Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold/Platinum Challenge?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2000, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Gold/Platinum Challenge?

I am switching to AA and heard a little about this gold/platinum challenge. I am going to be flying AA on August 1st BUF-DFW-LAX-SEL. I will be flying on all AA aircraft except for teh LAX-SEL leg, which will be on Asiana, but AA flight number..(AA 1789, AA 2425, AA6137) and returning on the 17th.. SEL-LAX-ORD-BUF..(AA 6138, AA 1878, AA 482) now my question is with all this mileage will I be able to obtain gold or platimun status on teh challenge?
Estimated rountrip mileage: 16617.

Thanks!
Jason

[This message has been edited by NEFlyer (edited 06-20-2000).]
Old Jun 20, 2000, 3:34 pm

Hello NEFLYER; AA Challenges are a regular topic here and you will find lots of previous threads about them. You can call Customer Service and sign up for a challenge. All challenges begin on the 1st or 16th of any month and last for 90 days. You must select a Gold challenge, or Platinum. Gold requires you to earn 5K points on qualifying carriers, Platinum 10K points (not miles). A point is based on your actual mileage credit vs a conversion factor based on class of service. F gives 150% points to accrued mileage, C gives 125% and Y gives 100% (on AA). You can use AA or any of the marketing carriers that are elite status. Your OZ flites with AA codeshare flight numbers count okay. Its AA in the computer.

Any challenge you begin Jan 1 thru July 1 and successfully complete gives you upgraded status thru Feb 28 of following year (2001). Any challenge that starts July 16 and afterwards and is successful will give you elite status thru Feb of the following year (2002).

Sounds like the 16K miles you are about to do is a slam-dunk. But be sure to register before you leave. They will not go back and pickup already posted flite credits. But remember, its not miles, its points.

[This message has been edited by Island (edited 06-20-2000).]
Old Jun 21, 2000, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
so, depending on the kind of ticket you have you would definitely get gold and might get platinum. If this is a discounted ticket it will count for 8000+ points. If you think you will fly enough in the following months to get the additional 2000 points, then going for platinum would be the better decision.

------------------
DtG
Old Jun 23, 2000, 12:53 am
SK

Does a Platinum Challenge affect achieving Gold through the normal way?
To explain: If one has year-to-date 20,000 miles, at the time the Platinum Challenge begins, will he get Gold status once the 25,000 mi point is reached, in the middle of the Challenge? (and then of course Platinum, if the Platinum Challenge points are achieved)

------------------
"Ex Uno Plures"
Old Jun 23, 2000, 6:37 am

Yes, one would receive the Gold status as soon as the 25,000 miles are achieved. The challenge is runnng independently of the normaly qualifying statistics.
Old Jun 23, 2000, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And you would also get double miles credit for all flights once the 25K level is achieved during the Challenge. Sweet deal indeed. Good luck.
Old Jun 24, 2000, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Unfortunately, when you achieve gold you only get a 25% bonus on your miles - not double. That doesn't happen until you achieve Platinum (presumably on your challenge) What is nice is that you get DOUBLE on the segment which makes you Platinum. ( you get 25%+ on the segment that makes you gold) That was a nice surprise for the 4000 mile segment from Brussels. Didn't expect that.

------------------
DtG
Old Jun 25, 2000, 1:42 am
SK

Thank you all for the information. I'll be looking forward to my trips.

------------------
"Ex Uno Plures"
Old Jun 25, 2000, 8:41 am

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
When Gold are the 25% bonus miles ones that count toward "flown miles" (thus good toward platinum status) or are they miles just added to the account (such as Citibank miles)?

thanks
Old Jun 25, 2000, 2:31 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
Jeffo

Any "bonus miles" (like the 25% at gold) are just extra miles. They are just added to your account (like Citibank).

Miles that count towards your status are only your flown miles.
Old Jun 26, 2000, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Island

Thanks for a great summary.

On the Challenge, do discount (non-Y) fares give you 50% points like for ExecPlat requalification? Your post doesn't say, and wanted to double check.
Old Jun 26, 2000, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
I was planning on doing the platinum challenge too and I was told that discount economy (non-Y) gives 100% miles, but only 50% points. As you know, it's the points we need for the challenge.

FewMiles..
Old Jun 26, 2000, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I was having the same problems as you.. The CSR told me that a discount economy ticket would only give me half the points.. my upcoming trip would bring me 2000 points short of reaching platinum.. now i have no choice but to go for gold.

Jason
Old Jun 26, 2000, 3:04 pm

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
That is correct. Discount economy gives you 50% points, full fare economy gives you 100%.
Old Jun 26, 2000, 10:20 pm

Programs: CO, Starwood, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
Stupid question. Can you do a challenge if you are an AA memeber? I am AA Gold and would like to get to Platinum through a challenge. Is that possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.