Wiki Posts
Search

Finger Wagging Gate Agent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2000, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
Finger Wagging Gate Agent

Wel, I thought I've seen and heard it all.......last month, the flight attendant gave me a lecture on the LHR-ORD flight when I asked if she had a Programming Guide, as my seat didn't have one. The lecture was the "we're here for your safety not anything else, and we're not responsible for stocking the planes" lecture.

This past weekend, my wife and I were flying from LAX-Syracuse, via ORD. We checked in at 5:15am for our 6:20am flight, were pleased we were upgraded to ORD, and received boarding passes for ORD-SYR, although no upgrades.

When we arrived in Chicago, we went to board, and our boarding passes rejected at the gate. We went to the gate agent, and after some lengthy silence, she gave me new boarding passes for different seats where my wife and I were separated by rows. NO EXPLANATION. NO APOLOGY. I rejected the seats, and told her that the seats were assigned months ago, and boarding passes given out just 6 hours earlier in LA. She and her colleague acted like I was being unreasonable when I told her that I expected her to get my seats back. She said that LA was LA, and that this was Chicago, as if it made a difference. She said "things happen" and I should just get with it. I told her as Platinum flyer I expected her to work it out. As it turns out there were plenty of seats available, just not two together and she asked the interloper to move to another seat, and we got our originally assigned seats. After I thanked her on the plane for her help, she started to give me a lecture......with a wagging finger: "You should know that just because you bought a ticket, you are never guaranteed a specific seat". I told her that as a Platinum flyer I expected her and the other gate employees to see that they delivered on their commitment to me. She huffed off the plane, and I stewed for the whole flight about her attitude.

This was not a day that had any weather delays or flight cancellations, just a routine flying day. I do understand when weather has screwed things up or equipment is taken out of service, and I'm willing to roll with the punches. However, there was no reason for her to have such attitude.

Anyway, service really is taking a dive at AA, if my recent flights are any indication.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
On the surface, I'd call both these experiences unacceptable. Did you get their names so you can write a letter to Customer Service?

On the rare occasion that I'm treated shabbily by an AA employee, even if the person is wearing a name tag I make a point of asking for their first and last names. "I want to make sure I spell your name correctly when I write Consumer Relations to tell them how you treat your best customers. I'm sure they'll be as disappointed as I am." That said, in a polite and even voice, will often turn the attitude around.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
100% Agreement, jAAck.

Sorry to hear about the problems, Jim. I've never experienced anything like that. (Knock on wood.)
Old Jun 6, 2000, 8:27 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
You say your boarding passes were rejected at ORD? Do they have those bar code readers that the agent scans your boarding pass, or do they have some kind of automated boarding procedure? I am ssuming they have the scanners...but I've heard that UA has some kind of auutomated boarding procedure? Never seen either in action that is an automated boarding machine where you don't have to actually hand the pass to an agent?
Old Jun 6, 2000, 10:03 am

UA has got auto-boarding pass readers at all gates at all their main airports now. You just slide in the pass and your little stub pops out the other end--like getting on the subway. I guess the UA drone just stands there to make sure the machine works okay and to call out the boarding rows. I haven't flown AA in awile but they must have these auto-reader things too, right? Makes the line go much quicker and no more "double booking" of seats since the computer scans the duplicate through the gate-reader thing.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
Sounds like you should have demanded an apology right then and there. Not even get into a debate. Just a name and demand for apology. Simply inexcusable.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Jetsetter:

For some time AA has had gate scanners.....but at this time you hand the boarding pass to a junior gate agent and they put it into the scanner, and when things go right, your name and seat assignment show up on the small screen, and you proceed through the gate. However, when there's a scewup and your baording pass doesn't do that, you invariably have to walk over to thedesk at the gate, and deal with the gate agents, who by this time are tired of dealing with the thundering hordes.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 1:24 pm

I have found that the boarding pass scanner/reader does not work all of the time. Rejects are most often caused when a boarding pass is issued using a code/share or partner airline.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 2:37 pm

It sounds like there was a change of aircraft after your originating flight, which caused all the seats on your connecting flight to be re-assigned. That said, you were treated shabbily and should be compensated with something.

You have to shake your head sometimes at how some service employees treat customers...
Old Jun 6, 2000, 5:17 pm

Other than what jAAck said, I would have asked for a supervisor on the spot. Unfortunately, since your flight was boarding, you couldn't have done that.

But if you're in a situation where you have plenty of time to spare, ask for a supervisor then and there. If one comes, they might apologize for the employee on the spot. Unfortunately, if they defend the employee, you just get more ticked.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 8:40 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
i would definitely send a letter in on this to AA Executive Office - the gate agent's behavior was inexcusable -

at the very least you are owed an apology.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 9:04 pm

I've had this happen too often; one reason I'm usually very ready to write down names and why Ms. McCabe-Cipperly may actually know mine.

One suggestion that also usually gets attention: ask for the customer service team leader. That's the official designation of the gate sup; they typically then know you may have a clue and service has often improved markedly after that.
Old Jun 7, 2000, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have written a letter to the Executive Office.

As far as possible equipment change, this was the same equipment as before. Perhaps because of the legroom addition some of the seats may have been switched, but I don't understand why they'd just lose my assignment, and not take notice of it before I was to arrive in Chicago with the seats already assigned in los Angeles earlier that morning. Further, if you're going to shift people, wouldn't you make sure that the Plat passengers were dealt with first?
Old Jun 7, 2000, 6:18 pm

Sorry about your frustrating flight. Remember that letters can be written for exceptional service, also. Last month I wrote a letter to American about an fa who calmed a very unruly passenger. They take the letters seriously and the employees ultimately get feedback.
Old Jun 7, 2000, 8:43 pm

Jim:

I'm so sorry this happened to you. This is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

If it is a Flight Attendant being rude to you, please email [email protected]. Jane is the Vice President of Flight Service.

If it is a marketing/agent problem, write [email protected].

If you don't have a name, flight number, gate, and date will do.

Trust me, we here about the complaints and the compliments. Especially the complaints.
Of course, if you have a compliment (which I hope you will have in the future), please feel free to write those as well.

Once again, I am sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.