Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Technical Difficulty Countdown

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2000, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
Technical Difficulty Countdown

I thought it would be nice to start a historical thread to record all of the downtime/errors we receive.

Today (Jul 21) site was "experiencing difficulties" at 11:20 CST.
Old Jul 21, 2000, 11:55 am

That must have started yesterday, I could not access travel planning ALL day. Geez.
Old Jul 21, 2000, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
For nearly the past hour, I've been stuck in this loop when trying to check schedules between ORD and EGE for December 15-22:

"The application is currently processing your last request. Some of these requests can take 10 seconds or more to complete. Please wait a few seconds and press the continue button to see the results of your last request."

Then, after doing as the above message suggests (repeating the process a few times), I receive another message:

"We are having a problem connecting to the database. Please try again later."

To the "AA.com Webmaster": If you're still reviewing these posts, will you please tell us what is going on with your web site? I have never seen a site go downhill like aa.com. I used to travel extensively for business and pleasure and 90% of it was on American Airlines with 100% of that travel booked online. I used to like aa.com; now I despise it. Something has happened over the past year, in particular, to cause this decline. What was it? A change in development staff? A change in management staff? A reduction in your budget? Old equipment that keeps breaking down?

For a variety of reasons I am very glad I no longer travel for business but, if I did, I would probably have to call the Platinum Desk for every booking as I would not have the patience to deal with the inferior performance that aa.com offers us. It is truly shameful.
Old Jul 21, 2000, 2:17 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Just thought I would add my 2 cents - it is 3:16 p.m. (on 7/21) and I cannot access my Aadvantage account balance.
Old Jul 21, 2000, 2:33 pm

AA.Com is now officially down.

July 21, 2000, 4:35pm Eastern Daylight Time.
Old Jul 21, 2000, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Location: Dallas, TX. AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Avis Preferred Select
6:20pm CST.

Not down, but extremely slow to the point it won't price my fare.

Mr Webmaster: Not pricing my fare mean you are not getting my business! What is going on?!?!?!?!
Old Jul 21, 2000, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

And here is something for around 8:30CST

"An error occurred during the final phase of your booking, which may have resulted in a booking. Please contact Online Customer Support at 1-800-222-2377 in the US/Canada or your local reservations office to see if your booking completed. "

I am starting to want to throw things.....like my business to another airline!
Old Jul 21, 2000, 8:55 pm

Just an observation...

Remember several years ago when you couldn't book a flight over the internet, easysabre doesn't count?

Wow, now we are all complaining because we have to pick up the phone and talk to someone. How we get spoiled.

It is true that it is annoying. While we are complaining about AA's website, I wish it would be possible to access your own reservation even if you didn't book them with AA.com. I bought a ticket through Expedia yesterday because the flights left at the times I wanted and the ticket was about $20 cheaper than the AA site. It would be nice if I could access that reservation over AA.com so that I could request upgrades or better seats rather than having to call the Gold desk. Now that would be too much to ask.

Neil
Old Jul 21, 2000, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I think AA web developers try too hard to use every techno-gimmick they can think of, which is why things are slow, have bugs we've all encountered, and keep breaking. If they stuck to the old KISS adage (Keep It Simple, Stupid) they might not win awards from people who get turned on by that sort of thing, but they'd make paying customers a darn sight happier.

I have a Ph.D. in engineering from MIT. (You can look it up in the alumni directory.) I know how to make complicated things work. One of the first things we learned there is: before trying to make a complicated thing work, try to find a simple solution. I am far more impressed by a simple, elegant Web site that gets the job done without fuss than I am by one like AA's, which is full of dynamically generated URLs and other gimmicks that waste my time with no real benefit.

Nielsen Norman Group is one of the world's foremost experts in Web site usability. Their own site (http://www.nngroup.com) is a superb example of usability without glitz. I don't think a business-to-consumer site like AA's should be that stark, but AA has gone too far toward the other extreme. There's a happy medium. I hope the company AA just engaged to improve their site will aim for it.

