantageGuy...

Wow!!! That is really hiding it. You know that AA did not want everyone to know about this sale so they hid it inside of their web site. This way, they can say that they honored the sale.

For bringing this up to all of us, AAdvantageGuy, You Da Man!

Thank you very much, this will save us all hundreds of dollars by taking AAdvantage of this!
Old Sep 22, 2000, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I just made ten reservations...Yes, AA did match the prices but the only way you can receive them is to go to the "Travel Planning" option on the top of the AA.com page and click on the "Coast To Coast FAARE Sale" link. Then follow the instructions. If you try to make your reservations the conventional way from AA.com, you will not receive the special discounted fares. Not bad...CLE-SAN for $270 round trip after taxes and PFC's...A couple of bucks higher than WN but well worth it when it comes to bonus AAdvantage miles and perks.
Old Sep 22, 2000, 3:14 pm

Unfortunately, SJC-ISP is not on sale....
And I am not too sure that you really need to go via the link on the Travel Planning page. From the instructions, it justs asks you to go to the reservation page (via a click) and then go via the normal way. Unlike other sales, there is no direct link to book a particular fare. And it says further that you may or may not get the fare but if you get it the code will be one of the following. Has anyone had any success in finding cheap transcons on AA?

[This message has been edited by SJC2ISP (edited 09-22-2000).]
Old Sep 22, 2000, 3:45 pm

Not quite transcon, but LAX-ORD for $199 RT all-inclusive.
Old Sep 22, 2000, 4:08 pm

LAX/EXP-I'm curious as to when you're traveling to ORD. I'm trying to go LAX-ORD for Christmas and I keep coming up with $400. I'm hoping to take advantage of this sale!!
Old Sep 22, 2000, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Saw AAdvantageGuy's posting, and then noted the special listed under "Specials" and not in "Travel Planning". Only would quote me a fare of $270+ SEA-FLL (or was it MIA?) Too bad I had bought SEA-FLL on US last night for $217.
Old Sep 22, 2000, 7:50 pm

laxflyer,

Heading to ORD Thanksgiving week. Made the reservations yesterday on aa.com (yes, I was able to use it!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.