If anyone at AA wants a serious offline discussion about this, my e-mail link works.
Old Jul 21, 2000, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
neilk:

Too much to ask? You are kidding, I hope!

I don't see this as a situation where we have become spoiled and are complaining that our toy doesn't work any more. American Airlines has made bold statements about "AA.com" supposedly being the best airline web site and they provide us with incentives to use the online booking features. Why, then, don't they follow through with a site that is reliable?

Yes, years ago we had no choice but to speak with a Reservations Agent and, today, I have no problem speaking with them. In fact, I enjoy the interaction with the Reservations personnel.

But there's a central point here that cannot be ignored: Why should I have to call them? I'm already online so I visit AA.com to book my air travel. It should work, plain and simple. Now *that* is definitely *not* too much to ask for!

And neither is your idea as an enhancement to the web site. Accessing any American Airlines booking at AA.com would be wonderful but, first, they need to stabilize the site and ensure that the basics work. AA.com is in pathetic shape and I cannot figure out for the life of me why American Airlines and its parent, AMR Corp., allows this situation to continue.

For years I worked in the IT department of a cruise line and was responsible for the reservations system. If the system we maintained had been anywhere nearly as unreliable as AA.com I would not have lasted more than maybe a month or two. Someone at AMR Corp. and AA needs to get hold of this situation and fast. Meanwhile, I'm off to "UAL.com" where I can at least check availability, price an itinerary and complete a booking (no to mention book a rental car and hotel all within the same record).
Old Jul 22, 2000, 5:20 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
As VP Operations, I, too, am responsible in my company for defining directions of product development and feature set enhancements for our web-based service. If our AA user "wish list" of features is beyond the scope of their architecture or IT resources, then they simply shouldn't build it. If not, then what they build should be built in a manner that ensures reliability. "This @#%@ don't work!" should not be the frequent refrain that it is.

I don't understand why we have a separate database in terms of accessing reservations. Why are we limited to only those reservations booked online? Since I travel so much, it is not uncommon for me to have a travel agent book a flight for me when I'm on the road. I should be able to access that reservation to request upgrades, etc. Of course, that presupposes the site would be functional when I got online!

I think the IT function seriously needs either help or new direction.
Old Jul 22, 2000, 6:52 am
Original Poster

AGGGGGGGGGGGGG

HTTP 500 - Internal server error

UAL.com....here I come.
Old Jul 22, 2000, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
neilk -- that is one of the things they're suspose to have available shortly (all booked AA travel intin's avail through AA.com)

Another observation while I was purchasing Midway tickets last week: One can get E-tickets on Midway through Travelocity, but not AA.com, they don't have the agreement in place, per a web team supervisor, so the only option is paper tix.

Although someone may be monitoring the AA forum here, I'd suggest an email to at least the following:

Don Carty, CEO, [email protected]
Mike Gunn, VP Marketing/Planning, [email protected]
John Samuel, VP Interactive Marketing, [email protected]
Scott Hyden, Managing Director Interactive Marketing, [email protected]
Old Jul 23, 2000, 3:14 pm

Sounds like there are some interesting things on the horizon, let's hope that reliability will be at the top of their list. I too get annoyed with unreliable access. And while they are at it, how about giving us the lowest fare? I shouldn't have to go to Expedia to find a lower fare than AA.com, like I did last week.

On another note, does anybody find it weird that mileage credits can take up to a week, but AA will immediately adjust your "upgrade stickers" balance? At least that's what I have noticed.

Neil
Old Jul 23, 2000, 5:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
https://itinerary.sabre.com

This will let you see in realtime any PNR from the SABRE DB. I have been on the phone with an agent asking for seat assignment clicked refresh and there it was.

For some reason that I can't explain all AA tickets don't generate SABRE records.

I would also wish for more freedom to claim PNR in AA.COM. I believe UAL allows you to do this.

redrock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.